What's new

Ready for some scotch

Lagavulin is my all time favorite scotch. The price has gone up in recent years which has led me to find alternatives.
For a beginner I say Johnny walker black. This is because you should see if you like it or not. you shouldn't be drinking scotch with ice...it ruins it and keeps the flavor from opening up.

I did some looking online for recommendation and from here I put together a list of what I will look for. Everything with the stars next to it are ones that I really want to try/look for. Out of this list how would you rank them?

Glenlivet 18 year ****
Glenmorangie Nectar d’Or 12 year ****
Glenmorangie 18yo
Lagavulin 16yo ****
TE BHEAG ****
THE GLENLIVET NADURRA 16 YEAR ****
The Macallan single malt 12yo **** (or 18yo)
Laphoriag 10 yo (cask strength)
Talisker 10yo
Highland Park 18yo
Balvenie Doublewood 12yo

At that price my favorite is Balvenie Doublewood.

Absolutely - if you can find it at that price. I have a 17-year Doublewood that I received as a gift, but it's priced at $120+ in the places I looked. It seems that the DW12 is available right at $50. I'm nearly to the end of my Balvenie 15 and it was one of the most enjoyable that I've had, and the DW17 is next.

I also really enjoyed a Lagavulin 16. I drank half and waited eight years to drink the other half. That second half was amazing because it had mellowed considerably...but the Balvenie 15 was better!

Short answer: try the Balvenie DW12. It should be a safe bet, assuming it has the characteristics that you like in a Scotch.

Last edited:
First post. I had to register just to chime in.

If you have a costco membership I'd recommend checking out their selection.

I just picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 16 at my local one for about $55 here in California. I'd also recommend Oban 14 yr for a intro scotch if you can find it at the right price. (my costco had it for $46). But the selection and prices do vary from costco to costco and state to state. I wanted to pick up a bottle for my dad when I was visiting NJ and they didn't have the Lagavulin and the prices on the other bottles were 10-15 dollars more per bottle =(.

Happy tasting

I just picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 16 at my local one for about $55 here in California. I'd also recommend Oban 14 yr for a intro scotch if you can find it at the right price. (my costco had it for $46). But the selection and prices do vary from costco to costco and state to state. I wanted to pick up a bottle for my dad when I was visiting NJ and they didn't have the Lagavulin and the prices on the other bottles were 10-15 dollars more per bottle =(.

Happy tasting
I do have a Costco membership. Didn't even think about checking them out either.

I picked up a bottle of GlenGrant 10 for $35 yesterday. Not a bad single malt for the price! Still doesn't beat Monkey Shoulder for me, but not much does.

Johnny Walker Black is a good blend, but, for about half the price you can get Black Bottle scotch and I find it similar and just as good.

I tried Black Grouse, I find it just OK. It has a cereal nose and aftertaste which I don't really like. Highland Park 12 is a good one for a beginner, very balanced.

Macallan 12 is another rather inexpensive single malt which is quite good, though I actually prefer the Aberlour 12 non-chill filtered to it. It's higher ABV provides for a longer finish. Both are sherry cask finished which adds to their flavor.

Good luck and enjoy!

Happy tasting
WHA?! Lagavulin 16 for 55 bucks? Buy a case!!
In Florida, it's no cheaper than 99 bucks.

I did some looking online for recommendation and from here I put together a list of what I will look for. Everything with the stars next to it are ones that I really want to try/look for. Out of this list how would you rank them?

Glenlivet 18 year ****-------------------------------10
Glenmorangie Nectar d’Or 12 year ****-------------4
Glenmorangie 18yo------------------------------------3
Lagavulin 16yo **** ----------------------------------1
TE BHEAG ****--------------------------------------?
THE GLENLIVET NADURRA 16 YEAR ****------------9
The Macallan single malt 12yo **** (or 18yo)-------8
Laphoriag 10 yo (cask strength)-----------------------2
Talisker 10yo--------------------------------------------7
Highland Park 18yo-------------------------------------5
Balvenie Doublewood 12yo

Talisker is too peppery for me, otherwise
itd rank higher.
Not a fan of Glenlivet
what is TE BHEAG?

I managed to get a bottle of JW Black 12 yo as a present. It was great. I was surprised on how much the flavors changed over the course of a few hours. I added a little water and it made it pretty enjoyable.

For a beginner Scotch I would avoid Islay and go for Highland/Speyside.

I know it's not technically scotch but some of the Irish single malts (Bushmills and Jamesons) are easy to drink and won't overwhelm your palette if you are new to whisky. It's what got me started

Well if that's how you want to go. Lagavulin 16yo is probably the best scotch around today IMHO, and in Louisiana is about $80. It simply can't be beat (peated or otherwise, and it is peated). At $75 I'd still recommend you try the original I listed. They are great examples of their regions. Then you can go up in age from there. Glenmorangie makes an 18yo which sells for around $80 where I live. I just polished off the 3rd bottle of mine tonight, and I plan on replacing it. Highland Park makes a 15yo which is extremely good which can be found for around $75, however I still recommend the 12yo for starting out. I'd also still look at Talisker, just an older cask. Springbank makes an AMAZING (12 & 15yo) scotch which can be had around that price point as well particularly the 15yo.

For peated whiskeys, the above mentioned Lagavulin 16yo is excellent. Coal Ila 12yo, which is mentioned in the ralfystuff video above, is GREAT. The Coal Ila 12yo is a great introduction into peated whiskeys (make sure to get the peated version as there are 2, unpeated and peated), as is the Laphroaig.. Ardbeg 10yo & Uigeadail (which is believe is a bit more than $75) is good as well. Ardbeg claims to be the most peated whiskey on the market today. I've not had the 10yo which is in your price point, but I've had others drams (Uigeadail ~$80) which were quite good.

I truly enjoy the peated whiskeys and if I had to rank them, it would be Lagavulin 16yo, Coal Ila 12yo, Ardbeg Uigeadail, and Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

To be honest, go to your local spirits store and have a look. The best way to get into scotch is just to try them. Find what you like best, and purchase scotches of as similar style. You really cant make a wrong choice these days. Scotches are a bit like shaving products; you're going to end up with many. Soon you will start exploring many other brands (there are many that are great that we have not stated here), and find what you like best.

Edit: Look at ralfy, he has 400+ great reviews of whiskeys. Youtube ralfystuff. Excellent recommendation, and has a review for just about every scotch that can be had.

Reading your posts, it sounds like you have very similar tastes to me (except Caol Ila - I was so excited to try it, and very disappointed in the end). Uigeadail is probably my favorite bottle of all time. The only bottle you mentioned that I have yet to try is the Lagavulin 16. Based on your endorsement, I'm moving that to top of my list for the next purchase :thumbup1:.

I am going to look for another bottles or two this week. First stop will be Costco. I am pretty excited. I will update after ...

I'm fairly new to Scotch drinking but here's my two cents. I've only tried two different brands. I had Dewar's blended scotch and was kind of disappointed with the flavor. It seemed very smoky to me. The other one I have tried is Aberfeldy 12 single malt. I got it as a Christmas present and I love it. It was 10 times smoother than the Dewar's I tried before. I checked the price on it and I can purchase it here in the states for around $40 a bottle. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
None of the scotches you noted are "bad" choices. I see a bunch that I've enjoyed over the years. Frankly I've found myself further and further from buying new scotches. I got bored and the price points have risen too high. For the money, I'm enjoying bourbons and ryes.

Darri . I couldn't agree more. To some with tons of $, it doesn't matter, but for lots of folks it does. Instead of getting one bottle of great Scotch for $90, you can get three great bottles of Bourbon/Rye.

Some will point to blended Scotch, and while its not a bad alternative, keep in mind that just about all blended Scotch (or Canadian Whiskey) is made of a LARGE % of neutral grain spirit. Nothing wrong with that, but when a blend "brags" of being made up of say 12, 15, whatever of single malts, it is still probably 40 -50% neutral spirit. Just something to consider that hasn't been mentioned in this thread.

Top Bottom