What's new

Peated Bourbon - Any Takers?

I went on a tour of the Buffalo Trace distillery. One of the interesting experiments I saw aging in the warehouse was a few barrels labeled "Peated Bourbon". It is still in the experimental state and it may or may not ever make it to market. I thought it sounded interesting.

Do do you think it sounds interesting?

I definitely think it sounds interesting. I would try it if they take it to market. I love peated sctoch. Peated bourbon does seem odd but I won't knock it until i try it. I like the idea that distilleries are dong different things.

Same here . I like peated scotch and I would at least be interested in trying a peated bourbon for comparison. I try to get into bourbons but with very few exceptions they all taste the same or too similar to me.

Same here . I like peated scotch and I would at least be interested in trying a peated bourbon for comparison. I try to get into bourbons but with very few exceptions they all taste the same or too similar to me.

What bourbons did you try? If you did not try Four Roses Single Barrel, you may find you like it. I currently have 4 single barrels in my bar - Jack Daniels SB, Four Roses SB, Eagle Rare SB & Rock Hill Farms SB. They all have different flavor profiles, although the Eagle Rare and Rock Hill Farms are reasonable close to each other (and they come from the same distillery and same mash bill, so that is to be expected).

I have tried and enjoyed Clear Creak Distillery's McCarthy's whisk(e)y, its an american peated barley whisk(e)y which I guess is more akin to Scotch than Bourbon, but seems to be aged in fresh barrels.

I would love to try a peated Bourbon..

And to Brucea, the more you try, the more you can appreciate the differences from one Bourbon to another, just don't try more than two next to each other; for me it took a Scotch hiatus to get into the subtlties of Bourbon. Now I can appreciate both.

What bourbons did you try? If you did not try Four Roses Single Barrel, you may find you like it. I currently have 4 single barrels in my bar - Jack Daniels SB, Four Roses SB, Eagle Rare SB & Rock Hill Farms SB. They all have different flavor profiles, although the Eagle Rare and Rock Hill Farms are reasonable close to each other (and they come from the same distillery and same mash bill, so that is to be expected).
Thank you!! I will take your advice. I have tried Buffalo Trace,JD of course,Gentlemen Jack, Bulleit(sp) Which at this point is my favorite and a few more. For some reason a lot of them seem to my taste buds to have the same almost cheery like aftertaste.Only happens with the bourbon. I stick with single malt scotch and aged rum for that reason. But I will these suggestions a try.

I'd try it out of curiosity but bourbon is bourbon and that would not be in my opinion. In fact - would it pass the actual regulations in place for bourbon?

According to Wikipedia:

Sooo, as long as 51% of the grain bill is corn, who is saying some % of the rest can't be peated malt?

Your list is missing one requirement - no added flavorings. Not sure if using peat to dry grain would be an added flavor or not. Regardless of what it ends up being called, I would like to try it.

I've sampled a local product, Corsair Triple Smoke, but it is called American Malt Whiskey not Bourbon. Very tasty. A bit more sweet than an Islay Scotch.

Top Bottom