What's new

How do you feel about Black Fatboys? thinking about doing mine.

I Have a couple of Fatboys, and I was considering doing this to one of mine. Just worried about fingerprints, the shine going dull, etc

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I have three fatboys and would love to have one in that finish. What is it, where is it done, and what is the cost?

I believe that is black chrome. Chris at razorplate.com used to do it but he recently stopped the black chrome in favour of black rhodium due to quality concerns.

I have three fatboys and would love to have one in that finish. What is it, where is it done, and what is the cost?

Several Replators offer black chrome or Rhodium as a replate option, with varying prices.

I'm planning on doing a Fatboy and Slim with a variation of that. I'm thinking Black Rhodium, with a regular Rhodium Adjuster and TTO. I've just got to get them taken apart and cleaned first. I think the black looks great.

I remember those guys. They were hot for a a good minute, but once they did that Disorderlies movie, there was no coming back from that.

Cool razor BTW. If you're gonna do that, make sure to have an original spec one in your possesion. It looks cool now, but what you're doing is the shaving equivalent of putting a carbon fiber wing on a 1955 Buick Roadmaster. It may seem like a good idea now, but factory spec is timeless.

Attachments

• $63153d5378512c58fc04c797c85adc39.jpg
    $63153d5378512c58fc04c797c85adc39.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 327
  • $220px-Buick_Roadmaster_1957.jpg
    $220px-Buick_Roadmaster_1957.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 325
Black Rhodium Fatboy would be superb... now you've got me thinking, luckily I'm on the quarterly restraint until spring so I have plenty of time to ponder...

Please post pics when you get it done!

The solid-black Fatty in the photos, looks more like black rhodium than black chrome. Both finishes have a very similar look, but I have plated with both materials and have made the move to only offering black rhodium.

The black chrome is less expensive, but I was having too much variability with supplies from lot # to lot #. Some of the batches of chemicals gave absolutely stellar results - others yielded plating issues. I can't afford to do re-works caused by faulty solutions, nor do my customers deserve the hassle! When it came right down to it, I no longer trusted the supplies I was getting from a certain vendor, so I went totally to my trusted, long-term supplier for the black rhodium option. This vendor had long since dropped black nickel and black chrome for similar reasons. That was why I had started purchasing black chrome from another source. I learned my lesson! Now I understand why my primary supplier no longer carries any option but black rhodium.

If black is the look you want, the black rhodium is the way to go!

Black Rhodium Fatboy would be superb... now you've got me thinking, luckily I'm on the quarterly restraint until spring so I have plenty of time to ponder...

Please post pics when you get it done!

I am in the yearly, I told my girlfriend I wanted to have it done sometime and she surprised me by stealing my third fatboy ( the other 2 are with the captain). She wants to get it replated because she loves black shiny metal and thinks it would look cool.

I'm a big fen of Fatboy. Fatboy Slim. He ain't black, but very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom