What's new

The 3017 Martin de Candre Fest - It's Live!

Hi Parjay
Very interesting. My LPL has a stronger scent than my MdC, it is very pronounced, and it is indescribable, maybe the most beautiful scent of any of my soaps. (QC? wonder if there are batch variations?) But if it wasn't slick for you, that must have been a looooong 3017!

For me, they both load quickly, and can be as slick as I get from anything else. MdC needs less water up front, more later to get it to perform. I load dry, as I have mentioned more than people may want to read. :blush:

I actually 3017ed an LpL just before starting the MdC. I find that the MdC loads more quickly and has a must stronger scent, my LpL was all but odorless. Unfortunately, I don't get great shaves from either, and find that they are both second tier soaps when it comes to slickness.

If you are getting results this way, so be it. But for me, the Marco Method would be the polar opposite to the method that works for me. I also would be consuming 2+ grams per shave with no increased benefit, rather than less than a gram. Do try a damp—wrung and shaken—brush, then add the water in as you build lather on your face.

I'm using the Marco Method™ for bowl lathering MdC.

All this talk of using a dry bush has got me thinking I'll try it out this afternoon and see what happens. I thought I read the MdC was somewhat thirsty?

If you are getting results this way, so be it. But for me, the Marco Method would be the polar opposite to the method that works for me. I also would be consuming 2+ grams per shave with no increased benefit, rather than less than a gram. Do try a damp—wrung and shaken—brush, then add the water in as you build lather on your face.

I'm a bowl latherer, but I did try a dryer brush today. I noticed it built hardly any protolather on the puck, and I, of course, had to add several drops of water a couple times to build up a good lather. It was thicker, and took a little longer to build up, but I didn't see any discernible difference on the shave quality.

I am still in. So far I have consumed 22g after 25 shaves. By the time I get done with it the jar should have almost enough frequent flyer miles for an upgrade. Two weeks ago was Toulouse, next week is Washington DC and the week after that is a couple days in San Diego. So far the shaves have been all enjoyable even though I have used several brushes, random de blades in my dopp bag and even trying to learn on a straight.

Ruckin.

Plugging along. I had another plane trip this week and took the La Toja stick along. MdC compared very favorably upon my return. MdC is nice and slick, though not as slick as La Toja is for me. I don't know whether to chalk that up to the fact that La Toja is a stick, and the method of application just leaves more residual soap on my face when lathering, or if there is something fundamentally different about the soaps (probably a combination of the two). Regardless, I'm very happy with both. :001_smile

I will also note for the good of the order that detouring briefly to try some other soap or cream during this 3017 effort is not a betrayal in the slightest. We are men, not machines, and the odd shave or two (or a few) to add a little variety to our effort is perfectly ok.

I will also note for the good of the order that detouring briefly to try some other soap or cream during this 3017 effort is not a betrayal in the slightest. We are men, not machines, and the odd shave or two (or a few) to add a little variety to our effort is perfectly ok.

That's good to see! I'm 25 out of 26 days so far with MdC, but I was thinking my other soaps aren't feeling the love lately. I thought about sneaking in a day with some Stirling or Saint Charles Shave to mix things up.

That's good to see! I'm 25 out of 26 days so far with MdC, but I was thinking my other soaps aren't feeling the love lately. I thought about sneaking in a day with some Stirling or Saint Charles Shave to mix things up.

Actually, it is a good idea, this way you can easily determine that MdC is much better :)

Had a quick two pass shave last night. 15 swirls using my Phyl8 that has best badger hair. Enough for two passes on the face and leftover to spread on everything afterward. Fantastic as usual.

Cheers,

M

Had a quick two pass shave last night. 15 swirls using my Phyl8 that has best badger hair. Enough for two passes on the face and leftover to spread on everything afterward. Fantastic as usual.

Cheers,

M

The P8 is a great brush. Duke 3 knot in a much cooler handle.

One month down, gents, albeit a short one. Any time you get to turn the calendar during a 3017 effort is a milestone, so relish it. For me, I have 23 shaves on the jar this month, and the soap is below the threads on the jar 3 months to go at current rate of use, at least. I did a bowl lather today and was rewarded with this:

View attachment 553169

Still trying to machine my way through...every day since I started w/o detour...some days I'm bored with it...some days I'm in a hurry...but all are great lather days

I'm a bowl latherer, but I did try a dryer brush today. I noticed it built hardly any protolather on the puck, and I, of course, had to add several drops of water a couple times to build up a good lather. It was thicker, and took a little longer to build up, but I didn't see any discernible difference on the shave quality.

While I hope I do not get kicked out of this thread, I have been following it since it started.

I do not own MdC and therefore may get booted out of here BUT as for the dry lathering, I truly have found this the best method for all my soaps and brushes. I did try the "Marco method" but did not like the technique. I find that just lightly wetting brush and then shaking it out well works great with my Omega 49 and 48, also well with my synthetic. @kansaskyle I do bowl lather as well with a dryer brush but find that the brushes I own can hold a lot of lather so I am not looking to make the bowl overflow with an abundance of lather. I think quality of lather is more important and I find with the dryer brush my lather is much thicker from first pass to last. Letting a brush absorb too much water makes for a thin/runny lather at least on the first pass, when I used that method it was normally my last pass that I enjoyed the most, now I enjoy all passes.

and to borrow something from James Brown "I ain't too proud to beg" If any MdC owners would possibly part with a nickel size of their product, I would greatly appreciate it. Just enough to get a couple of shaves under my belt with it.

TIA

I did, but I did a little math, his pricing easily doubles almost triples MdC (14 x12.50 = 175). I already have quite a few in my rotation PdP, Cade, brick of Cella, to name a few. At the sample price, I would opt for the full jar.

I did an ounce of each from Gary for about $30. The first ounce is still going strong and will probably last another couple of weeks. It's not the better value, but I get to try both scents, will participate in this thread for about 3 months, and have $30 more in my pocket versus buying a full jar.

I did an ounce of each from Gary for about $30. The first ounce is still going strong and will probably last another couple of weeks. It's not the better value, but I get to try both scents, will participate in this thread for about 3 months, and have $30 more in my pocket versus buying a full jar.

Yup. Garry will certainly have mark-up, but if the goal is to just try it first before shelling out for a full jar, then Jeff's right.

Yup. Garry will certainly have mark-up, but if the goal is to just try it first before shelling out for a full jar, then Jeff's right.

In true 3017 style, I also have to factor in the 30 other full pucks and sticks already in inventory.......

Had a great three pass plus full head shave last night. Missed a few days as first I was sick then the wife was. Thankfully our little one has been missed by this so far.

Cheers,

M.

Top Bottom