What's new

Razorock for Captain's Choice Bay Rum soap DISCONTINUED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Placed an order with West Coast Shaving and was crushed to learn today that this wonderful shaving soap is no longer available.

In a panic I quickly searched Amazon and saw that they also are out of stock and don't know if or when it will be available again. Same thing at Italian Barber.

NOOOOOooooooooooo :angry:

Anyone know the reason why? Am I late to the party on this and just didn't know until today? And lastly, and most importantly, what version of Razorock soap has the same or similar consistency of lather if not the same incredible scent? Thanks for any recommendation. Please talk me in from the ledge, I had grown to love that soap and my container is nearly empty. Color me distraught.

From my experience which is about 7 different rr soaps they all perform equally awesome so just find a scent that sounds appealing to u and go for it ! And btw captainschoicestore.com still has it in stock

Anecdotally, I've heard that Barrister & Mann's bay rum is similar to RR Captain's Choice bay rum in terms of the scent profile. I've only used the B&M version so I can say for sure.

I'm holding out on the Kramperts Arcadian Bayrum soap. Being made by Seifenglatt. Should be released any day now.

Last edited:
I wanted one too. Ordering from Captains Choice has high shipping costs to Canada. I haven't found a Canadian retailer selling B&M yet either, so I haven't tried theirs.

Interesting. I have a small sample that was given to me by another member here. I found it last night and though"smells great but not many people talk about this" Seems I'm too late to the party.

I wonder what went down for a CC to not want to make soaps with IB anymore. The bay rum seemed pretty popular.

Yeah, not sure. I didn't get the feeling that there was any bad blood though. I haven't been back on his twitter feed to see if there were any other comments made either.

I don't have anything to back this up, but I wonder if CC is going to launch their own brand of soap completely separate from IB/RR. Most of those aftershaves would make good soap fragrances, not just the Bay Rum.

Joe said on Twitter that Scott from Captains Choice didn't want to continue.

I wonder what went down for a CC to not want to make soaps with IB anymore. The bay rum seemed pretty popular.

I will set the record straight, so no rumors start.

Scott decided to end the partnership, which was a shock to me because I though it was rather successful; it was actually the best reviewed bay rum shaving soap on Amazon. Scott did explain the reason to me and it makes perfect sense. Apparently, a few of his larger stockists refused to sell the soap because it carried the RazoRock name and they don't want to sell RazoRock products. I won't name names because at least one of them (I believe) is a vendor here.

Scott made a business decision and I respect his decision. Scott is a great guy and I have a lot of respect for him and his business; I will still continue to sell his great aftershaves and I consider him a friend.

The reality is, the RazoRock brand was created for the wet shaving community and our pricing/naming/selling practices rub a lot of traditional stores the wrong way. We are probably not the best brand to partner with because we aren't "traditional" business people and do things more "for fun" than anything else.

So, to be clear, Scott and I are VERY cool with each other and I respect his decision because it he is looking after his business and his customers.

Last edited:
Mods, if this is deemed commercial please move it - no problem. I don't know quite how to comment about the topic raised here without touching on some aspects of business. For the sake of clarity I thought it may help to hear from The Captain. :wink2:

Joe brought this thread to my attention today and I wanted to share what has transpired so there is no misunderstanding. He came to me with the idea for us joining forces to produce a shaving soap and it was worthwhile to do so. I did get consistent feedback from a number of our retailers, however. Essentially it was that I have my own aftershaves and I ought to have my own shaving soap - why on earth have you done a partnership with anyone? In a surprising turn, the partnership between RazoRock and Captain's Choice introduced a level of discomfort between myself and some of my retailers - I would call it low level friction. That was during the first production run of white tubs. When those sold out then we did a second production run with the current black tubs and the friction rose. So it was time to reassess.

My view is if there are some retailers who speak up it is reasonable to think there are others who feel the same way but just haven't said anything - yet. So I decided that despite the rave reviews it needed to sail off into the sunset. Joe has carried our line of aftershaves for some time and will continue to do so, we get along fine. He is been a valuable retailer of ours and will continue to be. We look forward to replacing the RazoRock / Captain's Choice shaving soap soon, very soon with our own bay rum shaving soap. I hope that clears things up a bit from our perspective.

Feel free to contact me directly via our site if I can clarify further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom