What's new

The 3017 Martin de Candre Fest - It's Live!

This time around I am getting wonderful shaves with MdC I think I have finally "dialed it in".
I have been using a Badger brush (damp),20 sec load & and adding water 2-3 times as I face lather. This has produced wonderful lathers for me.
Another thing that has helped for me is "Airing it out". Soaps with strong scents always give me trouble. My first go round, I think the strong scent caused my irritation. Since then I have used it about 10 times here and there, plus leaving the lid off. This seems to have worked wonders for me.
Hint to self…next jar leave lid of for a year before use (I recived this jar Dec 2013).

I shaved again this evening with MdC, it was sensational, the lather, the cushion, the glide, IMHO, it is the best of ALL soap. There I said it !

$MdC.jpg

Lucious, Delightful, Slick, Wonderful Shave !

I am still in for 15 days straight now, although I did a test lather with some Saint Charles Shave 'New Spice' while showing my son how to lather a soap for his first shave. I hadn't used SCS in a while, and I was quite surprised how rich and thick the lather was compared to my normal MdC lather.

I'm thinking I'll need to revisit SCS in the future!

I am back home and had a great shave this morning. The travel brush is patiently waiting to go on my next trip and the Simpson #58 is being used. I might have overloaded a bit this morning as I had enough lather to do several more passes when I was done. It is nice to see a dish forming in the top of the soap... For the first weeks it didn't seem like I was actually using any product! According to the scale I am using about 0.75g a shave after 16 shaves. At that pace I will be finishing the jar sometime near the end of October (eeek!). I fear I may be the last one to finish their jar.

Ruckin

I am still in for 15 days straight now, although I did a test lather with some Saint Charles Shave 'New Spice' while showing my son how to lather a soap for his first shave. I hadn't used SCS in a while, and I was quite surprised how rich and thick the lather was compared to my normal MdC lather.

I'm thinking I'll need to revisit SCS in the future!

Enjoy the ride !

I'm still in, and will be for the duration. I can completely appreciate the reasons why some of us have decided to not continue.

Having used the soap for a good two weeks now, I'm confirmed in my belief that MdC is drying. Rather, it is NOT moisturizing. I think there is a difference between the two. MdC is made on the premise that it is a simple soap. Minimal ingredients, prepared and cured to deliver a product that lathers well. To me, this is the case, as it's very easy to lather, is slick and protective as well. What it does not do is include the ingredients that contribute to that moisturized postshave feel that we value so much. No shea butter, argan oil, tallow, cocoa butter.....you name it. MdC does not even pretend to do so, and makes no claims (AFAIK) about anything like that.

It's soap. Soap dries. Therefore you moisturize. I can live with that.

Well said Bob. At this point, I'm in until the weather gets warmer...at that point, I'll need to change up my routine so I'm hoping I can put this jar in recycling before then :)

strop

Now half as wise
I'm finally feeling the love!:001_wub::lol: 15 shaves in and I can now see what all the traditional fuss is all about. I suspect some of my issue was getting back to bowl lathering. I've been using 3 brushes that have gone begging for a while. All are big and what many would consider floppy, though I have used them for face lathering quite effectively. A big EJ, and T&H branded "Chubby style" and a Plisson that was a vacation souvenir along with the MdC.

I've been loading for about 45-60 seconds, and finally using enough water! I can easily cut my load time some and still have enough. I'll try to remember to weigh the jar, but I have barely dented the surface!. I doubt it's more than a gram a day, which would give me in excess of 6 months of shaves!

I am back home and had a great shave this morning. The travel brush is patiently waiting to go on my next trip and the Simpson #58 is being used. I might have overloaded a bit this morning as I had enough lather to do several more passes when I was done. It is nice to see a dish forming in the top of the soap... For the first weeks it didn't seem like I was actually using any product! According to the scale I am using about 0.75g a shave after 16 shaves. At that pace I will be finishing the jar sometime near the end of October (eeek!). I fear I may be the last one to finish their jar.

Ruckin
Depending on how much additional water weight your loading is adding to the soap, you're probably using a bit more than 0.75 g per shave.

I've used a badger and synthetic so far with this soap. Tomorrow I'm breaking out an Omega mini Beehive boar brush.

Had a great shave last night. 30 seconds load, enough for three pass on face and a full dome shave with enough left to lather everything once more. I find it makes my head and face feel smoother when I rinse it all off, almost like the leftover lather is picking up any oil or dirt that I may have accumulated thanks to the air...

Ya I know it's weird. I didn't say it wasn't! :)

Cheers,

M.

This time around I am getting wonderful shaves with MdC I think I have finally "dialed it in".
I have been using a Badger brush (damp),20 sec load & and adding water 2-3 times as I face lather. This has produced wonderful lathers for me.
Another thing that has helped for me is "Airing it out". Soaps with strong scents always give me trouble. My first go round, I think the strong scent caused my irritation. Since then I have used it about 10 times here and there, plus leaving the lid off. This seems to have worked wonders for me.
Hint to self…next jar leave lid of for a year before use (I recived this jar Dec 2013).

+1 on airing the MdC out. It has made the soap a lot more enjoyable.

I grabbed a spoon and scooped out some MdC into an unused Stirling tin. The medium-sized tin has a larger diameter than the MdC jar, and it made it a little easier to lather.

I put the lid back on the jar, and figure I'll repeat this process once I work through what I scooped out.

I grabbed a spoon and scooped out some MdC into an unused Stirling tin. The medium-sized tin has a larger diameter than the MdC jar, and it made it a little easier to lather.

I put the lid back on the jar, and figure I'll repeat this process once I work through what I scooped out.

I just build quickly a lather in the jar, I use a chubby 2 which has a 27mm knot, without any issue ? I also bloom whilst in the shower. I normally get too much, 3X passes and mucho touch up, I LOVE my MdC !

I've used the Omega Baby Beehive Boar (10081) for the last two days, and the lathers from MdC have been outstanding. I'll always love the badgers, but I have come to appreciate the new synthetics and boars more and more as I use them.

Used my Thater 49125 today and my Muhle R89. Shaving on easy mode.

It looks like the soap is thinning at the bottom and I will break through soon. This was a used jar that weighed 384g before my first shave on Feb 1. It is now down to 361g. 23g over 19 shaves is 1.2 grams per shave.

I'm temped to go another month with the soap but I think I will switch over to AOS Sandalwood so I can make a nice comparison between two high quality soaps. Then I will switch back to the MdC for a month, and then maybe I will jump over to WSP Lavender to again compare those two.

I'm not in but in the past I used MdC for a month. I changed brushes every day. Every shave I have gotten has been excellent no matter if I bowl or face lather. For me, this is one soap that has never given me any issues. I generally use one soap for a week and then go on to the next. So far I have used up about 90% of MWF, 30% of AoS, 100% of Cella, and at most 10% of MdC for the same length of time.

I'm not in but in the past I used MdC for a month. I changed brushes every day. Every shave I have gotten has been excellent no matter if I bowl or face lather. For me, this is one soap that has never given me any issues. I generally use one soap for a week and then go on to the next. So far I have used up about 90% of MWF, 30% of AoS, 100% of Cella, and at most 10% of MdC for the same length of time.

It really doesn't take much to get a lot of decent lather from this soap.

Had a quick two pass shave last night just to get rid of the stubble. Swirled literally 5 times. Could barely see the soap in the brush but after a couple minutes face lathering had enough for two passes and a full face cover with the leftover squeezed from the brush. Awesome shave per usual.

Cheers,

M.

Top Bottom