What's new

Newbie from Mid Missouri

Hi all! Just checking in from Missouri. I am a new wetshaver having just rediscovered it because I was just getting sick of paying so much for crazy 4 blade cartridges. Anyway I did my first shave just monday using all new stuff. I must say I remembered how in no time not a single nick or weeper! This is the first time I shaved more than twice in a week for at least 20 years! I always fought ingrown hair and razorburn. Im back to shaving this way for good. Anyway heres my start up gear...

Merkur 34c
7oclock yellow and bluebird blades that i got from a variety pack. This also includes feather which i will use next.
inexpensive badger hair brush
proraso menthol soap
proraso stypic gel
alum block

Im going to do some comparison between blades before settling on a favorite. So far had nice shaves with both i tried although it seemed the 7oclock tugged a bit...
until next post happy shaving!
Marc

Welcome! Sounds like a great setup. I'm a few months in now, with the Merkur 34C being my starter razor and still my main one; it's great. Also can't beat the Proraso. You'll get a lot from this forum; folks here are knowledgeable and helpful. Enjoy!

Hello and welcome, Marc. Great to have you here. B&B is a super forum full of friendly, helpful shavers.

Hi all! Just checking in from Missouri. I am a new wetshaver having just rediscovered it because I was just getting sick of paying so much for crazy 4 blade cartridges. Anyway I did my first shave just monday using all new stuff. I must say I remembered how in no time not a single nick or weeper! This is the first time I shaved more than twice in a week for at least 20 years! I always fought ingrown hair and razorburn. Im back to shaving this way for good. Anyway heres my start up gear...

Merkur 34c
7oclock yellow and bluebird blades that i got from a variety pack. This also includes feather which i will use next.
inexpensive badger hair brush
proraso menthol soap
proraso stypic gel
alum block

Im going to do some comparison between blades before settling on a favorite. So far had nice shaves with both i tried although it seemed the 7oclock tugged a bit...
until next post happy shaving!
Marc

Let us know how the comparisons go....

Hello Marc and welcome to the friendliest, most helpful forum on the net. I am also relatively new. Started DE again a few months ago, before that, it was the 70's when I last used a safety razor.

You made some good choices already. I love the Merkur 34c and Proarso anything. Especially the green and white jar shaving cream. Keep on reading this forum and go slow when shaving. You will begin to enjoy this hobby/chore beyond measure!

Welcome from St. Charles! Fellow newbie here. Sounds like you're off to a great start. Hit me up if you wanna chat or share info. I have started collecting razors too.

Seems like a good setup. Try a variety of blades. I recommend Gillette Silver Blues, Israeli Red Personnas and a nice, cheap blade is the Astra SP. Not sure how " cheap" your badger brush is, but Omega makes several sub $10 boar brushes that perform very well.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I just finished a great shave trying the notorious Feather hi stainless. Wonderful blade with my Merkur 34c. I do a 2 pass shave and this without question is my favorite so far. I think i may stop and buy a bunch now. It really was that good. I used it with Proraso cream. Wow happy!

One thing about this sample pack of Feather though. The packaging was black/silver. The blade had their trademark feather. The white plastic case had their name and Japan on it. Just wondering if this is just old packaging or a knock off?

Top Bottom