What's new

What's your take on Windows 10?

I'd be happy to stick with XP, except now they've stopped supporting it, meaning no security fixes. Win 7 is pretty nice- it does run faster than XP, however I don't see anything that makes it worth upgrading, and there is one huge drawback - it is not backwards compatible. Many older apps break on Windows 7. You have to purchase newer ones. I have to keep an XP VM running so I can continue to run some custom apps I have. These run perfectly fine on XP, but if I want to run on anything newer, I have to rewrite/recompile the apps in a newer development environment. Sometimes that's easy, sometimes that's not. Anytime it's wasted time to rewrite something that's not broken, just because MS decided to change what they will support in their OS. It's their choice. I advise people to always stick with what came with their PC (unless it's ME) and not to waste their money/ time in upgrading unless MS provides it free or stops supporting what they have. MS wants us to upgrade every time. I preach the opposite. Same story with Office. I defy anyone to show me a substantive improvement in MS Office in the last decade. Most people I know hate the interface changes they made a few versions back where they radically changed all the menus. If you are in an enterprise, Outlook and OCA are improved. I still would never choose Outlook as my email client if not forced to at work.

I didn't mean to go on a rant- I should have known better than to get started:)

Just got 7 last year. I won't be in the market for a new OS for a couple of years. They will probably be at Windows 15 by then.

I've used nearly all versions of windows between personal and business use. The only one I can say for sure I never used is Vista.

Each version of Windows seems to be more stable than the last. I don't see the BSOD anymore. Sure the occasional freeze, but these are computers after all, not magic boxes.

It looks like Windows 10 is designed to separate the desktop experience from the tablet/phone experience better than Windows 8 did. But you will still have access to your stuff across devices.

I am a fan of One Drive and access it both through my computers and through my Android tablet and phone (for photos and docs).

I have a Windows 7 laptop and an 8.1 laptop. I was probably one of the few fans of Windows 8/8.1. It came with a free Xbox music subscription until they stopped that in Dec. 2014. So you could stream anything that was on Xbox music for free. But I do like the UI. I always viewed the windows icon in the bottom left corner as the start menu. It took you to the modern or metro screen where I had all the icons for programs like Word, Excel, etc. It seemed like a start screen - a giant start menu in my books. It was also good to see that MS wasn't resting on its laurels and was looking for something to stay competitive in the changing computing landscape.

I will upgrade the windows 8 machine for sure to 10 once they have a stable version out. If the Windows 7 machine can run 10, I will likely also upgrade it.

How many times a week will 10 need to be rebooted for patches, installs and crashes? 10 times?

I have 7 on 4 machines. It's fairly stable but I do find issues here and there. Mac OS is solid though. If I want to do work and no hassle I open the Macbook Pro and off to the races. Also FREE OS upgrades run on the same hardware I've had for 4 years without needing upgrades. I've gone up 2 versions of the OS since I bought it.

When I start my Windows machine up from sleep it always has a patch it wants to install. Disruptive, unstable and annoying. I also find my hardware based RAID mirror gets corrupted and needs rebuilding too frequently.

Last edited:
I also find my hardware based RAID mirror gets corrupted and needs rebuilding too frequently.

If it's a hardware RAID array, the issue isn't likely to be with the OS. Do you have regular desktop drives in the array? If so, that's more likely the cause of rebuilds. Desktop drives sometimes will get marked as bad (especially on bootup) in a RAID array because they don't have bounded error recovery response times like enterprise drives do. If you happen to be using an Intel Rapid Storage RAID adapter, there is a well known bug in the driver that also can lead to dropped disks. Upgrading to the latest version should fix it, if that's what you're using.

Windows 7 has been pretty good for me, and quite stable. It's not as good as Linux, of course :).

Microsoft announced today that it will offer one year of free upgrades to Windows 10 to current users of Windows 7 and 8.

The new OS offers numerous things that users have been asking for, including a return of a real Start Menu. Also in the works is the end of Internet Explorer, being replaced by a browser called Project Spartan. It is a Chrome-like browser, offering a leaner, meaner program that purports to give users a richer online experience. And Holographic goggles will be offered as an after-market option.

Discuss!

Every time I read that a web site or program wants to provide me with a "richer online experience", it is always at the loss of my privacy! Personally, I can do without the "richer online experience"--to quote Shrek, "I like my privacy." :angry:

. If you are in an enterprise, Outlook and OCA are improved. I still would never choose Outlook as my email client if not forced to at work.

I didn't mean to go on a rant- I should have known better than to get started:)

Trying supporting Lotus Notes and then get back to me. :lol:

Windows 10 is not worthy of being called an OS Developers Preview is just a fusion and more cohesive 8.0 or 8.1 Windows 8 was always awkward at best. I never missed the start menu but DP looks a lot more like 8 should have looked like to begin with. DP caused a hd to go out prematurely even though Windows own error checking said the drive was fine. I had troubles with DP more than once and the search was not as good as 8, 8.1 went downhill and DP is even worse for search.

To make a long story short DP was at 100% disk usage and I could not do anything, mouse would freeze up, no commands could be run, Taskmgr would not run nor could I start services.msc so I ended up installing Ubuntu which ran well and responsive despite showing disk errors. I put Window's 8 back on and ran WD hdd utility and it could not complete due to too many disk errors. Right not I put in another hd and have installed W7 Ultimate which uses far less resources than W8 and later.

I have a new Desktop on order so this will do in a pinch til the new one arrives.

Top Bottom