What's new

The Gentleman's Cane

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Was it a weapon? A fashion accessory?
What ever happened to the gentleman's cane?

Anyone have one and use it as an accessory rather than a necessity?

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418360426.051179.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418360438.823382.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418360446.530086.jpg

I have one I bought when I had a need due to injury, but it just sits in the corner awaiting my dotage.

I say bring back the cane.

Last edited:
I think it just went the way of the boutonniere, hats, spats, gloves, etc. Fashion accessories that are deemed excess these days, I feel.

strop

Now half as wise
Pretty sure the photo with the 4 gentlemen is on a golf course, those are golf clubs!

That said, the pictures otherwise show gentlemen of an age when arthritis would have started to appear. I suspect that in the days prior to Ibuprofen, Tylenol, etc, that canes were much more of a necessity.

If I ever need a cane, it will not be aluminum and adjustable!

I have a collection of walking sticks that are moderately interesting. I made myself a cane after buying an antique brass handle (looks like an Eagle's head). Not quite a full time requirement, but every once in a blue moon I will take it with me on an outing.

Last edited:
I have several ones but I need to use them now days. But I carried one at times off and on since I was in my 20's. I have straight and curved handled ones.

Upon graduation my college gives a diploma and a walking stick to each student. I'm not sure I've ever made good use of either.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Perhaps these are better photos.

a weapon?
$image.jpg

Fashion accessory?
$image.jpg

Dancing aid?
$image.jpg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
if you saw a well dressed man walking, unhindered by health, with a cane what would you think?
"what's up with this guy?"
or
"what a classy gentleman"

if you saw a well dressed man walking, unhindered by health, with a cane what would you think?
"what's up with this guy?"
or
"what a classy gentleman"
If I saw a young man, who looked in the top of health using a cane, I'd think he was a douchebag. Whatever practical (or impractical) reasons healthy people used them in the Victorian era just don't exist anymore. Mostly being that we just don't walk as much anymore. I actually will use 2 lightweight aluminum hiking poles when I'm on long (week long or more) backpacking trips. I thought they looked silly until I used them. Having 2 poles in hand makes navigating sometimes tricky backwood trails easier with a 30 pound pack on your back.

Top Bottom