What's new

No guard DE?

My BBX with my Mongoose handle as promised.

Like the look! :thumbup: Yes, the BBX with a hefty handle is a challenge. :001_huh:

PS: Here's mine with the feather-light UFO Kaiser in aircraft aluminum -- a match made in heaven.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
You could just use the Gillette slide to simulate the slant experience.
However, I don't think the devette needs to be more effective. Maybe the slide will make it smoother?
And if you used a carbon steel Treet it could be even more awesome since they work best slicing...

just thinking - has anybody tried slant Devette?

I thought about it, didn't bother. I thought it sounded like a Slant Straight/Shavette. ...

+1. I do J-hooking and the Gillette Slide with the BBX, and it works fine. A slant devette would be overkill, IMO.

Full disclosure: I'm down on slants, only because I don't like the look. I don't doubt they're effective.

I feel I have no choice, just to try slant Devette (slavette?) - this idea does not leave my mind. I put a blade and visually razor does not look scary or insane... I had no single cut from devette and use it exclusively, so I do not expect any danger from slavette too...

I feel I have no choice, just to try slant Devette (slavette?) - this idea does not leave my mind. I put a blade and visually razor does not look scary or insane... I had no single cut from devette and use it exclusively, so I do not expect any danger from slavette too...
Brilliant! I love the pioneering spirit of this thread and look forward to hearing your report of the slavette :)

A while back I saw a veterinary injector razor with no guard... that also would be interesting...

Ok, so I did that - my first shave with slant devette. First of all it was nothing dangerous and I am ok - no cuts, no irritation, nothing. In general it is workable and I should explore it further. I cant explain the difference, but there remains the same difference as it is between slant and regular razor.
So, if you have a slant, you can try it without a base plate - it should not kill you :))

Ok, so I did that - my first shave with slant devette. First of all it was nothing dangerous and I am ok - no cuts, no irritation, nothing. In general it is workable and I should explore it further. I cant explain the difference, but there remains the same difference as it is between slant and regular razor.
So, if you have a slant, you can try it without a base plate - it should not kill you :))

What kind of slant was it?

Superb Gytis! You are the slavette pathfinder :)

Or a slavette slave? :whistling:

I've kinda become a BBX slave since I took up with that razor. I'm getting unbelievably close, blood-free shaves. :w00t: Just gotta learn to keep my left hand out of the way of that thing. I'm nursing two cuts on that hand -- maybe I should tie it behind my back since I don't need it to shave. :001_07:

I've kinda become a BBX slave since I took up with that razor. I'm getting unbelievably close, blood-free shaves. :w00t: Just gotta learn to keep my left hand out of the way of that thing. I'm nursing two cuts on that hand -- maybe I should tie it behind my back since I don't need it to shave. :001_07:
I have the same problem - two cuts on my left hand and no scars on face :)))
And here is my slant - it is "Lutch", made in USSR, came with Neva carbon steel blades. Cant compare with other slants - this is the only slant I have :) $IMG_0529.jpg$IMG_0531.jpg

No idea - I got just two of these blades new and two used, so I have not tried them. I shave with Sputnik teflon coated, contemporary ones :)

I had figured you were going to snap the guard off on one side. Am sort of surprised to learn that the blade torques properly without the baseplate to "sandwich" it.

I had figured you were going to snap the guard off on one side. Am sort of surprised to learn that the blade torques properly without the baseplate to "sandwich" it.
Usually blade sits just fine on my DE89 and slant, but on my R41 screw thread is too short and the handle does not clasp the blade to the cap firmly, so I made additional baseplate so sandwich it.

Top Bottom