What's new

I saw a falcon devouring a pigeon today

The circle of life. :) A couple weeks ago I was in the backyard when a hawk swooped down and grabbed a pigeon off my roof, then landed in a tree and proceeded to throw feathers everywhere. Can't say I was upset except about having to clean up the feathers.

We have large flocks of pigeons in our parking lot. In the city there are at least 2-3 breeding pairs of falcons, I've seen them make a few kills, and have seen them chowing down on pigeon many times. Never mind the countless pairs of wings just laying the parking lot (Kinda gross actually) as for some reason they tear the wings off first and proceed to chow down.
It's very cool to see them take a pigeon, especially when the falcon keens and suddenly there's a poof of feathers. I truly don't feel sorry for the pigeons...
Very cool to see though.

They normal dive bomb Pigeons at 90 mph, and decapitate them. Peregrine Falcons are quite effective in keeping the Pigeon population in check.

They normal dive bomb Pigeons at 90 mph, and decapitate them.

Closer to 200 mph. Peregrine falcons hold the record for fastest land animal. The dive, called a stoop, terminates in a very hard hit with the talon set; death is usually instantaneous through a broken back or severe lung trauma.

They're making a comeback; DDT almost finished them as a species.

Don

My boss' office is a corner suite, 15 floors up, with a nice, triangular ledge just outside the window.

About 50% of my meetings with him come with a view of a Hawk tearing into a Pigeon.

It's the circle of life.

Top Bottom