What's new

New To Straights/Wet Shaving

I have lurked for a few weeks and enjoy the discussion and knowledge here. I started wet shaving recently as well. I enjoy it very much!! Who knew shaving could be enjoyable!!??!! But anyway, I am using a FB that my dad handed down to me years ago. He recently gave me one of his and one of my granddad's old straights and a strop of his as well. So I have a Hess #1 and a Dorko Backal. They both need to be cleaned up and honed and I do not trust myself to do it at this point. Does anyone know of any shops around the Dallas/Fort Worth area that would do this?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer guidance!!

Attachments

• $20150110_180013.jpg
    $20150110_180013.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 242
  • $20150110_175913.jpg
    $20150110_175913.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 239
  • $20150110_180301.jpg
    $20150110_180301.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 239
  • $20150110_175420.jpg
    $20150110_175420.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Welcome to B&B sir. How wonderful that you are the recipient of some fine family heirlooms. If you can't find a reputable local honer, there are many members here that are highly recommended.

Those are both very fine razors that are in very good shape. I concur with the suggestions above. You are luck to have such fine tools to begin your journey. Good luck!

Thank Y'all for the input. I am getting them up to Bayamontate to work them for me . I will let you know how they come out and of course for input as I learn to shave with a straight.

You might ask Nelson to finish one on a Coticule and one JNat. Don't strop them when they arrive. Just open the package and shave out of the box.

I did exactly this Avenolpey. They made it out of the blizzard zone today and are on their way back to me. I feel like a kid two days before Christmas right now. Gonna be singing wait mister post man before long

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Those are some nice blades and having a family connection both for the straights and your FatBoy makes them double valuable.

Last edited:
I did exactly this Avenolpey. They made it out of the blizzard zone today and are on their way back to me. I feel like a kid two days before Christmas right now. Gonna be singing wait mister post man before long

You're not alone, 6 other packages just left Bethpage like yours. It will be worth the wait, I polished the Hess a bit and tightened her scales. I also polished the bolster and pins on the Dorco, they both took excellent edges.

Going to shave in the morning. I wasn't thinking this morning and shaved:lol: Will take pictures before I shave in the morning though. I want to say thank you so much Baymontate!!! They look great and the Hess is so much tighter than it was before. Thank you thank you!!

My pleasure. The Dorco is going to need some special attention in the future that will most likely mean parting with the bluing. In the meantime enjoy it.

OK so post shave report. This was my first ever straight razor shave. My goal going in was to not draw blood and try to get a decent shave

Well goal one was accomplished. The shave was decent. I did a wtg pass and a xtg pass as well as I could. The angles and hand positions are going to come. I have a lot of ground to make up. I want to be able to use both hands. But as of now my left hand may as well be a tuna steak. Lol.

Now I know I am a dummy for not doing it first, but I am going to go and watch videos now to see how to correct the angles etc.

Any pointers on getting the off hand up to speed?

Etc
I used the Dorko which if I remember correctly was finished on the jnat. It was a very crisp feel to it almost like it want to bite. I don't know if that makes any sense. The next shave will be with the Hess
I also took it as a good sign that my Spotify was playing Fanfare for the Common Man as I was finishing up. I know I'm on the right track :^)

Last edited:
Congrats, sounds like your off to a great start. Watch lots of vids and like Frank suggested shave with your non dominant hand as much as possible. Also consontrate on developing very good stropping technique as this will help you keep those beautifuly honed razors shaving sharp for quite awhile.

C FrankC

Top Bottom