What's new

What Are Your Food Goals for 2015?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Umm, let me get back to you. I would be starting from ground zero - never hunted, don't currently own a rifle. My brother-in-law offered to take me out, so I do have that option.

Take your brother in law up on the offer. He will be glad to teach you. You don't have to learn it all just a few things to bag a hog. Plus, hogs are really a menace. They chase or kill off all the native wildlife and destroy crops.

More Japanese food. Thai food. Persian food.

My new apartment complex has two fabulous big gas grills, so I see a ton more grilled dinners. Though it is odd to be taking cooked meat up to my apartment in the elevator.

Take your brother in law up on the offer. He will be glad to teach you. You don't have to learn it all just a few things to bag a hog. Plus, hogs are really a menace. They chase or kill off all the native wildlife and destroy crops.

I will seriously consider it. Let's put this down as an "aspirational" goal.

Persian food.

I'd like to hear more about this. Not sure I could define Persian food is.

[QUOTE

I'd like to hear more about this. Not sure I could define Persian food is.[/QUOTE]
I'm awaiting my Persian cookbook, but stews, braises, grills; pomegranate molasses; pilafs. Lamb. Huge country with wide food traditions to explore.

English is the only language without a word for the lovely brown crust that can appear at the bottom of a pot of cooked rice. The Persian version is fantastic; I have to learn how to make that.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
To start taking our diet more seriously. This last episode with my wife is a big old smack in the face. I am not 25 anymore.

More baked dishes. Something that can require some stovetop work, but ultimately finishes off in the oven for an hour or so.

Procuring a carbon steel pan, and using the hell out of it.

More "parties". Having friends/family over for an afternoon dinner, a glass (or two) of wine/beer/whatever, and a little fun.

Sorting out an herb garden for our new (to us) house. Damn shame to grow nothing on 2/3 of an acre other than rosemary, grass, and palm trees.

I will echo a few others by saying I want to improve my technique and recipe base for Asian style dishes, so if anyone has recipes please share. I am also going to cure my own corned beef this year from scratch, I've been saying it for a few years, this year I'm doing it.

More "parties". Having friends/family over for an afternoon dinner, a glass (or two) of wine/beer/whatever, and a little fun.

Sorting out an herb garden for our new (to us) house. Damn shame to grow nothing on 2/3 of an acre other than rosemary, grass, and palm trees.

I like both of these. We moved into a place about a year ago with the same kind of backyard (roughly 2/3 acre) and have been too busy for a lot of company or to think about planting a garden. I'd like to change that this year.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I will echo a few others by saying I want to improve my technique and recipe base for Asian style dishes, so if anyone has recipes please share. I am also going to cure my own corned beef this year from scratch, I've been saying it for a few years, this year I'm doing it.
I also will commit myself to doing corned beef. There- it is official now

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Here's my list:

1. Smoked brisket
2. Lamb chops
3. Paella
4. Gumbo
5.Jambalaya
6. Fried calamari
7. Fatty
8. Well you know how a lub dem corn dogs.

I've got a few food goals this year.

I need to get better at deboning poultry. I'm okay right now but I'd like to get my time under two minutes and it needs to be better looking when I'm done.
Home made pasta is a goal I've had for a while, this year I'd like to start working on it.
More Asian food. Mapo Tofo was a gate way drug for my family, we eat Mapo Tofu or a variant at least twice a month and as often as once a week.
My pie and pastry skills need some work. I'd like to start making puff pastry and croissants at home. I don't think I've ever made a cake from scratch at home either.
More fermented foods and more pickled foods.
I want to increase my vegetable intake. I want to get to the point where it's a rare day that I don't get 5 or more servings of vegetables.
Paella and cioppino have been on my list for several years and more importantly paella has been on my wife's list too.
Home made jerky.
More whole grains.
We have really cut back how often we eat out, I'd like to cut it back even further.

For those looking for "Asian" food I would suggest Sri Owen's "Indonesian Food". Indonesian food is largely unknown - most people know sate and perhaps beef rendang - mainly because it is a home-based style of cooking and when I lived in Jakarta, decent Indonesian restaurants were few and far between. Nowadays it is a different story and there are some stellar places.

Sri Owen is Indonesian, now based in UK and writes extensively on Indonesia and its food: http://www.sriowen.com

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I've got a few food goals this year.

I need to get better at deboning poultry. I'm okay right now but I'd like to get my time under two minutes and it needs to be better looking when I'm done.
Home made pasta is a goal I've had for a while, this year I'd like to start working on it.
More Asian food. Mapo Tofo was a gate way drug for my family, we eat Mapo Tofu or a variant at least twice a month and as often as once a week.
My pie and pastry skills need some work. I'd like to start making puff pastry and croissants at home. I don't think I've ever made a cake from scratch at home either.
More fermented foods and more pickled foods.
I want to increase my vegetable intake. I want to get to the point where it's a rare day that I don't get 5 or more servings of vegetables.
Paella and cioppino have been on my list for several years and more importantly paella has been on my wife's list too.
Home made jerky.
More whole grains.
We have really cut back how often we eat out, I'd like to cut it back even further.

Shawn, great goals for the year. I've incorporated many more veggies into breakfast. Spinach, asparagus, garlic, onion, tomatoes,even brussel sprouts all finely diced and sautéed in a pan and mixed with eggs. Nobody ever thinks to add lots of veggies in the breakfast meal.

Home made pasta may just put me over the edge to insanity.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

I want to get a pasta maker this year, too. They say that once you have had home made you won't go back to boxed. And as to eating out- we do it far too ofter ourselves. Since I have been trying out things posting in the Mess Hall, I know I can do better myself at home, where I can control the ingredients that go into it. I just have to get past my lazy factor.

My wife makes homemade pasta; its a completely different food from what you get at the grocer. Definitely a worthy pursuit.

Shawn, great goals for the year. I've incorporated many more veggies into breakfast. Spinach, asparagus, garlic, onion, tomatoes,even brussel sprouts all finely diced and sautéed in a pan and mixed with eggs. Nobody ever thinks to add lots of veggies in the breakfast meal.

Home made pasta may just put me over the edge to insanity.

I've been working on incorporating more vegetables into breakfast for a while now. I'll dice a Roma tomato and half of an avocado and eat them with eggs. For a while I was having a green smoothie with or for breakfast 3-4 times a week, I need to get back into that habit.

Home made pasta is great, and it's not that hard to make, I just need to make better use of my time.

I want to get a pasta maker this year, too. They say that once you have had home made you won't go back to boxed. And as to eating out- we do it far too ofter ourselves. Since I have been trying out things posting in the Mess Hall, I know I can do better myself at home, where I can control the ingredients that go into it. I just have to get past my lazy factor.

I've made pasta at home and I still use boxed pasta :tongue_sm Sometimes I don't get home from work or school until 7 or 8 pm and I just don't have time or the energy to make pasta. I've thought about making a bunch of pasta and freezing it in family size portions, that might be the way to go.

My wife makes homemade pasta; its a completely different food from what you get at the grocer. Definitely a worthy pursuit.

Home made pasta is very different from dried pasta. Has your wife ever made spaghetti at home? Home made spaghetti would be the bomb!

Home made pasta is very different from dried pasta. Has your wife ever made spaghetti at home? Home made spaghetti would be the bomb!
No spaghetti yet; she has done fettuccine, ravioli, gnocchi, and lasagna. All fantastic. I agree with you though, the texture you get with a fresh noodle would make some outstanding spaghetti.

Our food goals for this year are to

- Buy organic when we are able to
- Eat less gluten (My wife is sensitive to it)
- Try to have 3 meatless days per week
- Limit animal fat intake
- At least one smoothie or green juice per day
- Attempt to make all of the above taste good

Top Bottom