What's new

Mongoose Razor Tour/Pass Around

I received it in the mail today. Luckily, something told me to look inside, tonight, about 4 hours after the mail had already been picked up. I guess they made a separate delivery. I never check twice, after the mail is delivered. If I hadn't, it would be in the mail box for about 24 hrs. I don't like the idea of thing staying in it that long.

Impressions. Excellent fit and finish. A definite improvement over the Cobra. I like the handle and head angle. The weight is definitely hefty.

First shave, doesn't count. The Feather Professional blade was used. The razor didn't allign properly, my fault. I wasn't use to How it locked in place. So, I basically shaved with a Shavette. Lucky for me, I spent time with the Devette pass-around. It went smooth, but super aggressive. After the shave I saw I hadn't aligned it properly. The aftershave went on well, no burning, or stinging. No nicks, cuts, or weepers.

Very nice looking razor.

Last edited:
I received it in the mail today. Luckily, something told me to look inside, tonight, about 4 hours after the mail had already been picked up. I guess they made a separate delivery. I never check twice, after the mail is delivered. If I hadn't, it would be in the mail box for about 24 hrs. I don't like the idea of thing staying in it that long.

Impressions. Excellent fit and finish. A definite improvement over the Cobra. I like the handle and head angle. The weight is definitely hefty.

First shave, doesn't count. The Feather Professional blade was used. The razor didn't allign properly, my fault. I wasn't use to How it locked in place. So, I basically shaved with a Shavette. Lucky for me, I spent time with the Devette pass-around. It went smooth, but super aggressive. After the shave I saw I hadn't aligned it properly. The aftershave went on well, no burning, or stinging. No nicks, cuts, or weepers.

Very nice looking razor.

Are there good instructions somewhere so the rest of us can avoid the bade alignment issue?

Thanks- I look forward to your "real" review :)

Instructions? Probably buried somewhere in the thread. I thought it locked together, but was wrong. Just take your time. When it fits correctly, it looks like a mild exposure.
Me, I tend to rush things, when I have new toys to play with.

I had a line in my first post after getting it, Christian. The key is to make sure that the edges of the cap and the base plate are flush on the back side of the head.

Shave #3 down. I like this razor, but, found it requires a super slick soap, to work for me. Arko. The razor has a large flat contact area, on the head. This is because of the built in shave angle. The large contact area makes the razor want to drag.
Overall, this razor is growing on me. It well built, heavy, and shaves great, with the Feather Professional blade.
Unfortunately, it's out of my budget. I will shoot a PM to the next in line.

List updated. If you are interested in adding your name, please see post #20 for the rules/requirements and then reach out via PM if you qualify.

Mongoose Tour List
DaltonGang (shaving)
tclobaugh
prairie-dad
Jcan88
Haggises
ShaverGN
Gig103

Sorry for the delay - Memorial Day busyness.

First shave with the goose was full of surprises. I used a Feather pro, and an otherwise standard setup for me (plisson synth brush and a high end artisan soap bowl lathered - WSP today)

I was surprised by the weight of the thing. It's well balanced but I feel like if I dropped it on the sink it would take out part of the sink :)

I was also surprised by how much the width of the blade didn't bother me. (I kind of expected it to bug me).

Did a 2 pass with heavy touch ups ( almost a 3 pass). Shave was smooth and alum confirmed this with barely a tingle. That's the good news. The bad - the shave was not as close as I had hoped (this surprised me too). Maybe I'm spoiled by my R41, or maybe I need to work on my angle, but the goose did not give me a significantly better shave than my NEW or Fatip. And didn't come close to my R41.

Next up I'll give the Feather Super a try. Stay tuned...

Feather Super was a step in the wrong direction for me. I've shaved with it twice to be sure and both shaved were less close and less smooth than the feather. I plan to try the 3rd brand of blade next (Kai??)

It's looking like the Goose is not turning out to be a must have in my stable. It's still a little early to tell, but my experience with the razor does not seem the improving my results much.

You are correct about the impending move- I've reached out to the next recipient already.

I'll write up my conclusions when I have a little more time. Should be soon

List updated. If you are interested in adding your name, please see post #20 for the rules/requirements and then reach out via PM if you qualify.

Mongoose Tour List
tclobaugh
prairie-dad
Jcan88
Haggises
ShaverGN
Gig103
51 Rolls

Top Bottom