What's new

New Tools

When I made the decision to start DE shaving I opted to start with what was cheap and available locally. This ended up being a VDH brush and soap, and Dollar General razor blades; I ordered a Merkur 33. Shaving for a few weeks I decided that I needed a better brush. The VDH was making me feel like I was turning into a boar with the amount of hairs it shed. I ordered a sampler pack of blades a badger brush, and some Col Conk's soap. The first thing that I learned was that with a new brush sterilised does not translate to defunked. I followed my normal preshave which consists of soaking the brush and taking a shower. My first attempt at lathering was a failure, it was weak and runny. I followed the standard Army practice of taking a knee, drinking water, and changing my socks. My second attempt was much better, thick cushion, slick but sticky in a few spots. I broke out a fresh crystal blade, and focused on my shaving technique. At first I could not tell the difference in the blade. I did two passes one wtg, and xtg. I rinsed off and was surprised, the shave was good with little irritation and without cuts. I believe in letting the tools do the work and with quality tools it is much better. I plan on shaving twice with each type of blade to evaluate them. The one question I do have is about blade longevity. I read that a blade lasted for x number of shaves, but what constitutes a shave? Is it one pass, or is it one day of three passes?

Thanks,

Roz

The one question I do have is about blade longevity. I read that a blade lasted for x number of shaves, but what constitutes a shave? Is it one pass, or is it one day of three passes?

Regardless of the number of passes, I think most people count a 'shave' as one unique experience (i.e., pre-shave, lather, shave with as many passes as needed, post-shave care). If you do this twice a day, that would be two 'shaves' on your blade count.

As I'm in the blade sampler testing stage now, I don't worry about longevity. I do three shaves per blade, and I try at least two blades of each type -- so I get six shaves per blade type. I have run into a dud before where I chucked what I felt was a bad blade after one shave and tried another of the same blade type.

Hello, welcome to B&B.

I count my blade longevity by days, every 4th day I change the blade. I do three passes for each shave, wtg, atg, east to west.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
You can do from 1 to 4 passes and it counts as one shave. As mentioned above, it's a good idea to go through 2 blades of a kind to find out its characteristics and technique required; Changing too often does show their potential for you.

Good advice above. Blade life varies from individual to individual depending on your beard and skin type.

Hello and welcome, Roz. B&B is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You will learn a lot here.

Welcome to the forum! I use 1 blade for a head shave and face shave. Then I bin it. Some guys have thick facial hair and some have fuzz. All blades are different. Of course YMMV (your mileage may vary)

Welcome to the forum! 1-3 passes each day can easily be considered one full use of a blade as it depends on you! I would suggest trying each blade pack for one week to see what you think of them unless one or a few of the blades in your sample pack are just terrible, right from the start. Good luck.

When I made the decision to start DE shaving I opted to start with what was cheap and available locally. This ended up being a VDH brush and soap, and Dollar General razor blades; I ordered a Merkur 33. Shaving for a few weeks I decided that I needed a better brush. The VDH was making me feel like I was turning into a boar with the amount of hairs it shed. I ordered a sampler pack of blades a badger brush, and some Col Conk's soap. The first thing that I learned was that with a new brush sterilised does not translate to defunked. I followed my normal preshave which consists of soaking the brush and taking a shower. My first attempt at lathering was a failure, it was weak and runny. I followed the standard Army practice of taking a knee, drinking water, and changing my socks. My second attempt was much better, thick cushion, slick but sticky in a few spots. I broke out a fresh crystal blade, and focused on my shaving technique. At first I could not tell the difference in the blade. I did two passes one wtg, and xtg. I rinsed off and was surprised, the shave was good with little irritation and without cuts. I believe in letting the tools do the work and with quality tools it is much better. I plan on shaving twice with each type of blade to evaluate them. The one question I do have is about blade longevity. I read that a blade lasted for x number of shaves, but what constitutes a shave? Is it one pass, or is it one day of three passes?

Thanks,

Roz
3 Strikes/shaves and im out.....onto to the new

Top Bottom