What's new

Determining coti speed factor?

The only thing I ever really use my verte slurry stone for is to slurry new things I have no native stone for and I just want a mostly all stone slurry just to see what is doing with it. It's a bit crap for grinding against an actual verte apart from maybe misting a bit of particulate into your water during final polish. I have a real soft spot for super hard, slow cotis. They tend to be glorious for finishing old wedges.

Last edited:
So you can do a "nagura" type progression with different Belgian rubbers on a hard Coti to get where you need to be. That's interesting. Never thought of it that way before.

I don't think I would take it to that descriptive extreme, but you can bend the coti's refinement stage behavior to varying degrees with different slurry stones.

So you can do a "nagura" type progression with different Belgian rubbers on a hard Coti to get where you need to be. That's interesting. Never thought of it that way before.

It is possible, i try`d many times, you need at least a very hard maybe LaVerte, a maching slurry stone (LaVerte or any other very hard and slow one) and a soft Slurry stone with high cutting ability (like La Dressante, La Veinette, La Veille Rouge). You will get different results, but in the end it will be always a coti edge ;). It is like honing with a hard Jnat only with Botan and Tomo Nagura, well done you got a Jnat edge just like done with DMT/Atoma only or full nagura progression.

I just play around with my slurrys, when it comes to a real task, i choose a Coticule that is hard and fast or a soft and fast one, but never use a slurry stone. The only exceptions are my dead slow LaVerte hones, that i use mainly for just touchups or with a slurry stone (most likely a LaVeilleRouge (nowadays) wich turns them into moderate fast hones on slurry.

Greets Sebastian.

Top Bottom