What's new

The 3017 Martin de Candre Fest - It's Live!

I am still in, but I think this jar is going to last me forever. I have 12 shaves on this jar so far and I can just begin to see some dishing at the top of the jar.

$20150212_055943.jpg

Ruckin

Loaded for 20 seconds today and had enough for probably five passes. I need to load a bit less I guess. 14g in 12 days = 1.2g per day.

Not sure how long I'll last as last nights shave was particularly drying. I know I could always put on an aftershave balm, but those usually tend to irritate my skin. Even the ins unscented ones like Simpsons.

Out of 6 shaves in February, I had my 5th shave with MdC this morning (yes, I already cheated with AOS Sandalwood). I get a slight tingle which feels like spearmint, or something like that. I am not a menthol fan in the slightest and just don't really enjoy the tingle feeling day in and day out. So, I will dropping out of this challenge. Not sure how long I will go with the AOS Sandalwood (tallow) soap but will be giving that priority over the next few weeks.

Will still be following this thread as I am curious how long the MdC will last for multiple users. More data points will identify the average (and spread) which is always interesting to me.

Good Luck!

FWIW. I have been using my Brain Bowl 95% of the time since it arrived in August / Sept and it is barely dented, maybe a cm off the top. I still have about 3cm to go just to reach the bowl level then I have the balance of whats inside. I have no doubt this would last me well over 18mos and may very well cruise past the 2 year marker. 3017 is a hefty commit.

I shave @ 5 days a week and Swirl 5-6 clockwise and another 5-6 counter clockwise and get enough later for solid 3 passer.

Don't want to do a 100% commit but, I will remain using this as a staple of my regiment and following this thread with interest. I bought the Barin and fougere as well and probably have used the fougere less than 5 times. Funny when they arrived I though the Fougere was going to be my favorite but, the Original is just so intoxicating it pulled me right in.

My second go round with MdC is going very well this time. I am getting no irritation and having no problems. The last few days I have started with a dryer brush and been adding more water than usual. This has really improved the lather and made for much better shaves. I have also switched from a Boar brush (Italian Barber 2012 LE) to a Badger brush (M&F Chief) with wonderful results.

I've done most of my lathers with badgers, a couple synthetic, and one boar. The boar ate up twice as much soap as the rest and didn't produce any more/better lather. With the badgers, I'm squeezing the brush lightly, loading for 10 seconds, dip the tips, and load another 10. Too much lather. I might just try doing a 10 second load and see where that leads me.

As efficient as this soap is, I don't think I'll 3017 it because I would get a little bored and there are so many other great soaps and creams out there to use. I'll keep with it the rest of the month and decide if I want to switch to something else in March.

It's great to have a good consistent performer instead of the frustration that was MWF.

I'm out, went with Catie's Bubbles Jardin d'or. There was some redness and irritation that occurred but it is just as likely to be from user error or my sensitive skin. Either way I'm still on the hunt for my daily driver.

I find MdC too drying, AOS sandalwood tallow offers little protection from the blade and average post shave. I'd like to revisit tiki bar as the only scent I have is citrus mint blast and I want to stay away from any menthol. I also have been without a puck of mikes for about 6 months. I remember getting great shaves from it.

Today's shave. I put a hair binder around my Thater 4292/5 to increase the backbone. Really fantastic knot but too high for my tastes. Made enough lather for four passes.

View attachment 548080

What a great idea! Have to give that a try...

I'm still going strong and pushing through the boredom of using only one soap....want to crush this stuff. I too find it drying which is ok in the winter as I just slap on some ASB and I'm good....but I could not go w/o it

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423834501.432339.jpg

Loaded a shorter time which probably was a mistake with this brush. Low loft increases density and requires more product. After two passes I swirled the soap for a few seconds and made two more passes worth. Crazy.

Also tried the RazoRock slant (on loan). Efficient but maybe a bit too aggressive for me. I like to take my time with 3-4 passes.

I'm still in, and will be for the duration. I can completely appreciate the reasons why some of us have decided to not continue.

Having used the soap for a good two weeks now, I'm confirmed in my belief that MdC is drying. Rather, it is NOT moisturizing. I think there is a difference between the two. MdC is made on the premise that it is a simple soap. Minimal ingredients, prepared and cured to deliver a product that lathers well. To me, this is the case, as it's very easy to lather, is slick and protective as well. What it does not do is include the ingredients that contribute to that moisturized postshave feel that we value so much. No shea butter, argan oil, tallow, cocoa butter.....you name it. MdC does not even pretend to do so, and makes no claims (AFAIK) about anything like that.

It's soap. Soap dries. Therefore you moisturize. I can live with that.

That's my take as well, beginish.

Lathering and moisturizing are two separate things. Some soaps can (or try to) do both, but there's a compromise. MWF for example is less drying after the shave but I found the lathering process very inconsistent.

I would rather have an elite performing shaving soap and then follow up with a moisturizer afterwards. I do that every day because I live in a cold climate.

Maybe the solution would be a shaving cream that doesn't require a lather building process, and that would be both protective and moisturizing.

There is an argument about the slickness of MdC which isn't the best. But I find it works well.

I am not in the challenge, at least not yet, but I am a regular MdC user and I like to visit this thread, as well as the 3017 thread.

Reading Beginish's post about MdC drying and not moisturizing, I am reminded of my reaction to the post-shave feel of MdC when I began using it. Previously, I had used Razorock products almost exclusively, with a little bit of Cella and DR Harris on the odd day. I am not certain as to the aims of any of those soaps, but the postshave feel of MdC was so very different that I called out to my wife, "Honey—this is wonderful! feel my face!" and I just could not stop touching and stroking my cheeks for a few hours afterward. It was as if a layer of softness and cleanness had appeared by the magical combination of simple ingredients. Maybe it was the curing process MdC employs. What could it be? It was magnificent, probably the best post-shave feel I had experienced. I wondered about this, but read arguments that MdC could not possibly be moisturizing for the very reason Beginish offers: it is a soap, and soap dries.

I continue to use XXX (which I love) and a few other RR soaps, as well as the occasional guest soap, but the MdC face feel after rinsing has continued to stand out. The magic ingredient, I have determined, is me. MdC simply leaves my face clean, so that magnificent face feel I have loved is really just the feel of my face when it is clean and well-shaved!

I use Myrsol Emulsion in general after any shave, but sometimes I let more time pass after MdC just so that I can enjoy that simple, clean, smooth feeling for a bit longer.

I have said it before, but the rich lather I generate from .6g of MdC is everything I could ask for. I load 30 seconds with a 20mm badger. I just love this quality of MdC. I calculate that it is the most affordable soap per shave that I own. With the croaps, even 2.5g is not enough, I need 3g per shave.

I'm right around 1.2 grams per shave now. Assuming a 200g jar costs $50 give or take, that would place me around 33 cents per shave.

For comparison's sake:

SCS Pumpkin - 20 shaves at $7 was 35 cents per shave
Martin de Candre - est. 150 shaves at $50 is 33 cents per shave
RazoRock XXX - 36 shaves at $10 was 28 cents per shave
Body Shop Maca Root - 72 shaves at $16 was 22 cents per shave
Van der Hagen Deluxe - 37 shaves at $3 was 8 cents per shave
Palmolive Stick - 50 shaves at $2 was 4 cents per shave

It's pricey, but it's a solid soap and not a terrible value.

I'm right around 1.2 grams per shave now. Assuming a 200g jar costs $50 give or take, that would place me around 33 cents per shave.

Hi Jarick

That is interesting to me. I know that quite a few shavers use 1 gram or more of MdC. I would too if needed, no hesitation. But, in reality, if I did this it would be waaaay too much in the knot, and result in a ridiculous waste of lather. Don't get me wrong— I overload, usually, and I like a lot of lather for my 4 passes.

Razorock soap requires about 3g, and AoS tallow pucks take .7g (always seems to hover right around that figure, I must be consistent!). Both result in the same amount of lather. As said, MdC takes .6g, same amount of lather produced. Is this strange?
For me it is terrific, because an MdC shave costs me 15 cents or so!

I am curious: what type of brush do you use? Large knot? Do you have a gigantic face? :lol:

I'm packing the whole jar for my trip this weekend. It's even colder where I'm going, so I'm packing the whole glass bottle of Harris AS Milk too.

Top Bottom