What's new

Tobacquisitions for February 2015

The second month of the new year has started. What will this month hold for all of us Brothers of the Leaf? International Pipe Smoking Day is on the 20th of this month, so there is a potential for some great hauls.

Who's first with the acquisitions for this month? :001_smile

proxy.php

From last thread...

Fleabay purchase incoming.

It's a 2012 NASPC limited edition tin.

It's based off of the sci fi novel from Arthur C. Clarke. I was annoyed that people were paying ridiculous amounts of cash for the LOTR stuff, so I grabbed this one instead.

I have no idea if the blends are any good but I like the naming/packaging of that series because of that. Didn't he also do some Heinlein-themed blends?

I have no idea if the blends are any good but I like the naming/packaging of that series because of that. Didn't he also do some Heinlein-themed blends?

No clue. There's too many blends to keep track of.

I have faith that any Pease blend is at the very least smokable. This one sounds like an interesting blend due to the fact that it's an English with rum added.

2010 tinsky Christmas pioe should arrive this week. It's a birth year pipe for my daughter, I settled on dark coral after hemming and hawing for 5 months.

It's based off of the sci fi novel from Arthur C. Clarke. I was annoyed that people were paying ridiculous amounts of cash for the LOTR stuff, so I grabbed this one instead.

The Middle Earth blends? Are they expensive where you are? They seem about the same as everything else here in MO.

The Middle Earth blends? Are they expensive where you are? They seem about the same as everything else here in MO.

NASPC (North American Society of Pipe Collectors) releases a small batch blend made for them by GL Pease each year. You can only buy them at the NASPC Pipe Show.

Each year they release a new blend that's a twist of the LOTR franchise (i.e. Aragorn, Balrog, Shelob's Lair, etc.). They also release blends based on Sci Fi themes, which aren't as fervently fought over on eBay (i.e. Childhood's End, Area 51, Arrakis Spice, etc.).

Since the LOTR tins were easily going over $30 a tin, I decided to focus on the lesser sought after Sci Fi tin. It was still a bit more than I wanted to pay, but I was annoyed and determined to come away with something. :lol:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423054122.148081.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423054137.418341.jpg

10 dollar steal of a deal (IMO) off of yahoo auctions japan. NOS Prince knocker ash tray. There also appears to be a hole for a tamper as well.

Okay so I forgot where I was for a second. I was like,"Lather bowl on the left, cool. Brush rest on the right, double cool. What's that little foamy thing?"

Needless to say it became clear momentarily, and I spent time kicking myself for being an idiot.

Okay so I forgot where I was for a second. I was like,"Lather bowl on the left, cool. Brush rest on the right, double cool. What's that little foamy thing?"

Needless to say it became clear momentarily, and I spent time kicking myself for being an idiot.

Haha no worries. I am always reluctant to get the cork dirty and ruin it's pristine appearance. I'll probably use it tonight.

Haha no worries. I am always reluctant to get the cork dirty and ruin it's pristine appearance. I'll probably use it tonight.

That shouldn't be terribly difficult to replace. You can buy new foamies and all you need other than that is superglue.

I was watching that on eBay! The seller really brought that one back. Great Tobacquisition!
Thanks. I had to bid to the sky to get it. Not happy about that, but I wanted this one out of all the others. Yes, the restoration was awesome. Have to break it in again, as it was reamed down to the briar. It was a little harsh on the first bowl, but it is a short pipe and I may have been puffing a little too agressively. The draft hole is a little high, evidenced by the ash on my tongue at the last of the bowl. Some pipe mud might be in order. It's also just part of getting used to how the pipe smokes. For a monster bowl, it is as light as a feather.

Thanks. I had to bid to the sky to get it. Not happy about that, but I wanted this one out of all the others. Yes, the restoration was awesome. Have to break it in again, as it was reamed down to the briar. It was a little harsh on the first bowl, but it is a short pipe and I may have been puffing a little too agressively. The draft hole is a little high, evidenced by the ash on my tongue at the last of the bowl. Some pipe mud might be in order. It's also just part of getting used to how the pipe smokes. For a monster bowl, it is as light as a feather.

I have some Custombilts and Tom Howards that are ridiculously light for their size. I always wonder if it has to be the Algerian briar, the curing method, the age of the wood, or a combination of all three. I've found that my wide bowled stubby Custombilts smoke VaPers exquisitely.

Top Bottom