What's new

What Are Your Food Goals for 2015?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
There are many foods and recipes I would like to try but haven't either through ignorance or laziness. I'm embarrassed to say that I have never smoked a brisket...so that's on my list. Cooking Lamb chops is another. What about other things like healthy types of foods you've never tried or even considered? This sub forum has really enabled and encouraged me to branch out beyond what is the norm. Thank you Mess Hall, I love you.

I challenge you to make something you've never made.

P.S. First and foremost I thank God that I had food to eat for breakfast today.

Last edited:
It takes some courage for a Texan to admit that he has never smoked a brisket. Them fightin' words there! :lol:

In 2014, I ate a lot healthier than I did in 2013. In 2015, I would like to continue that trend. I rarely eat out and would like to change "rarely" to "never" or at least "only when invited by others".

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
In my short time here I have already had so many first. My first, from scratch, cast iron corn bread, grilled my first rack of lamb, I made my first hot sauce, and just yesterday my first Texas Red Chili (about time- I have only lived here two years). A lot of other things I am forgetting now. This year I hope to make my first curry dish, and I hope to get a smoker so I can try my hand at pulled pork and brisket. This place is inspiring me to do things I had never considered before. Like Matthew, I hope to eat healthier, too. Cooking at home from scratch is a step in that direction.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
It takes some courage for a Texan to admit that he has never smoked a brisket. Them fightin' words there! :lol:

In 2014, I ate a lot healthier than I did in 2013. In 2015, I would like to continue that trend. I rarely eat out and would like to change "rarely" to "never" or at least "only when invited by others".

I know!! I've smoked ribs, chicken, sausage, peppers but never brisket.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
No real goals set, I will keep a open mind on the subject and try a few new things for me.
Other than that, just hang out here, get inspired by what you guys are doing and give it a crack myself.
Maybe a pulled pork for the BBQ, yeah that just made the list.
Oh yeah I need to cook a fatty on the BBQ.

I need to cook more, as I know my wife appreciates it when I branch out and try new and exciting meals. I'd like to procure a Weber grill as well. I also plan to try breads again.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I need to cook more, as I know my wife appreciates it when I branch out and try new and exciting meals. I'd like to procure a Weber grill as well. I also plan to try breads again.
I hear you about the bread- I need to make some more myself.

My wife (and by association I and my children) will be starting a low Glycemic Index (GI) diet this year. We did it about 3 years ago when we were trying to get pregnant with our second child. My wife lost like 25 pounds in just a couple of months and we were pregnant almost immediately after that.

Got to get back to one "splurge meal" a week. One "splurge day" at the most. By splurge I mean eating out, high fat/salt/sugar etc...junk food.
Cooking wise, want to get into more Thai and Vietnamese style cooking. Healthy food, lots of flavor.

Edit- also looking to trade my propane cooker for a charcoal cooker or smoker; something nice.
Would like to do a Beef Wellington and work on mastering homemade pizza. And street tacos...I eat a lot of these but feel they could use some improvement and creativity.
These kind of clash with the whole health kick to varying extents but variety is the spice of life.

Last edited:
My wife (and by association I and my children) will be starting a low Glycemic Index (GI) diet this year. We did it about 3 years ago when we were trying to get pregnant with our second child. My wife lost like 25 pounds in just a couple of months and we were pregnant almost immediately after that.

That's pretty interesting.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Otto, make sure you post Thai and Vietnamese recipes- i would like to broaden my meal choices

Otto, make sure you post Thai and Vietnamese recipes- i would like to broaden my meal choices

I will, right now all I know is Pad Thai and while delicious it's not a good thing to eat all the time.
I don't want to derail the thread but if anyone can recommend a good cookbook or website along these lines maybe PM me, it would be appreciated.

I've been looking at a Moroccan Lamb Stew recipe from Williams-Sonoma for at least 5 years. Every year I say, "I'm going to make that". This year I will; this thread put it in writing so that makes it a goal. I'd like to purchase or build a smoker and start smoking pork butt and ribs. I'd need better knives and cutting boards but those may have to wait.

I would also like to get better at plating my food. Aaron's pictures have really inspired me!

Tangentially related: I've been thinking about hunting my own food. I've never done it before. Plenty of wild hogs running around.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I've been looking at a Moroccan Lamb Stew recipe from Williams-Sonoma for at least 5 years. Every year I say, "I'm going to make that". This year I will; this thread put it in writing so that makes it a goal. I'd like to purchase or build a smoker and start smoking pork butt and ribs. I'd need better knives and cutting boards but those may have to wait.

I would also like to get better at plating my food. Aaron's pictures have really inspired me!

Tangentially related: I've been thinking about hunting my own food. I've never done it before. Plenty of wild hogs running around.

Moroccan Lamb Stew huh? Oh, man...now have I to change my goals!!! That sounds really good.

Hunting for wild hogs is difficult. They are extremely smart. The pay off for being patient is very good. They are a lean pork that does not taste like store bought. A very worthy goal for 2015...should we hold you to this?

I want to build a paella pit like the ones in Andalucía. Also, it's time for a new grill-after my six years waiting for my underwhelming "smoker" to rust out. I'm torn between a Weber (will be my second) and busting out the Tig welder.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I want to build a paella pit like the ones in Andalucía. Also, it's time for a new grill-after my six years waiting for my underwhelming "smoker" to rust out. I'm torn between a Weber (will be my second) and busting out the Tig welder.

Dreams come true with a tig in your hand.

Hunting for wild hogs is difficult. They are extremely smart. The pay off for being patient is very good. They are a lean pork that does not taste like store bought. A very worthy goal for 2015...should we hold you to this?

Umm, let me get back to you. I would be starting from ground zero - never hunted, don't currently own a rifle. My brother-in-law offered to take me out, so I do have that option.

Top Bottom