What's new

No guard DE?

I was perusing the Wiki, which linked to an old article mentioning sharpening systems for DE, comprised of a linen strop and a stick of "dope," with a "10-cent blade holder." Sounded like they were doing both edges at the same time, the strop being in a sling. Doesn't sound too hard to rig up. We've already seen the chopstick Kamisori. Maybe a smooth worn whetstone would do it one edge at a time with a shavette as the holder -- I expect our steel is much softer than a straight razor's.

Without any "exposure" geometry to worry about, it seems we could wear the blade down considerably without losing effectiveness. Are we holding the answer to the shaveocalypse?

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/delusions-about-shaving/
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Science_Of_Shaving

Last edited:
My BBX with my Mongoose handle as promised.

View attachment 545034

For some reason the theme to M.A.S.H. comes to mind while viewing this photograph — Suicide is Painless. The two just do not look like kin that should be mated to one another.

Why not? It's reminiscent of the original BBX handle, albeit with different dimensions. Both have an old-fashioned surgical look about them, so on that level the M.A.S.H. association makes sense.

attachment.php

I am torn. I may not yet be in possession of all the parts of my ultimate frankenrazor. I still have affection for my other Tech style cutting heads, such that I desire to shave with each of them -- even moreso now. The anchor style and open comb, on the other hand, have decidedly fallen out of favor, and two will be leaving my collection. I think the Schmidt R10 will stay for kicks, but is going to have to share its handle, easily the best in my possession, with the DEvette, while Rimei will take back the fake Merkur handle I've been using until now.

Botched, but done. I needed to bore out the nut of the Schmidt handle to accommodate the DEvette cutting head, but mistook that for a need to shorten the Baili screw. By the time I noticed, I had scratched the top cap with sloppy bench work. She's built for speed, I guess you could say:
$14247646969522130415906.jpg$142476578897571401280.jpg

Last edited:
Just interesting - anybody consider devette as their primary shaving tool, or I am alone?

Gytis, you are not alone. The BBX (I now own two) has certainly become a primary shaving tool for me, and my other primaries (Fatip, ATT H1 and H2) have seen considerably less action since the BBX burst onto the scene. I'll never give up my safeties, but no safety razor I've used can match the BBX for fine control of the shave. You can almost feel individual whiskers being mowed down. And the aural feedback is great -- at least with the handles I use (UFO Kaiser in aluminum, ATT Kronos).

Gytis, you are not alone. The BBX (I now own two) has certainly become a primary shaving tool for me, and my other primaries (Fatip, ATT H1 and H2) have seen considerably less action since the BBX burst onto the scene. I'll never give up my safeties, but no safety razor I've used can match the BBX for fine control of the shave. You can almost feel individual whiskers being mowed down. And the aural feedback is great -- at least with the handles I use (UFO Kaiser in aluminum, ATT Kronos).
That is exactly what prevent me of using any of my other razors since the devette was found. Now I see why I coud not get such results otherwise - just could not control angle and pressure of the blade. And sure, the sound of a blade is spectacular.
I am amazed also that I never got any smallest cut, weeper or irritation. Gone. I should test my other blades too.

How did it work? At least one user has complained about "blade chatter" affecting the shave, and I tend to agree. I'm pleased as punch, though, with the BBX, which has a base plate.
It works. I had my home-made baseplate to fix blade firmly, but that was not neccessary. Now use this way several weeks, no sign of problem.
I think that there could be a problems without a base plate when the cap is too narrow and blade is exposed too much AND the blade is too flexible. I used two blades so far - contemporary and vintage Sputink, so I am not sure if this way works well with other blades. Both blades are a little bit less flexible as Astra SP.

I've been involved in the One Blade in February Challenge, which pretty much precludes devette shaving (since devettes tend to wear down blades relatively quickly). And, I decided to stick with one razor the entire month.
Once the challenge is over, I will need to find time for my BBX. I have many razors, but only one face ...

I've been involved in the One Blade in February Challenge, which pretty much precludes devette shaving (since devettes tend to wear down blades relatively quickly). And, I decided to stick with one razor the entire month.
Once the challenge is over, I will need to find time for my BBX. I have many razors, but only one face ...
I am not sure if devette wears down blades. Devette gives more control on angle and stubble is not removed by safety bar... With devette I use 2 passes instead of three, so less strokes cant wear blade faster too.. 27 nice shaves with Sputnik teflon here using devette.

Last edited:
Steep angle definitely degrades the edge faster than shallow for me.
I always bin my blades after 3 shaves (except for the vintage English Wilkinsons) - 27 shaves from a blade is amazing!!!!!

Steep angle definitely degrades the edge faster than shallow for me.
I always bin my blades after 3 shaves (except for the vintage English Wilkinsons) - 27 shaves from a blade is amazing!!!!!
I can only agree that the blade angle makes difference, not the razor. And devette allows use any angle available in regular razor. I do not use steep angle with devette. You can use steep angle with R41, in devette you can use it too, but steep angle does not look effective for me. Actually I think that, if you use most possible shalow angle, the safety bar/comb never touches the skin, so this is the same as shaving with devette.
The 27 shaves are not a miracle, just a nice result for contemporary blade. Please check the Excalibur club - there are guys that have 20-40 shaves per blade, and bosseb is on shave no.116 with vintage Wilkinson blade :)

Last edited:
Before Fat Boy February, the BBX was my primary razor, supplanting a newly arrived pair of Mongoose razors. I even moved an old Feather blade from another and put a feweeks days worth of shaves on it. I have yet to put on a new blade on my BBX. After spending get a month with the fat boy it will be interesting to see how much better my shaves will be with the BBX.

I am not sure if devette wears down blades. ...

I've got 5 or 6 BBX shaves out of a Gillette Silver Blue and 4 or 5 with several other blades, even though the BBX requires a steep angle. So I also am beginning to question the theory that aggressive DE razors and/or a steep shaving angle cuts into blade life. One thing that may (or may not) make a difference: I've been religiously palm-stropping the blade before each shave.

So I also am beginning to question the theory that aggressive DE razors and/or a steep shaving angle cuts into blade life. One thing that may (or may not) make a difference: I've been religiously palm-stropping the blade before each shave.
A ha!!

Someone in the Newbie Clinic, I think, suggested that two months is the typical timeframe for adjusting shaving routine, and as I have numbered the days, I confirm I'm not changing anything anymore. There is less skin contact now than when I started, and I estimate the closer shave only costs 1/3 of the normal blade life.

I conclude my updates to this thread with the "halfsider" method:

1. WTG+XTG reduction pass, with touchups after rinse.
It's just easier and quicker to use the guard and a moderate blade pitch. But it's like doing dishes -- you can go through any number of prescribed motions, and still have crud on your plates. For example: the top of my cheek gets three parallel short strokes, and one long stroke across on the residue. "No pressure." Reduce it to the skin, and no more.

2. Extreme angle exfoliation and follicle evacuation pass.
Efficient, non-repeating strokes with the unguarded blade at the ideal pitch and direction for each topographic region. Your mileage may vary, but for me, it consists of:
Neck: ATG ( or XTG skewed ATG) steep
Transition to underjaw: ATG steep-to-shallow "scoop" (analogue of the "hook" in a J-hook)
Underjaw: ATG shallow
Jaw: XTG skewed ATG, shallow (i.e., lateral strokes toward ear at the corners, toward chin at the center)
Cheek: ATG shallow
Moustache: WTG steep
Buttresses and chin: N-S skewed WTG, steep

3. Guarded finishing pass, with touchups after rinse
Again at the moderate angle of light attack, but even more relaxed than the first pass, because there is little to no traction on the edge. Roughly speaking, WTG+XTG above the jaw, ATG+XTG below the jaw, XTG on the jaw.

Last edited:
Top Bottom