What's new

Fungal infection from Crystal Stick?

I had puchased a Crystal Stick (natural mineral salts, ammonium alum) and used it after shaving. I found that I like witch hazel better. I stopped using it but decided to try it as a deodorant after my regular antiperspirant ran out. All went well for a week or two. I ran water over the stick before application and after. Last week I noticed that I developed a rash under one pit and then the other.

I don't perspire heavily, don't have moist skin folds in the arm pit area, and don't eat a sugary high carbohydrate diet which all can contribute to a friendly environment for a fungal infection. I have not had a fungal infection in 50 years dating back to my teen years on the swim team. I shower once a day and twice a day in the summer.

I had the annual physical yesterday and the doctor diagnosed it as a fungal infection. Hopefully the anti-fungal will clear it up. I have some tea tree oil and zinc oxide paste in reserve.

Any one else have a fungal outbreak using alum stones as a deodorant?

Last year I got a terrible fungal infection in one arm pit that spread like crazy. Now while I thought it was my then new Crystal deo stick my local dermotologist said it was more likely to be some thing from the AC on the works vehicles. And this was proven by taking swabs and having a lab testing them. A few weeks with anti fungal creams and antibiotics and it went. I did have to stay off all prefumes, soaps etc. Got into olive oil soaps and oat meal baths. Even now I carefully rise the deo stick befor use and during application between arm pits. As for the AC on works vehicles, management had to get them all cleaned and re-gased.

That is an interesting possibility. Never gave that a thought. I changed long overdue cabin filters in my car last summer. They probably had not been changed in 5 years and were long overdue. I did not have a fungal problem this summer when using an antiperspirant. I will look into cleaning out the AC duct work as it can't hurt and I use the AC to clear the windshield in the winter.

I also noticed that I am not as dry using an alum stick, being just a deodorant and not an antiperspirant. Any skin fungus given a damp dark environment will have a foothold to multiply out of balance.

Any skin fungus given a damp dark environment will have a foothold to multiply out of balance.

And then some.

Try the oatmeal baths. If nothing else it really calms the skin and itch.

Was the Doctor a dermatologist ? Did the Doctor actually take a skin sample and analyze it ? Sometimes you can use deodorant for years,switch to anti-perspirant and get rash,even vice versa.Same is true with non anti bacterial bath soaps and plain bath soaps,and vice versa for these as well...

Please contact a dermatologist.
Very good advice.

...I had the annual physical yesterday and the doctor diagnosed it as a fungal infection...
Was this diagnosis backed/confirmed by a lab result?

I had puchased a Crystal Stick (natural mineral salts, ammonium alum)...
I used the same stick (ammonium alum indeed) as a deodorant and I had a rash for two weeks. It cleared itself without any other complications.

I use potassium alum as a deodorant every day without problems. If I were you I would always listen to the doctors, rather than a complete stranger posting on a forum.

Appreciate the advice. The diagnosis was not done by a lab. I am using a prescription anti-fungal and will monitor for changes. If I see a worsening of symptoms I will follow up with a dermatologist. I will say that after 5 days of using the anti-fungal the rash appears to be half the size and much less angry.

Top Bottom