What's new

January Photo Contest - TIME TO VOTE!

This month's theme provided by Cachorro

No problem, it's a busy season:)

For Jan let's try Monocromes that are not Black and White. That should be interesting in my mind.

Cheers,
El Cachorro

The theme is Non B&W monochrome
One entry per person
You must be the photographer
Try to make it a recent one

Last edited:
so you are talking using a selenium or sepia tone? for example:
$DSC_0980.jpg$DSC_0980-2.jpg$DSC_0980-3.jpg

Those look more like duotones. Monotone would be just tones of a single color. Just like B&W is tones of black.

This is my interpretation on one of the previous images posted.

$DSC_0980.jpg

Its a little on the extreme side to illustrate, but I created a monotone image (with the duotone color mode) in Photoshop. This image is just tones of blue.

Those look more like duotones. Monotone would be just tones of a single color. Just like B&W is tones of black.

This is my interpretation on one of the previous images posted.

Its a little on the extreme side to illustrate, but I created a monotone image (with the duotone color mode) in Photoshop. This image is just tones of blue.

You are correct, there may be many interpretations of "Monochrome". The intent of the theme was as described in this link (http://www.photokonnexion.com/definition-monochrome/), which is basically one hue with all the range of light and shadows (including black and white).

Just for the sake of argument, I would include all of the pics above as Non B&W Monocromes, but thanks for encouraging amigable debate, that is one of the things that makes this forum awsome :thumbup:.

$DSCN1400 - Sassy - Lighter Eye-Albumen Monochrome.jpg
Here's one to add to our mix. This is an albumen print.

Edges burned and the dark eye was dodged.

Natural lighting

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat, I just need to order some chemicals though.
My darkroom is out of commission for a few months due to my relocation for a new job. Maybe I'll try a cyanotype.....Just have to go back to our old house that hasn't sold yet to pick up my pinhole camera.

we went to the beach last night, and where we parked is lit by sodium lights, giving everything a orange tone. I liked it but then decided to go the other way, and used a blue split tone

$DSC_0200.jpg

Top Bottom