What's new

Favourite outdoors area/spot.where you live and/or in another country. Why?

Eagle River, Alaska. As a kid I used to go out there for hours and hours to get away and ponder life. There are prettier places I've been, but I miss the solitude there.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1417983635943.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1417983635943.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 107
My home, the San Joaquin River delta. Over 1000 miles of waterways, I've been exploring it for over 20 years and still find something new every time. Never lived more than just a few blocks from a river, even now in midtown.

proxy.php

Guardians by T. Spidey, on Flickr

I have a love/hate relationship with the Finnish Lapland. It's hard, unforgiving and very rocky. But it does offer some of the best views in the world, it's relatively dry and easy to traverse even without footpaths.

Why I hate it? It's not the ideal mountain biking terrain. It's actually very bad for it and I haven't had the money yet to get a fatbike which could handle the rocky trails.

Why I love it? In the winter it's just amazing. Almost eerie with the aurora borealis, trees completely white and slender with the weight of snow, pitch black skies but still pretty light due to the white snow everywhere. In the summer it's the views. It doesn't have high mountains but it doesnt have to when you can see for miles and miles.

I always liked the wintery lapland since I would go on skiing trips with my family. But I fell in love with the summer Lapland on a military training exercise a few years back (six years... has it been that long...). We shot cannons for two weeks, didn't sleep much and had to overcome some seriously fun stuff to not 1) break our cannon 2) get the cannon stuck 3)get ourselves killed on the bad roads.
The weather has a bad habit of changing rapidly so this one time we had blue skies, sunshine and all that. Everything was going well enough that I could take a nap and let my crew do the shooting. Cue the order to move and I saw the first small black cloud. It came out of nowhere and in 15 minutes it went from clear skies to pouring rain so intense we drove down the mountain in a river which used to be a road.

Good times.

Where I live currently in New York city, central park on a beautiful summer day is a great place to lay back, relax, and read a great book, or have picnics with my children.

In my "hometown in New Market, England" I say Home town lightly as its where I resided for years before I came to USA but I was not born there. My favorite spot there is out on the Hill near the main stables. (its the home of horse racing)

Back in my place of birth "Bulacan, Philippines" My favorite place to go is Boracay. A white sand beach chain of islands.

Here.

Saugatuck, MI. Been vacationing there since I was one month old. It's relaxing with fresh Lake Michigan air, beautiful beaches, good boating, good food and nice people.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1418308571525.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1418308571525.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
So far, Dartmoor. It was a beautiful few days of hiking, a pub every time you needed it, and some incredible vistas.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1418311090730.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1418311090730.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 82
Rattlesnake Point in Halton Hills. It is part of the Niagara Escarpment here in Ontario, just west of Toronto and south of Hwy 401. It is a natural area that is about a 20 minute drive from my home. As a kid, my parents used to take us there for outings. I would rock climb the cliffs much to my parents consternation. I like it so much because there is a family picture of the 4 year old me standing on the top of a rock wall at one of the overlooks, with my Dad extending his arm so that he can grab me quickly if I start to go over the edge. I am reaching up towards the branch of a tree nearby. Many years later, I took a picture of MY 4 year old daughter at the same overlook in the same pose, and presented it to my Dad for his birthday.

There are a ton of places that I like to travel to. Its hard to pick just one as a favorite. One the places I've enjoyed the most is/was western ND. It wasn't extremely popular and there are very beautify places to see. Unfortunately, the oil boom has changed it for the worse.

I like to hang out Downtown near the 24 Second Shot Clock Monument in Armory Square. I drink espresso, smoke a cigar or pipe, and pretend to solve the world's problems with my buddies as we watch the girls pass by.

$Syracuse_Shot_Clock_Monument.jpg

I don't know if I can pick just one. There are so many awe inspiring places.

For today, it's Baldy Mountain on the Philmont BSA Ranch in northeastern New Mexico. 12,441' and gorgeous views.

$IMG_5971.jpg

$IMG_5973.jpg

My home, the San Joaquin River delta. Over 1000 miles of waterways, I've been exploring it for over 20 years and still find something new every time. Never lived more than just a few blocks from a river, even now in midtown.

I too was born and raised in Stockton. Took 37 years to get the F out of there and for the last 20 have called Idaho home.

That said, I do miss striped bass fishing but I wall take Trout, Steelhead and Salmon over living in a crime ridden arm-pit. No offense but after too many home invasions while at work and suffering so many home burglaries that I can't even count them, they can burn that dump to the ground I would care less!

Nope. Height of the Rockies, In BC - barely.

That third picture down the big mountain is the back side of Joffre - so the top of that is Alberta and the other side is Kananaskis

Top Bottom