What's new

What's your take on Windows 10?

I have 8 on my desktop,horrible,absolutely horrible......How do I acquire Win 10 for free ??
Just wait for it. Microsoft will make an announcement sometime in the next few months, and you will have one year to complete the free download.

I am "happy" with 7.
I skipped 8 intentionally.
MS skipped 9 (thank you Bill)
Wait and see attitude regarding 10.

Now if only my PC can do Mac OS without any addon...

From IT perspective and having to support end users, I've have enough problems upgrading users from XP to Windows 7. Windows 8 would have be nearly impossible. From getting rid of the start button to the stupid tiles, it's awful IMO. Hopefully 10 is much better which is usually the MS way. One good O/S to one bad one.

I haven't really kept up with any of the Windows 10 news. I think I'm getting to the age where I'm over trying every beta O/S I can get my hands on and hanging out for the next big release. I guess I'll check it out at some point in the future.

I also think I lost whatever small amount of respect I might have had for Microsoft when they released Server 2012 with tiles....

I survived 20+ years of writing software in a Windows environment by following 2 simple rules:

First and foremost, NEVER, EVER buy a Windows operating system before it has had its first major revision. Microsoft doesn't do Beta Testing.

Second, assume that any new Windows operating system will consume at least 25% more memory and 50% more disk space than the previous version.

Me, I'm still using XP Pro -- like thousands of others. It does absolutely everything that I want to do, without all the excess overhead tacked on in 7, 8, and 10.

Rumor has it why there is no Windows 9 is because Windows 8 is so hated they just decided to go with Windows 10 as a way to get further away from 8. Sort of like..it's not an upgrade and simply jumping from 8 to 9. It's a completely new OS and we are calling it Windows 10.
No, no, no, that's all wrong. It's because Seven Ate Nine!
[emoji23]

What about Bob?
proxy.php

I thought I was the only one who remembered ol' Bob.

I think he and his pal Clippy got picked up on skid row one night by a few of Billy the G's boys, and they now both sleep with the fishes.

I installed a beta release a some time ago and I quite liked it. I haven't used it much since, but I surely liked it more than the first time I used win 8. Most probably I will get the update some time after the new OS launches.

I have 8 on my desktop,horrible,absolutely horrible......How do I acquire Win 10 for free ??
It will be available through windows update for free for a year when win 10 launches.

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy with the preview copy. Been playing around with it here and there in a VM without too many issues. Going to port over a VM I use daily for work and see how it goes.

I would really like to see the new server OS that's going to be released. Sever 2012 is horrible. All of my clients that run it have issues with crashes.

Last edited:
My understanding is that every other revision of Windows is the 'good' one
ie 3.11 95 98 2000 XP Vista Win7 Win8 Win8.1 Win10
I'm considering win8.1 as 'nine' since we all consider it the 'fix' to Win8
Now going by that, Win10 seems to be the bad one again :laugh:

LOL! That's great!

Reminds me of this "classic" (back when Firefox was trying to take the market and "Netscape" was still a valid choice)

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is that every other revision of Windows is the 'good' one
ie 3.11 95 98 2000 XP Vista Win7 Win8 Win8.1 Win10
I'm considering win8.1 as 'nine' since we all consider it the 'fix' to Win8
Now going by that, Win10 seems to be the bad one again :laugh:

Problem with that reasoning is that some of those "bad" OS's were actually fine.
Windows 2000, for instance, was solid as a server OS -- it was never really meant to be a consumer OS.
Windows 95 was also very good -- it was superseded by 98 of course -- which WAS better -- but after a couple of patches 95 was fine. Same story with Vista; after it got a service pack, it was fine. It just wasn't as good as 7. Vista mostly got bad press because it was a major change from it's predecessor -- there was no way it was ever going to be thought of as "good" -- but it served to introduce people to the look and feel that Win7 carried on so successfully.

IMO the reason MS jumped right to Windows 10 is to "keep up" with Apple which is currently at OSX (ten)

If it's easier to use than Windows 8, I'm up for it. Got my daughter a laptop for Christmas and it has Windows 8 on it. I can't figure the damn thing out. I really have a hard time using it...and I basically grew up wih computers (I'm 36 for the record).

I've been testing Win10 here at work and I rather like it.
It's really fast with Office 2013.
When the time comes to upgrade from 8.1 I will have no hesitation.

If it's easier to use than Windows 8, I'm up for it. Got my daughter a laptop for Christmas and it has Windows 8 on it. I can't figure the damn thing out. I really have a hard time using it...and I basically grew up wih computers (I'm 36 for the record).
+1 ... I can't figure it out either. I uninstalled all my downloaded apps (facebook, youtube, etc.) And now I run it all through Chrome browser on the desktop.

It runs faster and cleaner and uses a lot less Background RAM.

Top Bottom