What's new

The 3017 Martin de Candre Fest - It's Live!

Still in. It has been very cold as of late (broke a 100 yr low yesterday) and I finding that the MdC is really drying out my face. Today I added some RR Aftershave Wax to help put some moisture back into my face. I really think MdC isn't a very good soap to use in the winter, YMMV.

The balm tops off a MdC shave very nicely when the temps and wind chills are subzero, Evan. Still in as well, and getting excellent shaves.

Hi everyone,

I in no way intend to dissuade anyone from single-mindedly pursuing their MdC commitments. No sir.

but...

As a lover of MdC, a real lover, a flat out fan, I also became interested in Le Pere Luciene soap. Now that you have all had 21 days with MdC, does anyone have a comparison of it with Le Pere Luciene?

By the way, a little hint for those of you who love the fragrance of MdC (particularly the original): Myrsol Agua Balsamico is a near match for the fragrance, and is an absolutely wonderful product for skin care. A splash of if in the palm mixed with a dab of Myrsol Emulsion is the benchmark for me of skincare.

shega

I actually 3017ed an LpL just before starting the MdC. I find that the MdC loads more quickly and has a must stronger scent, my LpL was all but odorless. Unfortunately, I don't get great shaves from either, and find that they are both second tier soaps when it comes to slickness.

strop

Now half as wise
Still right at 1 gram/shave for me. I don't time the load, but just go by looks so sometimes I end up with a little more lather than I need, rather that than the alternative. At this rate I'm looking at more than 6 months of usage! 4 months with the PdP was a challenge, so we'll see how far I can get with this.

Had a quick two pass shave last night just to get rid of the stubble. Swirled literally 5 times. Could barely see the soap in the brush but after a couple minutes face lathering had enough for two passes and a full face cover with the leftover squeezed from the brush. Awesome shave per usual.

Cheers,

M.

This is how I used my jar, for the most part. Might have loaded a little longer, but it was 2 passes and touchups face lathering.

I took a day off and used St. James of London Lavender Geranium today. Back to MdC tomorrow.

Another great shave with MdC today. One day off was a nice break, but my experience today told me that I wanted the break just for variety, rather than dissatisfaction with MdC's performance (or scent).

Another great shave with MdC today. One day off was a nice break, but my experience today told me that I wanted the break just for variety, rather than dissatisfaction with MdC's performance (or scent).

I'm fighting this variety urge IOT keep hammering the unending tub LOL

I took Saturday day off since I was on a weekend church retreat. I thought about trying to face lather some MdC or just bring along a wooden bowl to bowl lather, but I opted for a change of pace and ease of a Tabac shave stick.

I cheated and used La Toja Saturday morning. It wasn't as much lather but was a little slicker than MdC. I did follow up with MdC for a pass later that day.

Also, I broke through the MdC this morning.

Yesterday I forgot to wring my brush before lathering my MdC fougere, and after my typical 20-30second loading, proceeded to build the worst lather I can remember from it. Not slick, not protective, not particularly creamy. But light and foamy, and ridiculously voluminous. There was so much lather in the brush that my hand—usually untouched by lather from my Savile Row 3250 and its long handle—was covered in lather, quite sloppily. Very instructive.

The biggest surprise was that, loading for exactly the same time I always do—which consumes a steady .6g of soap—this wet brush consumed 1.7g of soap, nearly three times the normal amount, and producing a lousy lather. Wow!

I had a few lathers like this when I started using MdC, but soon stumbled on the technique of loading as dry as possible: no blooming whatsoever and a fully wrung brush, merely damp. Usually my lather is excellent, causing my to sigh now and then while shaving to think, "oh how I love this soap". But yesterday was a rude experience. Now I am more inclined to be careful in wringing the brush and loading damp/dry.

I wonder if starting with too much water could be a factor in those who don't like it? For me, it was day and night, and if this were the only experience I had of it, I would have traded or sold it away long ago.

Personally I do not understand those who feel its not slick. Perhaps compared to a CRSW but that one IMHO does not have the cushion. I find with just a little water, it is slick enough for me.

I cheated and used La Toja Saturday morning. It wasn't as much lather but was a little slicker than MdC. I did follow up with MdC for a pass later that day.

I'm with you on slickness. La Toja, Speick, and even the lowly Monsavon, are slicker than MdC, I believe.

Had a wonderful 3 pass face and one pass dome shave last night. 30 swirls total and enough lather for all the passes, plus enough for touch ups, and leftover to spread on everything afterward. Fantastic as usual.

Cheers,

M.

I am getting consistent close shaves every time. I've left the jar open for the last couple of weeks and the scent has mellowed.

I didn't shake enough water from my brush and had a crappy lather. Then I tried to Palm lather a bit more and it still wasn't good. Reloaded and had an okay third pass.

Definitely agree on the drier brush with this soap.

I'm using the Marco Method™ for bowl lathering MdC.

All this talk of using a dry bush has got me thinking I'll try it out this afternoon and see what happens. I thought I read the MdC was somewhat thirsty?

Top Bottom