What's new

2014 Badger & Blade Awards - Straight Razors Under $500

I believe I read somewhere, not sure where probably a knife forum, that Tim does make his own damascus. I'm not sure about Nate though. But I'm sure growing up with his father making razors that he was put to work forging billets more than once.

The heat treat would be the least of my concerns unless they are using a forge. Once you have the recipe for heat treating a certain steel in a oven, all you have to do is set the temp and hit start, let it soak and quench it. Should be the same result every time. This being said I have never heat treated a forged blade, I only have experience in stock removal or bar steel and ready made damascus.

The grind and overall fit and finish is what I would be more concerned about.

Everyone I have heard of that has one of his razors seems to be very happy with it. And a damascus razor at this price point is hard to beat by any of the well known makers.

I would love for there to be a poll or voting next time but not everyone has or will get to use the razors in the voting. So I don't see how this would really be feasible because we would pretty much just be going by pictures.

I would assume it would be people voting for products they had experience with. I don't expect people who don't own any custom razors would vote for the custom razor they think looks best. Most likely they'd abstain. Yes, this would favor products that have a larger number of customers, but that's not a bad thing. If 100 people have a product and like it, that's worth knowing. Is it more valuable than if one person with a lot of experience has a product and likes it? In some cases it is, but people have to decide that for themselves. Recall amazon reviews. If there's a product with single digit reviews and a five star rating, you're not going to assume it definitely deserves that rating, but it will get you to look into it. If there's one with four digits of reviews and a four star rating, that's also a product worth looking at.

I have no problem with the owner of the B&B name putting that name on any award, as long as he provided the basis for the award. Joel has done this. As a newbie, I did not even know who Joel was until this thread. He is not the reason that I am here. I am here as I have a fascination with steel cutting tools, and enjoy trying to understand some of the mysteries in steel that make one alloy or type superior to others for particular applications, shaving being one of those. Steel has been around since biblical times, so one would think that everything there is to know about steel is known, but this simply is not the case. The ingredients and the processes that made the old Damascus so sought after have been lost to us since about 1700, and material science has not been able to replicate this steel yet. We know that this steel had carbon nanotubes and cementite nanowires which we learned in about 2006, but how this medieval product was made remains a mystery.

Human hands forging, heat treating, grinding and honing steel into useful tools that last a lifetime is what fascinates me. One thing I do agree with that Joel said is about "Shave Ready." The reason that the NOS razors Joel cites are superior with respect to this aspect is that a skilled human hand made it that way prior to boxing it up. Manufacturers no longer make this investment into their blades probably because it is not cost effective to make them this way. Nate made a business of this skill that has evolved into making razors. And that is a good story. Congratulations Nate!

Last edited:
Google cedric christ. He's a preacher. Vaguely remember some preacher being in the news for conspiracy theory that Starbucks puts extra "protein" in their drinks, assume reference to this. Sad that I didn't realize it. Look deeper. Find Cédric Christ. Ah, that makes more sense. Probably easier to find him by googling "Ali's razors".

Google cedric christ. He's a preacher. Vaguely remember some preacher being in the news for conspiracy theory that Starbucks puts extra "protein" in their drinks, assume reference to this. Sad that I didn't realize it. Look deeper. Find Cédric Christ. Ah, that makes more sense. Probably easier to find him by googling "Ali's razors".

Then, look at his Gallery at his website. Then go to FB, click 'Like' on Ali's Blade FB page and in no time you're going to admire what this guy can do.

I haven't heard of Nate's Straights until now. Beautiful work. I love the 5/8 design. You don't see that very much with most custom makers.

I must have one.

I would assume it would be people voting for products they had experience with. I don't expect people who don't own any custom razors would vote for the custom razor they think looks best. Most likely they'd abstain.

I have to disagree. I think most voters would not have the opportunity to try and compare all the products in a given category and if a product they liked and had spent money on was up for a vote, many would vote to see their choice affirmed by the award they voted for. As in your examples, how many amazon reviews (or anywhere else for that matter) are written with either an admitted or apparent complete lack of experience of the product other than looking at pictures online.
Frankly, despite thinking that awards like this are unnecessary at best and fraught with the potential for the appearance of favoritism at worst, although that does not appear to be the case with the b&b awards, I think they can be a good way to learn about products I might otherwise have overlooked. I would rather see "best new" awards, even if the product is not truly newly available but rather newly brought to the attention of b&b, decided by a small panel of people who get to evaluate all the possible candidates. Of course, nominations could, and maybe should, be open to the general membership of b&b, or at least to contributors, so we lessen the risk of good products falling through the cracks. The ability to nominate a product could motivate a "true believer" to become a contributor, further supporting b&b and helping b&b obtain the products for review at the same time.

Anyway, congratulations to the winners.

I have to disagree. I think most voters would not have the opportunity to try and compare all the products in a given category and if a product they liked and had spent money on was up for a vote, many would vote to see their choice affirmed by the award they voted for.

Exactly. It was suggested that people would vote for products they hadn't used but thought looked the best. I was saying I doubt that would be a problem. If you read further in my post you'll see that I actually bring up that widely distributed products would receive more votes and explain that this is not a problem. Likewise, I'm sure the judges of these awards didn't try every shave soap and strop and <$150 shave brush and <$500 razor in existence (they might have tried every >$500 maker... though probably not). Expecting that from any trial is unreasonable. And having a thousand voices who have tried an average of three brushes each offers a different and valuable perspective when compared to having three voices who may have tried a thousand brushes each.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iAzLHzkFHvM#t=590

Last edited:
I hear you.

But it strikes me as somewhat like the inmates running the asulum:

+1!! Agree!!

$ROFL-polar-bear-1.gif

I have a Nate's Straight. Very nice razor and easily worth the premium you pay over a Hart, Grim etc.

I would have been nice if B&B would have done more categories on straights.

Best Production straight under $200 and over $200...This would include all your big manufacturers

Interesting discussion for sure. I don't have a problem with that razor being picked. I've never tried a Zowada or a Nate but have read lots and spoken with people who have them. At this price point there's a lot to choose from, this one happens to be the one that was chosen for the award.

I'm with Ian on this one. What he's saying is absolutely the most important part of this whole debate: the tolerences, precision and quality of material/smithing. Everyone is KIDDING themselves if they think they'll only ever have ONE edge on a razor.....

Also, we here at B and B are perfect, when we makes mistakes, we make sure we do it perfectly wrong.

I will side with the idea that if it's advertised as "Shave ready" then it should be... Problem with that is everyone likes different edges. There is enough talk about coticules here to have a sub-forum on JUST them but I don't enjoy a coticule edge AT ALL. Does that mean if a custom maker hones on a coticule it's shave ready or not? Depends on who is holding the razor.

Voiding a warranty for honing? Insane.

Nate offering free honing for life as long as it's the original user? AMAZING.

How do we compare a single maker to a production facility? Let's look into this a little.

What is being made by each: A razor.

Well that's all I need to hear.

Now, will I be spending that much on one? Nah. Not until custom makers start grinding razors like vintage Fillies will I be buying one. If money was of no issue, I'd get Cedric Christ to make me a 7 day set as his razors, IMHO, are the nicest ground blades on the market from a custom maker. I believe, again IMO, that his recent products where he is paying tribute to some classics, are the nicest looking, simplest, most beautifully made razors out there. I do like that about nates razor, it has very clean, well thought out lines with purpose. No fancy swoops or cutouts or insane filework (there's a time and place for that but not in my shave den and that's OK!).

Perhaps next year there can be some kind of voting process where there are 3 razors picked and we all get to vote on them. I think that'd give a better representation of what the B&B community is thinking. To say this is the best razor from B&B isn't necessarily true as none of the forum members (maybe a few mods?) were involved in it. SO it really should say "Forum Owners Award" or at least stipulate that it doesn't reflect the thoughts of the forum/community.

There is a lot to like in this post, as far as this member is concerned. Perhaps next year a Gold Silver and Bronze system could be instituted, so as to see what other makers were close to the summit. I think member voting is not such a great idea.

Joel IS B&B.

It's his site that we are members of.

If he chooses to give out an award in the name of B&B, that's his business, and his right to do so.

I agree 100%. I have seen the "Award" banners on the site and wondered how the winners were determined . . . and now I know. So long as the PROCESS is known, how much credence to give the awards is up to the individual.

Now I remember why I still stay out of the straight forums. Good grief.

As mentioned before, this is Joel's house, we're just guests in it.

Yup. That said, debate is healthy . . .

I totally agree with you. I also think that voicing opinions, which is what most of us have been doing and respectfully so, is necessary. A company is nothing without it's board members (mods) and without their workers and customers (the members) they are the head of... well nothing. That's why I really like the concept of "Editors Choice" and have voiced my recommendations for future awards and perhaps getting the community to vote. Whether or not that is heard/used with decision making is up to the owner, Joel, and i'm ok with whatever decision he makes as it's not him that keeps me coming back, it's the community BUT i thank him for giving us such a great place to convene.

I think this is a workable compromise.

I have no problem with the owner of the B&B name putting that name on any award, as long as he provided the basis for the award. Joel has done this. As a newbie, I did not even know who Joel was until this thread. He is not the reason that I am here. I am here as I have a fascination with steel cutting tools, and enjoy trying to understand some of the mysteries in steel that make one alloy or type superior to others for particular applications, shaving being one of those. Steel has been around since biblical times, so one would think that everything there is to know about steel is known, but this simply is not the case. The ingredients and the processes that made the old Damascus so sought after have been lost to us since about 1700, and material science has not been able to replicate this steel yet. We know that this steel had carbon nanotubes and cementite nanowires which we learned in about 2006, but how this medieval product was made remains a mystery.

Human hands forging, heat treating, grinding and honing steel into useful tools that last a lifetime is what fascinates me. One thing I do agree with that Joel said is about "Shave Ready." The reason that the NOS razors Joel cites are superior with respect to this aspect is that a skilled human hand made it that way prior to boxing it up. Manufacturers no longer make this investment into their blades probably because it is not cost effective to make them this way. Nate made a business of this skill that has evolved into making razors. And that is a good story. Congratulations Nate!

I second this post.

I personally think the post awarding the prize to Nate was somewhat enthusiastic, but I have no doubt that MY post detailing my first experience with my inbound Ralf Aust will be equally effusive. So what? I was very pleased to find out that, for a few dollars more than I am paying for my "production" straight, I will be able to purchase a "hand-made" blade. now to find out that for double THAT price I can acquire something like what is displayed in this thread? AWESOME. This is why I keep coming back to B&B, because there is ALWAYS something new and interesting to discover about my newest hobby.

Top Bottom