What's new

half a bowl?

So I am still a big new to pipe smoking but as I get better at packing and breath technique smoking, I find a bowl will actually last longer than I often have for a smoke. is there any reason that I shouldn't just pack the bowl half full and smoke it. I think I read it is not good not to smoke down to the bottom of the bowl, so rather then pack it full and smoke half, does anyone just pack half ? (may b a silly question..... but there it is �� )

Sure why not! When I break in a new pipe I actually do a 3 step process: 1- pack the pipe 1/3 and smoke it a handful of bowls to build a cake at the bottom (which is harder to do smoking full bowls because most ditch the last 1/3-1/4 bowl anyway due to moisture and ash buildup), 2- pack it 2/3 full for a handful of bowls, 3- pack it all the way up. That way I have a nice cake built up and I can smoke it at any amount I want.

I sometimes want to smoke a single flake or a quick bowl or a sample - I'll smoke a half bowl. I do advise packing a half bowl though.

I often pack half a bowl for my morning commute since it's a pretty short drive (20 mins or so). Put as much in as you think you'll smoke through in the time you have. :)

There's nothing wrong with loading half a bowl.

You can also load however much, smoke half of it, put it down, and smoke the rest another day.

My wife has been getting into it lately but she only smoke 5-10 minutes and then she doesn't want to resume the same bowl next time. We ended up with a bunch of partially smoked bowls. Now I'm loading a tiny amount for her, like 1/10 of a bowl. Seems to work ok.

A bulk Virginia blend from my local shop they label "Twilight".

I have to start buying name brand tins, so I can compare to others ;) But this blend is nice and less than $4 per ounce.

Feel free to ask them what that blend compares too. You'll learn a lot about how their blends are similar to tins. The right tobacconist will tell you and know that "this is comparable to Full Virginia Flake" or "customers say this is a match to Squadron Leader"

Top Bottom