What's new

Finally, my first SE shave

Took a few weeks to get around to it, but I finally gave my 1912 a spin. Let me preface this by saying that my technique this evening was awful. I've been suffering from allergies due to my apartment's dirty heat system and the frigid weather, so my shower and shave were a haze of near-sneezes and benadryl coma. I was well enough to get the job done, but suffice it to say I was not exactly my best.

The results? WHAT A SHAVE!

I got right to the cusp of a perfect BBS. I know there's a lot more to take in and learn from this razor, but I already got a grip on what I like about SE: The rigid blade. It was obviously very sharp as well, but the rigidity just makes the tool feel much more powerful, as though the hairs can't stand in its way as much as a floppy DE blade. I'd liken the experience to my first shave with a NEW LC, except with more efficiency and cutting power.

I had a 3 pass shave with a Gem Personna SS blade, Stirling Hot Apple Cider, and Noxzema as a supporting cast. I typically feel around and do a cleanup pass at the end, but I was too lazy in today's condition. To my delight I applied balm and immediately noticed that the cleanup was unnecessary! The trouble spots were super close and everything else was just velvet!

I was a bit irresponsible on my neck, considering that the blade was very new and sharp. Alum feedback hit me good there, but it soothed the area rapidly without the need for a splash. Honestly, this shave improved my day and I'm beginning to fear for the future of my DE rotation. :blushing: But hey... I get it now!

There's lots to learn in the next few shaves. I plan on riding with the 1912 for the next 5+ shaves or so to hone both my technique and opinion of the razor. Too soon to tell, but I did sort of feel that there could have been more efficiency to the whole thing. This could have been my poor effort, lack of experience, or perhaps a slight lack of desired aggression in the razor. Time will tell.

I'd like to settle on a definitive SE razor, rather than have a big rotation of them like I ended up with DE. I've been informed that the Micromatics are more aggressive, but I'm not sure if this includes the Bullet Tip. If someone could shed some light on a comparison between the 2, it might help me in the coming weeks as I decide which direction to move in (if any). I'm thinking it would be between the Bullet Tip and the Clog Pruf.

One thing is for sure: this 1912 isn't going anywhere. If it ends up being my SE of choice, I will probably only need to get myself a prettier one to let it be the star of my den, and my current 1912 can be a loaner to enlighten my wet shaving friends.

Last little note/question: I impulse-bought a 5-pack of Ted Pella blades. I doubt I'll touch them for upwards of a month, but I figured I'd grab them because I hadn't seen them around much. What can I expect from these blades? And where would I find a good source for them if I end up liking them?

Thanks for all the SE encouragement guys. I look forward to solidifying my LOSER status.

Glad to hear that it went well. It'll be hard to surpass the shave of the 1912, but some of us do prefer other SEs, but usually the 1912 is near the top for everyone. There are also several versions of the 1912 which shave slightly differently, so there is plenty more to explore.

Best of luck with your SE journey :boat:

Welcome to the SE world. I can't say I have a favorite SE, but the 1912 would definitely make my top 5 list.

Regarding the micromatics, aggressiveness is highly subjective, and YMMV. That being said, conventional wisdom is that the bullet tip is milder than the 1912, the Clog-Pruf is in the same ballpark (maybe a little more aggressive), and the Open Comb is significantly more aggressive.

If you're looking for more aggressive SE's, consider the Ever-Ready 1914 and 1924 (aka shovelhead).

The nice thing about SE's is that putting together a small collection won't break the bank.

--Bob

Top Bottom