What's new

Single edge razor angle

Dumb question, how do you hold a single edge razor against your skin? Is there a recommended angle to use? Do you use short strokes? How long does a blade last? Thanks guys.

Anyone? I guess I'm just going to have to roll the dice tomorrow. If you don't hear from me again I guessed wrong. 😵

It depends a little bit razor your using? If it is a Gem razor, you can rest the flat "hood" of the razor against your face and drop the handle slightly from that angle. The good thing about SE shaving is you will get very good loud feedback from your SE razor, if it is cutting you will likely know it. Check out the single edge sub forum under the safety razor section to see if they talk about your razor in particular. Good Luck!

jc

It depends a little bit razor your using? If it is a Gem razor, you can rest the flat "hood" of the razor against your face and drop the handle slightly from that angle. The good thing about SE shaving is you will get very good loud feedback from your SE razor, if it is cutting you will likely know it. Check out the single edge sub forum under the safety razor section to see if they talk about your razor in particular. Good Luck!

jc

+1 I think it is about a 5 degree angle.

I started with the GEM MMTOC, I read the SE forum and even watched a video on using SE's.

My first SE shave was great. I love the sound effects, as someone put it ... "sounds like buttering toast"

mswofford

Rest in Peace
The blade to face angle is shallower with SE compared to DE. MrGuysRazors has youtube videos demonstrating use of the Gem MMOC which are excellent; He's also a B&B member.

Thanks Mike, I just checked that out and found my blade angle was much steeper than what he used. i'll have to practice that.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The head of the razor almost flat on your skin is a good starting point.

You can hear it more than feel it. Don't run water, don't play music, just listen.
Too much angle and you will feel the tug and hear very little.
Too little angle you will hear the odd pop.
Finding the sweet spot, which may feel absurdly shallow compared to DE, you will hear a roar as each hair is mowed down. Some say buttering toast, I say Ferrari.

The head of the razor almost flat on your skin is a good starting point.
This.

I use injectors, and starting flat on skin is SOP...then increase angle until it feels (and sounds) right. It's really subjective -- and IME depends on the condition (length, softness) of the beard and the sharpness/age of the blade, and the aggressiveness of the razor (assuming you have a rotation).

My $0.02...

Well? How was the SE shave and what was your tool of choice?

Pretty good shave. Is there a particular right way to load the blade? Here is the weapon courtesy of a kind fellow member here. I didn't get to snap a pic this morning so I grabbed one online.

$il_570xN.599211279_c8id.jpg

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I open the cap, hold the blade by the sides, slide it in. Make sure that the sharp part of the blade is resting under the two little tabs and then close the cap.

I open the cap, hold the blade by the sides, slide it in. Make sure that the sharp part of the blade is resting under the two little tabs and then close the cap.

+1, make sure the blade is centered and is against the blade stops.

I keep a large, fairly powerful magnifying glass handy. Every time I load a blade I closely examine the razor.

I check that the corners of the blade are firmly against the blade stops, the blade is held firmly in place by the cap and spring, the blade is flat against the base, and the blade gap is uniform.

This has saved my face from major bloodletting on more than one occasion.

--Bob

That's a Gem Featherweight. Start with cap flat on face, then lift top slightly away from face and shave away.

I keep a large, fairly powerful magnifying glass handy. Every time I load a blade I closely examine the razor.

I check that the corners of the blade are firmly against the blade stops, the blade is held firmly in place by the cap and spring, the blade is flat against the base, and the blade gap is uniform.

This has saved my face from major bloodletting on more than one occasion.

--Bob
I like your thinking. I need readers anyhow.

Top Bottom