What's new

New to this Forum- Any cast iron fans

found a few pics from a past Boy Scout camp out.
A country man breakfast
$20141216_193048.jpg
and this isn't cast iron but was still good
Shish Kabobs
$shish kabob.jpg

You will find lots here, nothing I hated worse than having a "non stick" pan start flaking while in the middle of cooking! Never again, cast iron forever, literally!

Love it, the original non stick when properly cared for. My wife says she does not like it because it's too heavy, so keep most of it in a big locked cabinet outside. I have a 5 gal round bottom pot with feet that's outside on my burner right now, full of freshlymade chili most of which we will freeze for later. I like it for making chili, soups and gumbo . Occasionally one of the Dutch ovens gets put into use for baked beans on the Big Green Egg.

pancake's on lodge iron and tomato venison in an old no name skillet;

Attachments

• $IMG_0929.jpg
    $IMG_0929.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 79
  • $IMG_0930.jpg
    $IMG_0930.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 78
  • $IMG_0931.jpg
    $IMG_0931.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 78
I used my Lodge twice yesterday for Christmas brunch. had the pancakes going in there and then again for dinner for braised short rub. I love it

Hello pclise. Welcome here to B&B. There are quite a few cast iron cookers here. I am a Scouter, also. Scoutmaster and 30 year volunteer. I love Dutch oven cooking and our troop has done everythng from the basic stews to baked ziti. Great eating!!

I enjoy cooking with cast iron and I'm also Asst. Scoutmaster for a Boy Scout Troop. Dutch oven cooking is one of our favorites.

Last (and first) time I cooked tomatoes in one of my cast iron pans (the Lodge one) I ended up with a ruined/stripped seasoning. Never again.

If you consider cooking tomatoes or other acidic foods, be aware...

I've owned and cooked in cast iron for 40 years or so. All my stuff is vintage, from the 12" skillet that migrated west with my grandmother when she moved to California in the 1930s to the 10" she gave me as a moving away gift in 1971. I've added a Lodge Sportsman's Grill and an assortment of other griddles and pans through the years, but my current stove is a glass top and I've made a decision not to cook with cast iron on it. I do miss using the cookware, but I love my stove. Of course the cookware will outlive the stove and anyone I know as well.:001_rolle

Welcome to the Mess Hall Pclise!! I'm a former scout who first used cast iron for frying up donuts on campouts in Alabama!

Welcome to the Mess Hall Pclise!! I'm a former scout who first used cast iron for frying up donuts on campouts in Alabama!
Were those donuts made from canned biscuits? If they were made some other way, I would like to learn how y'all did it.

Also for spring camporee (it never too early to start planning) we have a homemade ice cream competition coming up. Any recipes are welcomed.

Top Bottom