What's new

Texas Red Chili Recipe

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
That looks like a very nice Hotel Aaron. Fillet steak and asparagus yum.

This is the finished Bowl of Texas Red. you described the flavour and heat very well.
I ate half my bowl as is to appreciate the flavour and heat as is before reaching for a few drops of FD Deadly to lift the heat factor.
Yip that worked well. very nice meal.

$20141220_183705.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Marvelous bowl of Red. The color is just right too. The texture is very old school. The recipe is spicy but not hot. Perfect for the lady's who want chili but just can take the pain. That why we invest in hot sauces.

Great job Chef Chris.

Be careful though too many bowls of red will make you talk with an accent.

Last edited:
Uncle Kelly's Butterfield Stage line Chili
3 Tbs of Cumin
Pinch of Salt
1/2 teaspoons hot mustard dry powder
1 1/2 Garlic bulbs whole
12oz Hunts tomato sauce
12oz Hunts whole tomatoes
3 Ortega green chilies
10 Pounds of lean Brisket
2 bottles of Gebhart Chili powder 1.75 oz size
2 Wylers Beef Bouillon cubes
1/2 teaspoon Brown sugar
4 White onions chopped.

Chop veggies fine, cut up Brisket, Brown meat and veggies in 4 tablespoons of Wesson oil in a cast iron pot. Don't burn Add in rest of ingredients in to the pot. Simmer in covered pot for 3 hours ,stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon: except for the last 30 minutes .

My Uncle made this for decades in the Early Fall and had a family feed and stored the rest in the freezer using tupper ware freezer containers.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
There was just a little bit left over...........the wife was piggy and had two bowls. That's all good I know it's good when seconds are called for.
Yeah it was better the next day, that's a given with a Chili. :001_smile

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
There was just a little bit left over...........the wife was piggy and had two bowls. That's all good I know it's good when seconds are called for.

Well, tell me(us), is this a good recipe? Is it a meal that will be in your rotation? Or, is it something that will fade into your tastebuds memory, never(rarely) to be made again?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Well, tell me(us), is this a good recipe? Is it a meal that will be in your rotation? Or, is it something that will fade into your tastebuds memory, never(rarely) to be made again?
It will be made again Aaron. Thanks for sharing. I made a bowl of Texas red years ago and that was nice. Not in the same league as this but still good, oh at it was HOT. The biggest difference was the type of chili I used.
As I have said before the availability of chili here is a sorry state of affairs. Now that I have found some nice dried Chili it's time to play.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That's good to know Chris...makes me feel good. Maybe the history behind something like this recipe is what is important. I know some of it is not exactly right, but most of it may capture the heart of a great chili.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
This is a simple chili but that lets the chili sing and not get lost in the mix. I like chili with tomatoes and also with beans.
I don't have any connection to the history but enjoy eating them more knowing about it.
To know where you are going you first must know where you have been.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

It will be made again Aaron. Thanks for sharing. I made a bowl of Texas red years ago and that was nice. Not in the same league as this but still good, oh at it was HOT. The biggest difference was the type of chili I used.
As I have said before the availability of chili here is a sorry state of affairs. Now that I have found some nice dried Chili it's time to play.
It is Texas Red, Aaron- was there really any doubt? :biggrin:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

Pulled the leftover chili out of the freezer and ate it for lunch today. Yep, it's always better after the flavors have had time to talk to each other.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Burg,

Oh, now we're talking. Thanks for posting. The color on that is perfect. Flank steak is a wonderful idea. Heat can be added during cooking. Just throw in a habanero or a jalapeño, I like to put a slit in the side of the pepper with knife. Or, just chop it up and toss it in. I prefer to use hot sauce for the heat.

Top Bottom