What's new

Texas Red Chili Recipe

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
If your weather forecasts are anything like ours it will change before then. I'm sure that they just wing it.

This is my forecast for the day. It will be Chili but with a touch of heat............Otherwise it's fine...........

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
scotch bonnet.........meoooow.
A yellow reaper should sort the men out from the boys

$reaper.png

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I take that back, a jalapeño would make them suffer...especially the guy in the stripped speedo.

Where did you get that nasty looking yellow fellow?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That green stem looks hot too. I'm one of the boys when it comes to eating straight peppers. I just can't handle all the dang hiccuping. Mix it up in a hot sauce(within a taco of course), I'm your man.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I wouldn't touch that bare handed.
I think as long as you don't break the skin or cut into it you should be alright.

That green stem looks hot too. I'm one of the boys when it comes to eating straight peppers. I just can't handle all the dang hiccuping. Mix it up in a hot sauce(within a taco of course), I'm your man.
I'm not a eat it as is sort of guy either. In a hot sauce or a blow out the cobwebs chili is the best use IMO.

Would you guys burn me at the stake for heresy if I tried ground beef in my next batch? After slicing and dicing 2+ pounds of beef, browning it, and then slicing and dicing it again, I understand why it's done, but for the moment, I'm more interested in playing with the various chili varieties than in perfecting my carving skills.

Of course, I've heard that this sort of deviant behavior leads to further abhorrent acts, such as adding tomatoes and beans to the chili. :001_smile

Would you guys burn me at the stake for heresy if I tried ground beef in my next batch? After slicing and dicing 2+ pounds of beef, browning it, and then slicing and dicing it again, I understand why it's done, but for the moment, I'm more interested in playing with the various chili varieties than in perfecting my carving skills.

Of course, I've heard that this sort of deviant behavior leads to further abhorrent acts, such as adding tomatoes and beans to the chili. :001_smile

It is a fine line you would be walking. We would have to have an intervention if a tomato made its way even close. For experimentation you should be ok with the ground beef as long as you keep it lean!!! [emoji2]

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I can't speak for the Texas Boys. They have too many rules for what makes a Chili IMO.

I think no beans and no tomatoes is enough rules to make it a Texas Red and the rest should be played with to make your own.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Beef and fresh Chili- I think you meet the requirements. Ground venison and pork should be allowed too.

My last batch was 1 lb. of steak, 1 lb. of 85/15 hamburger and approximately 5 oz. of pork sausage. I much prefer having the hamburger in the chili rather than just the cubed beef. The hamburger provides the chili with a much more interesting texture and mouth feel. It provides a more yielding bite down in contrast to the cubed beef which provides a more resistant bite down. I also like the look of it much better. It looks like a much more cohesive dish rather than just a bunch of beef chunks floating around in a chili sauce. The hamburger fills in the gaps so to speak and provides a fuller meat experience without taking away from the cubed beef. I'd say go for it. It's just a different form of beef.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I made a batch(and posted pictures back a bunch of pages) with ground sirloin. The mistake I made was not simmering the chili long enough to break it down properly. It still turned out great, it just needed a little more time. For me I needed something more to chew on.

Another idea in the same way as mikelz777 mentioned above is to split your meat into two equal weights(both browned of course). 1 pound will be made the way it's posted in the recipe of "small cubes." The other pound can be broken down further with a quick spin in the food processor.

I also read another Texas Red Chili recipe the other day where two pounds of meat are cut into 8 large pieces. Those are then browned like in the recipe. Onions cooked the same way as with the chili sauce prep., etc. All is thrown into a crock pot or Dutch oven for "braising." After the allotted cook time, shred the meat with a fork and place back into pot. It makes for a different texture.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

KW our market makes a "chili grind" of ground beef. It's a courser grind and might be something down your alley. Ask your butcher.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'm getting a little nervous. The weather calls for 50% chance of rain for the chili cook-off competition. I just want to go have a little fun, that's all. I've done my shopping and the supplies are stocked. Pray for me and for fair weather. I guess I'm blessed in that there's not 3 feet of snow coming.

Yeah, and a high in the mid 50s, with winds about 15mph on Sat. Looks better for Sun. with 72 of a high...from what I've seen. Looks like the rain is going to continue into Mon. and Tue. also.

But, that's what makes it a competition. The EZ up should take care of the rain, with wind shields (tarps) on the sides for the blowing stuff...just make sure you have plenty of propane for the burner. You are using a propane burner aren't you? With wind shields on the sides of the burner as needed? Aluminum flashing should make for an improvised wind shield for the burner as needed.

You should be just fine...everyone else is going to have to work in those conditions. I'll be praying for ya.

Pics. or it didn't happen...video would be better. :wink2:

Would you guys burn me at the stake for heresy if I tried ground beef in my next batch?

Let me check...I'll have to go into conference with the chili board. Be right back.

O.K., the consensus is that it will be fine...ground beef is just a roast that has been chopped finer and ran through a course type of sieve. :biggrin1:

Look for the course ground hamburger meat...SWMBO gets that at Wally World for her chili. It's good.

Top Bottom