What's new

Alum deodorant stopped working. Now what?

I use the potassium Alum also, it's an antibacterial meant to reduce/ eliminate odor, not an antiperspirant which eliminates sweating. I wet the block and apply to damp arm pits, no stained shirts and no odor.

I wet the stone and my arms, moist or damp bit not water running. Then I apply vigotously under each arm for a 60 count.

I decided to go with Old Spice Endurance deodorant (not the antiperspirant). It's been about 2 weeks now and no complaints. Not even sweating that much. Given what people have said, I wonder if the body adapts to the deodorants after a while and you start sweating again. I also bought a new Right Guard antiperspirant with "stain control" as a backup but haven't used it yet. If anything changes i will post.

Last edited:
I just ran into your post and have a similar issue.

I've been going thru Deodorants for the last 5 years after Gillette Gel got rid of their formula and added Anti-Perspirant to the Deodorant, which gave me burning and redness. After trying about a dozen+ of various Alum Blocks, Crystals, all sorts of Hemp/Natural/Earthy products, all w/o anti-persp, nothing worked to stop the BO for more than 6 hours.

I finally settled on Old Spice Fresh Deodorant (no antiperspirant) and been happy for over a year now! I can do 3 swipes per pit at 6am, work all day, go to the Gym, sweat for an hour, come home, do other chores and at 11pm there is still no signs of BO.

Tom's of Maine has done me a good job (deodorant, not anti-perspirant), aluminum-free and one stick lasts quite a long time.

Yes I wanted to get away from aluminum just for health reasons, but I realized awhile ago that it didn't appear to be what bothered my skin. Even most all natural deodorants without aluminum would give me a rash. Oddly I could apply them pretty much anywhere else on my skin and not get a reaction, but my armpits would flare up.

I was comparing ingredients in tons of deodorants, but never could figure out what the problem was. I do get eczema and I wonder if it was related more to that. Since upping my vitamin D intake I get hardly any eczema now so maybe I could go back to almost any deodorant, but I'm pretty happy with alum sprays and the occasional use of Gillette Clinical.

The potassium aluminum sulfate in the alum sprays doesn't bother you?

The potassium aluminum sulfate in the alum sprays doesn't bother you?

No it hasn't. I've used a few different alum sprays, roll ons and the Crystal stick over the last 2 years or so and had no issues. My only complaint is that they don't always control odor the whole day. Even though I'm a desk jockey, I can sometimes tell it's stopped working by mid afternoon. And it's a bit odd to still sweat but then not smell anything. I have found trimming my armpit hair helps too.

Top Bottom