What's new

I bought me some new shoes. Now I need help.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418962769.985890.jpg
I bought myself these Aldo shoes, but I've never had a pair of brown dress shoes before. I plan on wearing them casually with jeans, but am unsure of what kind of tops to wear. I'm a college student in Dallas and tend to wear jeans and t shirts most days but am slowly progressing to polos and dress shirts most days. What colors should I avoid with these shoes?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm of the opinion that brown shoes go well with any color.
Bear in mind, not to many people seek my opinion. :tongue_sm

I wouldn't worry about the color of the shirt. Color of the pants, yes. I wouldn't wear those with black pants. Navy or Khaki will work though. Even jeans, but I would wear an OCBD (Oxford Cloth Button Down) with them to dress it up a bit.

The big question: did you get a belt in that color?

Use with any colour. I wouldn't wear with jeans as they are too nice. Get you a nice navy or charcoal gray suit or a dark navy blazer. Very nice find.

I don't agree as I don't find those shoes too formal. In fact, I wouldn't wear these under a suit as I don't find them dress/formal enough :)

My opinion is that these shoes will look great with jeans and khakis, and I agree that they might not be ideal with a suit because of their low gloss finish.

If you polish them to a high gloss, then they will be excellent with suits...but they will no longer work with jeans.

I'd say the problem with wearing them with a suit is that they're tan and not a mid/dark brown. While it's certainly fashionable to wear tan shoes with suits, usually it has to be a lighter gray, navy or blu-ish suit, and the effect is somewhat flashy/fashion forward in my opinion. No problem with that, but if you're just starting out and these are your only nice dress shoes you'll wear the look out quickly. These shoes kind of straddle a casual/formal line that makes them an odd fit. Some people will probably think they're too formal for jeans, some will think they're too casual for a suit. What you wear "on top" isn't so much dictated by your shoes as your pants.

I think the OP's plan to wear them casually is a good idea. They'll fit OK with jeans and chinos, and look a little dressy at first. However, ALDO shoes are kind of middle-lower quality and you will probably need to baby them to keep them looking good for an extended period. I absolutely suggest getting shoe trees ASAP, and a good tan cream polish (not Kiwi). If you want to start wearing them before you get shoe trees, at least stuff some paper in there when you're not wearing them. That will help minimize the creasing.

Won't really matter what shirt you wear with the shoes as long as it's not too ratty. I'd stay away from black jeans though, and make sure you find a matching belt.

If you polish them to a high gloss, then they will be excellent with suits...but they will no longer work with jeans.

Even though polished to a high gloss, the cut of the leather, the lines of the shoes are not ... sharp ? enough to wear under a good suit (which for me means Italian basically). Nice shoes, but I would never wear a pair like these in the office.

Look to British, they were that colour every day with a suit. You can were those shoes with anything , its my personal style as to not wear that type shoe with jeans but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Everyone has their opinion and mine is you can wear these shoes with a business suit or jeans. I think all shoes should have a nice shine, and one should wear a matching color belt.

Ron I

Top Bottom