What's new

Odd question: HOW do you nick a strop?

Never nicked the middle of one, but when I was getting started I goofed up the flip and nicked the ends a few times. Usually the bottom end.

Never nicked the middle of one, but when I was getting started I goofed up the flip and nicked the ends a few times. Usually the bottom end.

This is how I've nicked mine too. After I flip the blade I occasionally, inadvertently, move the razor very slightly in the wrong direction. Or I'll miss a half-pass, go back to repeat it, and nick the strop while laying the blade on it. Hasn't happened for awhile now, but I've also forced myself to slow down.

I've got a few of these nicks on the bottom end of my strop. Some good advice above. I'm now trying to start my stropping motion before resting the edge of the blade on the strop.

I've not nicked my strop yet...it's a paddle strop I made and I think with a paddle strop there are a few less variables to have to contend with. I go so slow where I'm not sure it's possible for me to nick it. I'm over 110 shaves in and I still most days feel like a rookie at stropping. If I do start to go too fast, the edge will suffer...I've come to the realization that 30 seconds to a minute extra for stropping slower is worth keeping my edge nice and my strop intact. Maybe I'll get faster...or maybe I won't... Either way it's all good:thumbup1:

Top Bottom