What's new

Brewing

Don't rule out kegging due to cost. Initial outlay is a bit of money but I think worth it and in the long run more economical. You'll get sick of bottling. You'll get sick of uneven carbonation when bottling and you'll hate to get gushers. Plus you'll probably give a friend a couple. Say goodbye to those bottles. I started kegging years ago and wouldn't think of bottling now. My favorite part of kegging is the ability to force carbonate to precise levels. I can go from carboy to keg and carbonated in a few hours. EBay used to be a good source for used kegs. Keep an eye out for dirty ones as you can get a simple tune up kit for them. My kegs are all old and look it but work perfectly.

^^^^^^+1

Although, my beer usually ages well after a week or so under carb, and the "green" goes away. But if you're in a hurry....it sure beats waiting for those sucky bottles. :)

I'm sure you'll agree, there's nothing like drawing your own brew from a Perlick into a pint glass....

Especially when the tap can go on your bar

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1424835723342.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1424835723342.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 34
Seth, awesome on bottling this weekend, I'm looking to keg my first batch in the next couple days so that it will be ready by this weekend.
Thanks man, I've been keeping tabs on your brew also and it sounds like you're getting along well.
Don't rule out kegging due to cost. Initial outlay is a bit of money but I think worth it and in the long run more economical. You'll get sick of bottling. You'll get sick of uneven carbonation when bottling and you'll hate to get gushers. Plus you'll probably give a friend a couple. Say goodbye to those bottles. I started kegging years ago and wouldn't think of bottling now. My favorite part of kegging is the ability to force carbonate to precise levels. I can go from carboy to keg and carbonated in a few hours. EBay used to be a good source for used kegs. Keep an eye out for dirty ones as you can get a simple tune up kit for them. My kegs are all old and look it but work perfectly.
Well it's not just cost it's also home size and layout. No basement and my wife is an artist, makes jewelry, crochets, does photography, and has two horses. Needless to say we have too much stuff (junk) and not enough space lol. I'm sure I will get tired of bottling but for the foreseeable future that well be my method.
^^^^^^+1

Although, my beer usually ages well after a week or so under carb, and the "green" goes away. But if you're in a hurry....it sure beats waiting for those sucky bottles. :)

I'm sure you'll agree, there's nothing like drawing your own brew from a Perlick into a pint glass....
Yes it does sound wonderful to have a beer carbed and drinkable in two days. I'm just assuming two since you have to cool it also.
Especially when the tap can go on your bar
That is a sweet setup you have there.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
That is quite a setup, indeed! I've never done anything like that, though. So far, it's still just a couple old chest freezers holding the kegs that are adorned with picnic taps. So far, so good!

thanks! however looks are deceiving. the bar was there when i bought the house. the tap is just extended from my DIY kegerator.
get a small fridge (with no freezer section)
cut a hole in that fridge
stick yo kegs in that fridge...

All i had to do was extend the lines up to the bar, screw the tap on top and put some pipe insulation on the lines. I also made a little homemade gizmo to constantly pump cold air from the fridge to the tap cylinder. All in including kegs, two C02 cylinders, fridge tap etc probably under 500. But it will run two cornelius kegs, cold to the tap, for a long time.

thanks! however looks are deceiving. the bar was there when i bought the house. the tap is just extended from my DIY kegerator.
get a small fridge (with no freezer section)
cut a hole in that fridge
stick yo kegs in that fridge...

All i had to do was extend the lines up to the bar, screw the tap on top and put some pipe insulation on the lines. I also made a little homemade gizmo to constantly pump cold air from the fridge to the tap cylinder. All in including kegs, two C02 cylinders, fridge tap etc probably under 500. But it will run two cornelius kegs, cold to the tap, for a long time.
It makes it that much sweeter that you got it all done on that kinda coin.

How long should it take my beer to carb up? It's been 8 days and I cracked one today and it has very little carb to it.

I never used those but they should work. Are the bottle is a room temp place? Yeast is alive and will slow down when cold. How not carbonated is it dead flat or just not really bubbly.

I've had batches go south on me bottling. Happened enough that I gave up on it. Let it go a few more days it's possible you had very clear beer so the yeast need more time to propagate

Yes the bottles are room temp. Sitting on the kitchen counter. They are very lightly carbonated, not enough to leave any head on the beer.

For being half flat I thought the beer was very good. The only reason I'm concerned is I've got a new job I'm starting next week and I told the guys at my old job I was bringing in some home brew lol.

From what I read, takes about 2 weeks to carb in the bottle. I am using the same tabs at the same rate, but I'm a bit behind you.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've always given it 2-3 weeks at room temperature. It happens much more slowly than primary fermentation.

Even after that few weeks is over, you want to give bottles at least a few days (and maybe more) in the refrigerator before opening. I just found that the CO2 dissolves better when given time. I also suspect that any solids settling out over that time also helps. In any event, I always found the carbonation to be "smoother" (for lack of better word) and more lasting when I let bottles sit in the fridge for a good number of days.

This is where patience gets so hard. The best cure is to brew another batch to take your mind of the one you are waiting for.

Top Bottom