What's new

No guard DE?

I think you could just pinch the safety razor blade between your fingers and glide it down your face and save $50. Or just go from left to right and watch the jugular spray the bathroom mirror with blood. Last chance to write your last will & testament using only your finger!

Interesting. My shaves get very rough after 4 or 5 shaves. Should I tough it out and see if it gets better? :tongue_sm

Wow, awesome! :a14:

I always get one or two shaves that feels like a dull blade, somewhere in 6th-9th shave range. I think that is because of some coating wears off. But then, after these one or two shaves, the blade goes very well. I also do palm stroping after these "dull" shaves before shave, and then normal blade goes very nice to 22-30 shaves in total.

I have a GSB literally stuck in a devette like the one below -- I can't pry the base plate and the blade apart from the top cap without risking a serious cut to my fingers -- so I'm going to experiment and keep using it as long as I can. We shall see... :tongue_sm

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Wardonia design employs the same principles as we've (re)discovered with the devette, and they're very clear that this is a new way of shaving: ["The wide clearance prevents all 'pull'..."]
Along with P.W. Calhoun, Wardonia is also definitely one of the devettes Founding Fathers!

I don't see it. Like the R41, doesn't look like the edge will stand on one's face in the 90 degree range that I consider "steep." The hair gets bent down, and the tension topside helps to break it. (Incidentally, the last effective cutting angle of a dull blade.)

I don't see it. Like the R41, doesn't look like the edge will stand on one's face in the 90 degree range that I consider "steep." The hair gets bent down, and the tension topside helps to break it. (Incidentally, the last effective cutting angle of a dull blade.)
It's true that the Wardonia doesn't like steep angle and the guard does make a contribution to the mechanics, but it's certainly beyond the R41 into the devette end of the spectrum.
I might try moving the same blade from R41 to devette to Wardonia for comparison.

I am new to this forum and trying DE razors for the last couple of weeks. I just got this one from the bay and this looks a bit scary without the comb. I could not see the comb-less base plate in the listing as the seller did not provide any detailed photos. I just thought this is vintage and bid and won. The base plate has the Gillete logo. I don't know whether this is modified or someone removed the combs. Can anyone give some details on how to use this? I truly appreciate the experienced forum members thoughts on this.
$IMG_0018.jpg$IMG_0017.jpg$IMG_0016.jpg$IMG_0015.jpg$IMG_0014.jpg

I am new to this forum and trying DE razors for the last couple of weeks. I just got this one from the bay and this looks a bit scary without the comb. I could not see the comb-less base plate in the listing as the seller did not provide any detailed photos. I just thought this is vintage and bid and won. The base plate has the Gillete logo. I don't know whether this is modified or someone removed the combs. Can anyone give some details on how to use this? I truly appreciate the experienced forum members thoughts on this.
View attachment 576849View attachment 576850View attachment 576851View attachment 576852View attachment 576853
Wow! This must be one of the original 20th Century devettes!
One of the previous owners removed the guards for a superior shave.
Awesome - and don't be scared to shave with it, just mindful.
Absolutely no pressure, very good prep and shallow or steep angle will both work.
And you'll have to rest the razor on its side when you put it down.

Let us know how you get on - it should be fantastic!

Last edited:
I think you could just pinch the safety razor blade between your fingers and glide it down your face and save $50. Or just go from left to right and watch the jugular spray the bathroom mirror with blood. Last chance to write your last will & testament using only your finger!

Pics please or it didn't happen. :thumbup:

Thanks Mjclark! I am planning to shave with this razor tomorrow and post the results. I think I will have to be very very careful with this one.

Venkart, I see the excellent devette here. Some people start with straights or even shavettes and nothing happens. If your hands are steady and you used regular DE for some time without much of blood, you should be ok. I dont think the devette is more dangerous than regular DE razor. (Blasphemy follows) On the contrary, I found it ever safer - I have not got any cuts with devette, except of my fingers and cant say the same for regular DEs.
Please let us know your result, it is really interesting :) Good luck and welcome to forum!

Thanks Gytis! This forum is amazing with lots and lots of information., By going through this thread I am gaining confidence day by day. I plan to shave with this razor tomorrow and post the results. I have to keep hands very steady and have 100% concentration on the task at hand, I should come unscathed ;) When I bid on the bay I was not aware that this is a devette. As a matter of fact I was not even aware of these devettes. This razor looked a bit dirty in pictures and I had cleaned it up with Ketchup, boiling water rinse, Dawn soap, detergent and scrubbing bubbles. Finally rinsed it with 70% isopropyl alcohol to kill any germs (if at all any surviving after these sequence). The outcome was fantastic and you see that in the photos. It definitely look a bit scary with the amount of blade showing outside. I will post my experience tomorrow. Thanks!

Last edited:
What a great find, Venkat! :thumbup: I'm eager to hear how your first shave with this rare razor went.

PS: Whoever removed the combs from the base plate of your razor did an excellent job. The base plate looks to be very nicely finished.

Wow! What an experience. After reading through the forum posts and seeing one you tube video I have rolled up my sleeves to try this great Devette! First I spent more than half an hour contemplating whether to take the plunge or go with the regular Gillette razor. Finally I made up my mind and with great reverence took an Astra blade and loaded the razor. For preparation, as I was really scared, used double the amount of lather for additional safeguard. Started with the side burns (right) very slowly and with zero pressure and approximately 40 degree angle, made couple very small strokes and could feel this devette is giving a very clean shave. I repeated the same for the left side and was very nervous in my chin/neck area. As I took almost 15 minutes for the first pass, there were no cuts or weepers. As a matter of fact I had lot of cuts and bruises when I started with the SAFETY DE. But much to my surprise there was no blood or cuts with this Devette!! Looks like Devette is safer than a DE with guard or comb as mentioned by Gytis! :thumbup1: I could see the shave was really very close in the first pass itself. Then I lathered up for the second pass and did ATG (shivering inside). The result was phenomenal! The skin is absolutely BBS. I have never had this level of close shave in my entire life! Without the forum members encouragement, I never would have even thought of using this Devette. Now I think this is the very best razor I have. I was really lucky to find this in the bay. Thanks MJ and Gytis!

Coming to the Ketchup episode, I used that to clean the razor as the metal was brass and copper. I saw in one of the you tube videos about cleaning the old brass/copper coins by giving the Ketchup treatment. The razor was very blackish green due to tarnished brass and copper. I just kept the razor in a cup with 2 teaspoons of Ketchup and left it for 15 minutes. Then I used some boiling water to sterilize before using scrubbing bubbles and dawn soap. After this the razor looked like new!

I think I can now try the straight razors soon! :001_rolle May be I will get 3 to 4 weeks of experience with Devette before attempting the straight razors!

thanks guys!:001_smile

Last edited:
Congratulations Venkat! Your courage and good technique and prep have been handsomely rewarded :)
It's a new dimension of shaving isn't it?

And your authentic Gillette devette is one of the very nicest ones that has been posted in this thread.

Top Bottom