What's new

Fake Dorco blades?

Just sitting here contemplating that someone is making counterfeit Dorco blades....

Still thinking.....
Thinking.....

With all the fine blade brands out there, why in God's name would anyone want to make fake Dorcos!!!! Anyone have any idea??

Kind of like counterfeiting $1 bills.

I'm not convinced they're fakes. To me, the "fakes" just look old. Different packaging, faded ink, rusted metal: it all adds up in my mind to an older iteration of the same product.

I'm not convinced they're fakes. To me, the "fakes" just look old. Different packaging, faded ink, rusted metal: it all adds up in my mind to an older iteration of the same product.

Well, that's definitely a possibility. I didn't think about that.

If it is an old version of the same product, let me tell you, "vintage" Dorco blades are not good at all. :p

The thing that makes me think that they could be fakes is the bit of a space between the DOR CO. The non-rusty ones don't have that.

Doesn't make sense. If I were to counterfeit blades I would look to those with a high demand and "slowly" introduce fakes. It wouldn't take much to produce vast amount of profit from small, but, multiple streams of fakes. Why produce a bad batch from a single stream of blades that may not have a huge market share in the DE world? There's no profit in that. Multiple low yield counterfeits among many high demand streams is how you make the money because you foster the "illusion" of, "Oh, I must have got a bad batch." syndrome. If one person of a hundred drops from buying your product, there really is no loss. Why? Because your good reputation amongst the many has the strong possibility of refreshing the market with newcomers.

Here is some pictures of fake Dorcos showing up in Manila

See link below

http://www.wetshavemanila.com/2013/07/beware-fake-dorco-razor-blades-in-metro.html?m=1

That's odd. The blades that I think are fake have the round serrations on the back of the pack and the real ones the straight line.

Top ones are the rusty blades.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417098851.138149.jpg

Last edited:
I just opened a box of Dorco ST-300 blades that came in a blade sampler from WCS. The box is labeled properly, and the blades have a double wrap. The outer wrap has a design like the box exterior (blue with picture of blade) on one side and white on the other that says made in Vietnam under license from Dorco. The inner wrapper is the wax paper with Korean writing like in the original post. I guess I'll find out tomorrow how they are.

Last edited:
Vietnam has quite high import taxes which is to encourage local manufacturing. I don't know the details, but there is also a balance on being packaged and/or assembled locally being classed as local.

Its why there are still not so many cars there, but so many scooters, even Vespa set up an assembly plant, and those models are a lot cheaper.

I can't check much from my pack of 300's, it was wrapped in sticky tape, which meant most of the labeling came with it.

First shave was nice. Not much different from Derby in either sharpness or smoothness. If you put a blade in my razor and handed it to me I probably could not tell them apart. The variability between blades of the same manufacturer is probably more than between the two manufacturers. This is only based on one shave from one blade with Dorco, and 17 shaves with 5 blades from Derby. Time will tell.

That's odd. The blades that I think are fake have the round serrations on the back of the pack and the real ones the straight line.

Top ones are the rusty blades.
View attachment 523634

My local Sally's is selling these single boxes of Dorco 10-packs. The box on the bottom with the straight line is the real one. I would think the circular perforation on a box that small containing blades would be a little big dangerous.

After I originally posted this response I checked out the link the prior poster provided. It said the box with the circular perforation was the real one. That made me concerned Sally's might be selling counterfeits at $1.89 a box. The one with the straight line was the ones I saw. I didn't buy them because I wanted the Derby's or Personnas as my first blade. The only reason I'm wondering if I was incorrect in which was fake and which was real is because Sally's website doesn't even list the Dorco's on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom