What's new

Pre-owned Fountain Pens

Other than infrequent NIB sighting on the GDF or Panjo, is there a place y'all recommend for pre-owned fountain pens? I did a Google search on B&B for antique stores and such, and it seemed like many members didn't recommend this route unless you really know what you are doing because many will require some repair work.

I'm just looking for a reliable source to try some gently used pens with italic and flex nibs.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Yeah... I don't even know what GDF or Panjo is, I only know Ebay, and not so much for flex nibs per se. Certainly buying from the 'bay is a crap shoot at best. Largely depends on the pen in question. I don't know that I would put Italics and flex in the same ballpark, italics being fairly common and flex not so much. Italics being available in modern currently available pens, flex only in vintage or expensive customs, Noodler's not withstanding.

gopens has a lot of vintage pens, his prices are on the higher side though. he died have a large selection to choose from

a few suggestions:

1 - Start lurking the Fountain Pen Network site. (it's like B&B for pen people) They have an active buy-sell-trade subforum. That's a good reference for prices. The descriptions tend to be verbose, and you can converse with the seller. Maybe work out a return policy.

2 - If possible, hit a pen show. They're few and far between, but a real goldmine for knowledge and gear. Google tells me the Dallas show is in September.

3 - real brick-n-mortar pen shops are rare. Even more rare, knowledgeable shops with vintage pens. We have two in the DC area. If you can find one, make a friend. Pay the extra few bucks and get your inks/paper there. The Q&A is invaluable, and you can try stuff out. I'll be sad when our shops close-up.

Prices do seem to be falling at the moment. It might be a good time to shop.

Peyton street pens is a good seller. He has lots to choose from. WWW.peytonstreetpens.com

I'll second this. I have purchased several vintage pens from PSP, and their restoration and prices have been good as well as their service.

Wow - PSP has a lot of pens!

Thanks for the recommendations. I ended up with a Pilot78g with a broad italic nib. I was wanting an inexpensive way to try out italic to see if it better suits what I'm trying to do with everyday printing/writing. If not, it was a minimal investment!

a few suggestions:1 - Start lurking the Fountain Pen Network site. (it's like B&B for pen people) They have an active buy-sell-trade subforum. That's a good reference for prices. The descriptions tend to be verbose, and you can converse with the seller. Maybe work out a return policy.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did sign up for FPN, and I've been lurking at this point.

2 - If possible, hit a pen show. They're few and far between, but a real goldmine for knowledge and gear. Google tells me the Dallas show is in September.

I checked this one already, and found the same thing with Dallas in September. It is only a three hour drive to Dallas from Austin, so I'm thinking this might be a good weekend to plan a trip to the pen show (err, I mean a romantic get-away with my bride where we just happen to check out some pens!)

3 - real brick-n-mortar pen shops are rare. Even more rare, knowledgeable shops with vintage pens.

The only thing for fountain pens I've found in Austin is Paradise Pens, which is a chain store selling new pens in a local mall. I was fortunate to meet Linda, the store manager, and she is a fountain pen user, and enthusiast. She let me ink several starter pens (Lamy, Waterman, and another) plus she let me try her personal Vanishing Point. The shop prices were high, but I bought a Lamy Safari starter kit from her because Linda was so helpful and nice.

I have been buying watermans. 20 since dec. from ebay. I learn the prices then snipe the low ones, clean with an ultrasonic cleaner, most are dried out and thats all that wrong with them, so far so good.
Also there are some great china and japan pens cheap that write well , just no flex, flex everyone bids up high if its decent. Gl.

I am a 2+ year member over on FPN and have purchased at least two pens from members on their classifieds. A Waterman Phileas (NOS) and a restored Esterbrook J. Reasonable pricing as well. I was PIF'd a black Bell Systems Esterbrook LJ that had been recently restored.

I have also purchased two Pelikans from a pen pal I met on FPN. (NOS 120 Merz & Krell EF & a M205 in Toledo Red M). The remainder of my previously owned pens were all bought on ebay. (Pelikan M150, M205, Parker 45, Parker 45 Flighter, Parker 51 Special set, Parker 45 desk set) I have had good luck with all. The desk pen/set needed to be soaked and the tines need to be aligned. That is the most I have had to do with anything.

I've had goodluck on Ebay with Pelikans. Two of the Pelikans still had the nib size sticker on them... I have also bought pens from Peyton Street Pen and look at her site often. Some of the pen repair guys post pens but they get sold quick off of their sites.

There is a gentleman close to me that has a shop and he has lots hidden under the desk you have to ask about. The antique shops around me get looked over pretty hard for anything of interest but I check often.

The only pen I've had a problem with was an Argentinian Parker 51 but I knew it was going to need a restore before I bought it but then I broke the nib and have sense lost the body and cap...

I have purchased pens from both Ebay and FountainPenNetwork with great results. From Ebay a great old Mont Blanc 146 from a gentleman who had worked at the German embassy. The pen had been his daily writer and he was retired and was not using anymore. Also purchased some Pelikans from a gentleman who had a stationary store but was closing it and was selling the Pelikans at cost, got some great prices there. On FPN I purchased a wonderful Parker 51 from a gentleman from Spain. Pen was in great shape and is my smoothest writing pen. I have had faith in people and have had good luck with all purchases.

Top Bottom