What's new

I'm so indecisive

To try and keep it short:

I've been shaving for around a year and a half. First razor was a wooden long-handled R89. Couldn't find the right blade after going through more than I care to cover. Technique is decent at best, at this point. Side note: I skin stretch.

Next razor I purchased was this weird looking thing I found in an antique shop while on vacation...knew it was a razor from the blade that came in it. Lo and behold, after doing my research I found that I had purchased myself a 1912 GEM Damaskeene for $20, complete with the original case, blade holder, and a few old blades.

It was a tough stretch, but I went from getting horrible shaves and tons of irritation (using GEM SS blades) to pretty good shaves (great shaves if I went for an extra pass, which would inevitably result in irritation THE DAY AFTER shaving).

I recently acquired a Merkur slant; I don't see what the big deal is. It definitely "tames" more aggressive blades, but two passes doesn't really get me to where I want to be (using a sharp blade and good technique).

I decided to revisit the 1912 after not using it for about a month or two. I love, love, love this razor, but it just isn't getting me BBS or as close to it as I want. I've got sensitive skin and a fairly thick beard (don't we all?), and the stiff blade does WORK on my multi-directional growth.

MY QUESTION IS THIS, TO ALL YOU SE EXPERTS: any recommendation on another SE razor I should try?? I don't care if it's more mild or more aggressive than the Damaskeene (of course, YMMV), as I'm willing to try either. I'm not interested in a micromatic, and I'm not interested in injectors (I've tried a few and they're just too...dare I say it? Boring).

Thanks, gentlemen. Happy shaving (and to those who celebrate, happy holidays)!

Is your Damaskeene the type with the rounded top cap? If it is, then the standard flat top "Brooklyn" 1912 is a closer shaver for me, so that is one option. I actually prefer the Ever-Ready 1924 over any 1912 though so that is another option. The later Gems such as the Feather Weight, Push Button, etc, are largely considered to be very mild and not as close shaving as either the 1912 or 1924. So, obviously my vote would go toward the 1924. The 1924 has two variants. There is one that has rounded teeth in the comb and one that has flat teeth in the comb. I prefer the rounded tooth version as it feels smoother but shaves just about as close for me. The flat tooth version is more common and easier to find. The 1914 Ever-Ready may be another one to consider.

Best of Luck!!

Is your Damaskeene the type with the rounded top cap? If it is, then the standard flat top "Brooklyn" 1912 is a closer shaver for me, so that is one option. I actually prefer the Ever-Ready 1924 over any 1912 though so that is another option. The later Gems such as the Feather Weight, Push Button, etc, are largely considered to be very mild and not as close shaving as either the 1912 or 1924. So, obviously my vote would go toward the 1924. The 1924 has two variants. There is one that has rounded teeth in the comb and one that has flat teeth in the comb. I prefer the rounded tooth version as it feels smoother but shaves just about as close for me. The flat tooth version is more common and easier to find. The 1914 Ever-Ready may be another one to consider.

Best of Luck!!

It's the rounded cap version! I have the angle down, for the most part (keeping the cap nearly touching my face). I'll definitely look into the 1924, both the rounded and flat tooth versions! Appreciate the advice.

What Anthony said!

To summarize: A 1912 with the flat/beveled cap, an Ever-Ready 1914 or 1924, aka Shovelhead.

I believe that all of the Ever-Ready 1912's have the flat cap.

Why no love for the Micromatic? A Micromatic Open Comb would seem to be a possible solution.

--Bob

A Micromatic Open Comb would seem to be a possible solution.

What Bob said. I found that trying to use an OCMM before getting accustomed to SE razors was a little rough, but perhaps you'd have an easy go of one. Just remember that they, like all later GEMs, require the lid of the razor to be flatter against your face than the 1912s.

What Bob said. I found that trying to use an OCMM before getting accustomed to SE razors was a little rough, but perhaps you'd have an easy go of one. Just remember that they, like all later GEMs, require the lid of the razor to be flatter against your face than the 1912s.

I see such polarized opinions over the OCMM; perhaps I SHOULD just try it for myself and see what it can do for me. SE razors are cheap enough that one can just try anything!

I see such polarized opinions over the OCMM; perhaps I SHOULD just try it for myself and see what it can do for me. SE razors are cheap enough that one can just try anything!
+1
I personally own 50+ SE razors. The prices are much cheaper than most DE’s. If you’re a collector than prices for some in pristine condition can be high but most user grade one’s can be had for under $15. Also Don’t forget about Schick injectors(1[SUP]st[/SUP] razor I used 30+ years ago). Have fun developing a raging case of RAD…:thumbup:

Just my small input, been shaving with a SE about seven months. I find my smoothest shaves (irritation and BBS wise) comes from a Ever Ready 1914 and a nowhere near on the face angle. Same for a 1912.

I keep reading almost flat on the face but that never delivers a close shave so I angle it out quite a bit. One wtg, one atg and touch ups. No irritations for me but YMMV. Couldn't hurt to play with the angle.

Top Bottom