What's new

What's Cooking, 2015

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
A lot of great looking seafood on this page!

Forgot to take a picture, but tonight I made sous vide cod fillets with green beans & fava beans in a butter-lime-curry-hot sauce-sauce. Was delicious, but a little too much heat and I was sweating halfway through! :bayrum2:
Fava beans without a nice Chianti? For shame.

Fava beans without a nice Chianti? For shame.

Indeed! Couldn't do it...too creepy, so I had a beer instead.

$silence_of_the_lambs.jpg

OK, I need to add that one to the recipe book. It looks absolutely delicious.

[MENTION=83342]DoctorShavegood[/MENTION] Aaron, do you have a recipe you can share?

Made a batch of soft pretzels with my daughter the other day. Quick, easy and delicious! Plus, great with the homebrews!

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449061373.567993.jpg

Also made a beer can chicken the other night. I know everyone says the beer can doesn't do anything, but it's still fun and looks impressive. It turned out great, but I didn't get any pics [emoji849].

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Brussel sprouts, white onion and garlic went through the food processor for a skillet toss in butter and balsamic vinegar. The seasoning was curry, turmeric, garam masala, coriander, S&P. Stuffed salmon on the top.

$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking meal Aaron, I think I could handle Brussels sprouts done that way. It was the one thing I didn't have to eat when I was a boy.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Great looking meal Aaron, I think I could handle Brussels sprouts done that way. It was the one thing I didn't have to eat when I was a boy.

Thanks. I charred them first in a cast iron skillet with some butter. Then I threw them into a food processor along with onion and garlic. Then back into skillet to finish cooking. You could add any spices you want. I just did more of an Indian thing.

I should eat it more often

The wife and I like stuffed salmon. The stuffing is nice and is a fake crab which is basically pollock. Season it with a little Old Bay.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The wife and I like stuffed salmon. The stuffing is nice and is a fake crab which is basically pollock. Season it with a little Old Bay.

I would probably broil my fish, but I cook so little of it I would probably have a hard time knowing when it is done (and not over-done)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I would probably broil my fish, but I cook so little of it I would probably have a hard time knowing when it is done (and not over-done)

Trout is easy and salmon is a little harder to know when it's done. For trout, a place broiler to preheat. Place trout skin side down on non-stick foil, put in oven for 7 minutes. Turn over and cook another 2 to char the skin...done. Peel the skin off if you don't want to eat it.

Salmon fillets takes longer. Normally I'll broil it for 7 minutes, pull out and check for doneness...back in needed. Flip like above for 2 more.

The stuffed salmon I'll bake at 400 for about 18 minutes.

As delicious to the eye as i'm sure it was to eat Aaron!

Trout and salmon filets also cook up really well, done with the skin side down, grilled on the bbq.

Apparently bitter (and i see sprouts rated as bitter) is a taste that is very difficult for the young to deal with, an appreciation for it only comes with the passing of years. I can remember as a kid wanting to eat them because they looked so cool but it was a struggle to get them down. Now they're in my top three anticipated vegetables of the growing season, still have a few feeds left in the backyard.

Favourite way to prep is, if large, cut into bite size pieces , saute in butter 'til browned-a-bit then pour in some whipping cream, braise to reach the desired 'bite'. Squeeze of lemon, salt and pepper, sublime!

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
As delicious to the eye as i'm sure it was to eat Aaron!

Trout and salmon filets also cook up really well, done with the skin side down, grilled on the bbq.

Apparently bitter (and i see sprouts rated as bitter) is a taste that is very difficult for the young to deal with, an appreciation for it only comes with the passing of years. I can remember as a kid wanting to eat them because they looked so cool but it was a struggle to get them down. Now they're in my top three anticipated vegetables of the growing season, still have a few feeds left in the backyard.

Favourite way to prep is, if large, cut into bite size pieces , saute in butter 'til browned-a-bit then pour in some whipping cream, braise to reach the desired 'bite'. Squeeze of lemon, salt and pepper, sublime!

dave

Dave, I guess I need to revive my brussel sprout thread.

Top Bottom