What's new

My Bad

Put yourself in his shoes and ask if you'd be ok with him teasing you if you were loosing your hair.

No man wants to hear about loosing his hair, just like no woman really wants to know the true answer to "do these jeans make my butt look big?"

You'll be fine, just apologize and explain that you feel bad about it.

Well, not that I did it on purpose to get back at him, but he did tease me about gaining weight once :tongue_sm

Well, not that I did it on purpose to get back at him, but he did tease me about gaining weight once :tongue_sm

If that's true, which I have no reason to not believe, then I might be swaying more towards your side. If this is something that you both do as a joke, maybe he needs to lighten up a little bit, or you both should make it off limits so no one gets the wrong impression.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If that's true, which I have no reason to not believe, then I might be swaying more towards your side. If this is something that you both do as a joke, maybe he needs to lighten up a little bit, or you both should make it off limits so no one gets the wrong impression.
Mine teases me about weight, but it is all in fun. One of the stepdaughters called me Porkchop one day- it stuck.

I have been teasing my husband about his thinning hair, but I think he is starting to feel bad about it and I feel baaaadddd about giving him a hard time about it. Is this really something that men get offended about? Now, I have to make it up to him. Any ideas? other than buying him a bottle of Jack Daniels? :tongue_sm

It depends on the person. Some men are alright with being teased about being bald. The same way some women may be arlight with jokes about wrinkles, cellulite and fatty underarms. But if your partner is sensitive, it's best to use good judgement. I'm sure a heartfelt sorry should smooth things over. Jack Daniels doesn't hurt.

When I first started thinning i took it really hard. It progressed really bad over the course of 3-4 years. I went from having some pretty decent hair to boom, gone.

To be honest, and maybe your husband is different, my ex-gf and my current gf never once teased me about it. I took it hardest when I was with my ex and complained about it a lot. She always told me she didn't care and just as attracted to me as could be.

Now my current GF, she PREFERS me balding/bald. We were joking one day about if they came out with a drug to reverse it I would take it. She said "Please don't do that" She actually prefers that look on me. Whatever, I'll take it.

I've become OK with it now. I've since grown a groomed beard and have been told it suits me well. However, i don't think it's a good idea to tease about something like that.

Well, you should look at the comments on bosley reviews. Some made me laugh, but some made me feel guiltier because these men really felt bad about being made fun of that they went out of their way to get treatment. I think aside from a bottle of Jack Daniels (there is a new one, by the way, Cinnamon?) I should also get a case of Pabst.

Your husband will get his revenge.

I hope it doesn't hurt anybody's feeling though....:w00t:

Last edited by a moderator:
If he happens to make a comment about your physical appearance, or makes a positive one about some other female, you can make a pleasant reply.

As someone who is bald on top (and would rather not be), I would say that . . . it depends. Different men would take such comments very differently, from amusement and laughter to being genuinely hurt. Without knowing more, it's hard to say. If the two of you routinely throw such comments back and forth for fun (and he states that he really doesn't mind such comments), then it's fair game.

For me, the bottom line would be how attractive and desirable my wife found me.

Having said all of that, a sincere apology should be fine. The fact that you care is a very positive sign in my opinion.

I actually registered just to respond to this.

Yes, it's hurtful.

I'm 28 and have had long hair (down to my lower back) since I was 14 or 15. It became part of my persona. I've had a receding hairline since my early 20s, but was lucky enough to be able to hide it fairly well. Unfortunately within the past couple of years, the top started thinning too.

No one else really seemed to care, but I hated it. I didn't want to cut my hair, but I also didn't want to be the type of person that had long, gnarled strands covering up an ever-growing bald spot. My wife was very supportive, and only told me how it looked when I asked her honest opinion. She didn't think it was an issue, but said that it was definitely thinning and you could definitely notice it.

Yesterday, as a New Years resolution, I cut my hair short. I didn't buzz it off like I originally planned, but it's now 1-2" long at the most. It's still not perfect; there's a definite receding hairline that's still visible, but everyone agrees that it looks much better. Surprising to me, I like it too. Most importantly, I'm donating my hair to Locks of Love or a similar organization, so that makes me feel like I did something good for someone.

As I said, my wife was supportive. That really helped me to get through the "I'm getting older and losing my hair" fear. Teasing someone about a feature that they can't change, or can't easily change, simply isn't fair. It's hurtful, and that's what can slowly build up resentment in a marriage. In contrast, how would you feel if your face started to develop significant wrinkles at a relatively young age? Would you rather have you husband reassure you that you still look great and he thinks you're as beautiful as ever, or would you have him tease you and remind you about something that you dislike about yourself but can't fix?

As to why men get upset about it, it's simple - it's a sign of aging, and it's something that society tells us is a problem. It's similar to commercials that show a regular-looking woman dropping 30 lbs down to a skinny, super-model size, or the Photoshopped celebrities on magazine covers that have all of the flaws digitally removed from their skin. Some men keep their hair for all of their life - my father-in-law is in his mid 60s and still has a full head of hair. Others are completely bald in their 20s. It's not something that we can realistically control without dropping a lot of money and taking some risks (hormone-based medications, IIRC), and yet we're constantly reminded that it's not "ideal" or "desirable."

My advice is, rather than buying him a bottle of booze to say sorry, sit down and talk with him about it. If it doesn't honestly bother you and your teasing was merely in jest, let him know that. Apologize, remind him that you love the way he looks regardless, and remember that yes, we (men) do have feelings too.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
He should know that women can be vicious when it comes to comments about weight or other women. lol

Mom, it's trash talk. You know how guys say mean things to their friends the way women say nice things to their enemies?
-Lisa Simpson

Top Bottom