What's new

Thinking about getting a Hart

I started straight shaving last May with a Dovo Special, then since obtained a pre-honed Gold Dollar, then restored a Maher & Grosh and a Wosty. I have been itching for a new razor. I really like the look of the Hart Steels. There are plenty of threads on the pros and cons of Hart so what I'm looking for are possible alternatives that are similar. I really like the satin finish and beefy near wedge. Before I let go of the $ I want to make sure I have explored alternatives first. Any suggestions?

Hart straights are great. I've not tried the Portland razors, but they look nice also.
Closest comparison, IMO, would be current production Revisors from Solingen.

$hart st james dovo sandalwood july 17 2014.jpg

Harts are great razors, nice heft, love the jimps, my only complain about them are the scales, they feel cheap.

The cocobolo ones I recently saw are actually the best ones I have seen from them

I love my Hart. Although I agree with Alfredo on the Hart's scales, perhaps more vehemently, I think they are far better looking than the Portland razors (razor itself too, imo).

I like my 7/8 Hart. It is a very good razor, if you must buy "new".

But, for the same money, you can get a very nice vintage Filarmonica, which is an even better razor, IMHO.

I do not own the Hart, but I do own an PRC. One nice thing about the Hart is that it is simple to change out scales if you are not satisfied. You could even make your own scales for it if you were inclined to do so. With the PRC, it is pinned in the traditional manner. Changing scales will be much more involved. But, I like the price point of the PRC much better. If money is not a factor in this decision over the range we are talking about, get the razor that gets you most excited and talks to you. If you don't you will regret it.

If I had to choose one razor for the rest of my life it would probably be my Hart. It's a simple solid workhorse of a razor. Agree on the scales thought that's why I made a set of new ones. $image.jpg

I do like my Hart 7/8. The edge as it came from the vendor needed some rework. Alfredo fixed it up veeeeeery nicely! But the razor itself is gorgeous. The 1/4 grind is very comfortable to shave with. I would receommend them for sure. They have made improvements on the scales recently.

The Portland razors look nice also though. I suppose the blade styles are a matter of personal taste. I prefer the look of the Hart 7/8 square point that I had Alfredo modify slightly to have a Filarmonica style toe. I'm very pleased with it. :)

If money is not a factor in this decision over the range we are talking about, get the razor that gets you most excited and talks to you. If you don't you will regret it.
The only regret I have right now is not having bought one already.
Those Harts look normal in pictures, but they are huge! Can someone please post a pic of a Hart next to a familiar razor for size comparison.

Thanks for sharing! It looks like I will probably be getting a Hart (currently working with a fellow member). However the next one after that just might be a PRC Kraken in Ivory :tongue_sm

Thanks for sharing! It looks like I will probably be getting a Hart (currently working with a fellow member). However the next one after that just might be a PRC Kraken in Ivory :tongue_sm

Last edited:
Top Bottom