What's new

No guard DE?

IT WORKS!!
proxy.php

I loaded up a smooth and forgiving Supermax Super Platinum and got the best DE shave I have ever had, instant BBS with absolute zero irritation.

If you are comfortable using a half-blade shavette then you must try this since the shave is the same but more manouverable and requires good DE technique rather than good str8 technique.
Of course zero pressure is the key.

And steep angle works excellently, even better than my experience with R41 and Single Ring.
I thought steep angle worked because the guard stretched the skin, but here there is no guard so I don't understand it but nonetheless IT WORKS!!

The only thing to watch out for is when you put the razor down lay it with the head vertical so as not to rest it on the blade.

I'm excited to hear the Dr's report on the Stainless version - the extra weight might require an adjustment of technique but I suspect it's still excellent.

Honestly this is a magnificent shave and it's going to be well worth experimenting with different weights, different cap geometries and different blade choices.

So Gentlemen, grind off your guards - IT WORKS!!

Last edited:
Thank you for the report. I didn't voice it earlier, but it kinda confirms my anticipation. It will essentially be a shavette on a handle.

I had seen that Yuma when I joined this site (about six months back). Since then the idea of using such a razor has always been at the back of my mind. However, the OP razor is still too expensive for an experiment, so I too am thinking of going your way. Maybe I'll carefully cut up the base plate of my Gillette Sterling and try it out.

If I just find my RiMei somewhere I will do the very same thing. RiMei is cheap enough for this kind of experiments.

EDIT: Is anyone knowing about a good source for the good RiMei? First time I ordered I had luck. Sadly I ordered only one. Then the next time I had bad luck and got bad copies. The answer might interest other wanting to grind off the bar.

Chatting with Marcus and looking at this with a view to making up my own, I got to thinking that the Gillette Tech would be the most cost-effective and easiest razor to mod - the late ones are dirt cheap and quite light, yet retaining good strength.

So, looking at a late Gillette Tech I quickly realised one flaw ... three prong 'Old's and the like are much more suited because whatever plate you put in is centred by the prongs. Then I got thinking, "why a plate?" ... "why not a large washer?" ... and then another design flaw became apparent: potential blade flex at the corners.

... but there is one design of DE razor that does exactly this!

It's designed, prototyped, market tested and market approved ... and simply, a large round ring that curves the blade and holds it in place when the handle is screwed up tight. It also has a MASSIVE blade gap itself and the baseplate is really only there to help form the correct angle.

It's a Wardonia ...

proxy.php

See how the ring is really no different from a single central washer?

Let's tighten 'em up ...

proxy.php

... and so, because we all have a Gillette Tech and we all have a washer kicking around somewhere in the house, may I present the no cost, no comb double edge not-so-safety razor:

proxy.php

More adventurous folks can go for the no top cap neither option:

proxy.php

Last edited:
Pjgh, is that last one is awesome. Probably the only American made razor that could compete with the cost of Chinese made safety razors. Considering how some people could shave with a broken bottle, that razor would probably work great for someone.

In all seriousness to others, you could probably get the guardless effect without wrecking a razor by adding a ton of shims. Just add enough shims to make the guard useless.

Big, metal balls! It did bite him tho' ...

"I think I should talk to the Doctor about increasing medication ... or getting on something ..." :lol:

This fellow is VERY close:

proxy.php

The guard is NOT to protect your face, but to protect the blade edge in case you drop it.

I see a pass around in the future ...
I'm in!

Thank you for the report. I didn't voice it earlier, but it kinda confirms my anticipation. It will essentially be a shavette on a handle.
This fellow is VERY close:
The guard is NOT to protect your face, but to protect the blade edge in case you drop it.
I was thinking that this would be very similar to shaving with a Rolls as well.

More adventurous folks can go for the no top cap neither option:

proxy.php
Yeah, that's the one for real men! :laugh:

BTW, the Rolls Razor is a very nice performer when sharpened and honed correctly. But I doubt a shavette on a stick gets somewhere close to a Rolls Razor - after all I don't like shavettes at all while I find it nice to use a straight now and then.

Last edited:
Well Gentlemen, I think we have to face the facts - a guardless DE shaves as well if not better than a shavette.
I now have the best neck shave I've ever had!

Dunno if there'd be blade flex with a washer (Wardonia blades were thicker eh?) but taking off the guard IS a winner.

I'm going to mod a Rimei baseplate tonight and try this with my R41.

But what do we call this thing?
DE shavette? Guardless DE? Devette?

I will have to admit that I cheated and did my chin and mustache area with my Lord Tech. BUT I did manage to very slowly get my cheeks and neck done with the modified for this test Yuma. I will say, only one major cut, though a few minor nicks, and the resulting shave was actually pretty smooth. Given the amount of time it took me from being nervous and going slow, this MAY be a one off. I will keep my cut base plate though, as this may be a good thing to have if for some reason I am with a few days growth. Cheers all, and good bloody luck to every one else still to try!

$20141221_192024.jpg

$20141122_202838.jpg

Dunno if there'd be blade flex with a washer (Wardonia blades were thicker eh?) but taking off the guard IS a winner.

There is, but no more than the Wardonia with a DE. Tried and tested ... the Wardonia with a DE, by me. I'll try the baseless Gillette Tech in due course.

Top Bottom