What's new

EH Taylor Rye or Sazerac.

Sorry - I'm asking for a lot of people's input on this forum, and I DO appreciate it.

It's because I still find myself unfamiliar with a lot of American whiskey and need some help.

In Ontario we got a few bottles in of Sazerac Rye (just the normal stuff) and the EH Taylor and I'm just trying to figure out what is the better value.

First the prices:

EH Taylor: $85 (all the EH Taylor stuff is)

Sazerac $55

While I know in general the Sazerac is usually the better value, it seems the prices are a little off - the Sazerac seems to be about double the typical U.S. price (this is kind of normal) for us. While the Taylor seems to be only marginally more expense (If I'm not mistaken, around 65-70?)

So...do you guys think it's worth the extra 30 bucks for the EH Taylor?

Thanks in advance for all the advice, BTW - if any of you ever need a tour of great Ontario breweries and wineries, I'm your man.

Cheers,

They are both very good. I have a bottle of each. Fortunately in the states I'm able to get them a good $15 cheaper per bottle. In fact the last bottle of Sazerac I found was only $25. In my opinion the Sazerac is a better value. The Sazerac's mashbill is comprised of rye, corn, and malted barely and the EH Taylor Rye is comprised of rye and malted barley. This leads to a difference experience between the two. Again I own both and enjoy them both very much. However, basing the decision purely on money I would have to say I feel I get more for my money going with the Sazerac. I can say that the liquor stores near me can not keep the Sazerac in stock. My local store received a shipment of 6 bottles and they didn't make it past a weekend. Due to the demand and popularity I have found the price to be creeping up. As I mentioned my last bottle was $25 but the bottle before that was $35 and I have seen it as high as $40 in some stores. Good luck with your decision.

So I'm guessing the sazerarye leans more toward a bourbon profile? Some initial reviews suggest Taylor is your and thin due to the lack of corn...has that been your experience?

I thin if I were in the US it would be an easier choice as I could get two Sale race for one EHT. Here through the price jump between the two is a little less ratio wise which makes Saz less of a value ....hmm....

...or I could just get both...which is what I did... :001_smile Really, there's only about 10 bottles of each left in the province, and I'm thinking when it comes back (end of the year, maybe...) it's probably going to be much more expensive. Had about an oz of each. First Sazerac which was quite bourbony. The nose on the CEHT rye, though is just fantastic. Maybe it's my uneducation nose and palette, but this does not seem to to warrant some of the negative reviews I've been reading.

Getting lots of oak on the nose of CEHT, so I'm thinking it's more mature that people originally thought(?) Palette is still a spice explosion.

Glad I got both...

Okay though...NOW that's it for a while!:blush:

That's great. Glad you were able to get both. I'm with you on the negative reviews CEHT receives. I enjoy it. Cheers.

The more I get into different whiskey's I find not to put too much stock into reviews. If a product gets nothing but bad reviews you may want to stay away however whiskey, like food is subjective. What one person likes another may not. As I get more into whiskey and search for reviews and video blogs I have found certain people who I trust a feel they give an objective review however in the end It's my money that I'm spending. Even as a novice if you find something you like, like CEHT than you can build on that and you may want to try other ryes with a similar mash bill. I like many different whiskeys made by many different distillers, however I do find myself gravitating to certain distillery's because I find similarities in many of the different whiskeys they make. Anyway enjoy your new bottles and I will warn you that it can become a very addicting hobby. I'm at about 115 bottles in my collection and it is still growing.

The price of Sazerac has shot way up. It used to be a $20 or under bottle here and was not bad for that. Bulleit Rye is my go to budget rye now.

Top Bottom