What's new

Damaskeene Handle Issue

It seems as if the handle of the Gem I got won't screw in and stay on without getting loose easily. Was there supposed to be a nut on top of this? Or is it a problem of worn threads? What can I do to fix this? Get a nut? Or just glue it on using nail polish or loctite or what have you?

There was no nut. The threads are just in the head, and it would seem those have been bent/enlarged slightly over time. Loctite would probably be a good option to fix it, because it's not permanent.

I think those handles are the same size threads as the EverReady 1924 (standard 10/32). If that's the case, you can also try a setscrew with a DE Handle.

Unlike many other 1912's every Damaskeene that I have encountered has the smaller 8-32 thread.

However, if the threads are really shot, you have nothing to lose by drilling it out and re-tapping it to 10-32. DeWalt sells single drill and tap kits for a few dollars - any decent hardware store (Home Depot, etc) should have them.

Once you have re-tapped the handle socket you can either use a handle from a later 1912 or an Ever-Ready 1924, or you can add a setscrew and use a modern DE handle as in the image below:

Here is my Damaskeene Frankenrazor:

$sotd_xmas.JPG

Note that the plating is pretty worn. I would never do this to a Damaskeene that has any collector value. However, if your threads are stripped it is your only real option.

--Bob

There are lots of things you can do in addition to what has been already suggested. The simplest is to get a stainless-steel or brass lock-washer, either a split one or a star. The star will be thinner, but the split will hold a bit better. Get both, they're only about a nickel each. If this works for you, no need to go further.

Another cheap solution is to "deform" the threads on the head gently to make then not-parallel. They're hold onto the handle a little better, but being soft brass, you'll be back to square 1 if you over-tighten.

Lastly, if you're real good at soldering, a super-thin application of lead-free solder on the handle threads works wonders by increasing the interference between the handle and head threads.

Top Bottom