What's new

More Backbone Please

My first upgrade brush was a Simpson Colonel X2L. I really liked this brush when I first got it, but after a few months, it's started to 'spread out' a bit, and is more flexible than when I first got it. I mostly face lather, so like a bit more backbone than this brush currently has.

WCS told me that denser brushes would hold up better over the long term, but not sure if I'm ready to commit $200 to something like the Chubby. I do have a boar brush, and while it's OK, am hoping for a badger with a bit more stiffness.

Any thoughts for options that won't break the bank? Do any of the custom brush makers (Wolf Whiskers, Rudy Vey) offer knots with a bit more stiffness?

Any help / advise would be most appreciated!

Try giving your brush a good bath in a mild shampoo or very diluted vinegar. Rinse it well and set it out to dry for a day, then put it inside a toilet-paper tube and let it dry for another day.

This restore it back to its pre-bloom shape, and may bring back some of the stiffness. Its a temporary fix, and it will eventually return to the state its in now. But you can perform this as often as needed, and it will give you some more time to shop around for your next brush.

Let me start up the broken record and recommend a Whipped Dog Silvertip.

24mm @ 45mm loft is what I use, and it actually has a bit too much backbone. I'd go with 48mm.

You may be able to replicate the Chubby if you get a 30mm knot & had Larry set it to... I dunno, probably 50mm or so.

The TGN 2 Band Finest knots have great backbone and just a bit of scritch. Rudy Vey uses them as do many other artisan brush makers.

Another Broken record: Semogue SOC two band badger. It's a beautiful brush with ergonomic handle and more backbone than I've found in any other badger brush. Compared to other similar brushes the price is good as well.

The TGN 2 Band Finest knots have great backbone and just a bit of scritch. Rudy Vey uses them as do many other artisan brush makers.
+2. I have a Butterscotch Beehive that Joe (shaverjoe) made me w/a 24mm fan set at 46mm. It hasn't "spread out" one bit and is a dream to face lather with.

You could try a rubber "O" ring at the base of the knot on your Simpson Colonel X2L. That should create a bit more backbone.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I'm kind of skeptical that density means greater longevity. I'm of the mind that it's about the quality of construction, not how dense it is. None of my really nice brushes really shed at all regardless of how dense. Backbone is more about how the brush feels than anything, too. It doesn't really equate to a better lather. I also think there's such a thing as too much scrub and backbone, which to me is the Chubby, but that's all about taste. My favorite scrubber is a Simpson's Manchurian M6 Limited Edition. Great backbone, great scrub, but not too much in either area. I also have a Chubby 1 Super that I purchased by Marco's recommendation and it's a great brush but it's not quite as nice as that M6 Manchurian for my tastes. It's a little too dense and hogs lather more than I'd like. YMMV.

Try giving your brush a good bath in a mild shampoo or very diluted vinegar. Rinse it well and set it out to dry for a day, then put it inside a toilet-paper tube and let it dry for another day.

This restore it back to its pre-bloom shape, and may bring back some of the stiffness. Its a temporary fix, and it will eventually return to the state its in now. But you can perform this as often as needed, and it will give you some more time to shop around for your next brush.

Just got mine. It's got tremendous backbone and is super soft. Tore right through MWF. Love it. Thater 4125 2. 2 band finest silvertip bulb. $1421106061736.jpg

Attachments

• $1421105934988.jpg
    $1421105934988.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 82
I just rcvd a simpsons m6. wow. it is almost too much backbone. either a m6 or m7 in Manchurian will scrub your face off bro.

Top Bottom