What's new

Your favorite underpriced soap

EU Palmolive sticks when they were a steal at about a buck.
Also the Figaro crema di barba that cost a whopping 1.10euro at the stores in Italy (same producer as the Razorock
classic line and in the same 5oz tub)

Another vote for Monsavon. I picked up a tub when I was in France last month and loved it, especially at less than 2 euro. I also bought some Palmolive sticks for similar price but haven't tried them yet.

Also the Figaro crema di barba that cost a whopping 1.10euro at the stores in Italy (same producer as the Razorock
classic line and in the same 5oz tub)

OK, that would be a pretty screaming deal! I'd say that one even beats the arko/williams over all.

Even if it does, you'll still want to use it because of the lather. If the smell absolutely offends you, leave it unwrapped in your garage for a month, presto-chango, the smell is gone.

One thing I learned is that grating Arko makes it loose its wonderful aroma quickly.

In hindsight it isn't necessary to grate a stick of Arko to get it into a push-up container, but not realizing quite how soft it is the first time I grated a stick to reform it. Once I had about a 200-fold increase in surface area - while it was sitting in the Tupperware waiting for me - the aroma dissipated very rapidly.

If you really can't abide by it just grate a stick and leave that in your garage overnight. No need to wait a month.

Last edited:
I think most, who like Arko, find that it's a veritable steal at it's current price though, I wonder, if it's price were double if I'd have picked it up in the first place (considering all the comments on scent).

Or, perhaps, due to it's price and ready availability via Amazon is driving people to become MORE vocal both positive and negative.

Latoja stick, Stirling, and Razorock. All great performers at low prices.
I'd also add Pre de Provence. Top notch soap that has to be one of the cheapest 'per use' soaps. Almost seems like the soap regenerates itself

OK, that would be a pretty screaming deal! I'd say that one even beats the arko/williams over all.
Yeah I wish I had bought more, I figured I didn't need more than one of them but in retrospect I should have brought a few back to send out as pif's

Arko for me, too. A wonderful performer that never disappoints and is perfect for travel either in stick form or in the tub.

Cella 1kg brick. Very good slickness, very stable lather, smells nice and one of the most gentle soaps I've tried. Doesn't take much product to produce lather(unlike Stirling). I can't say Arko because it irritates my skin a bit.

Palmolive EU Stick.
As a long time user of the Australian stick, this one leaves it for dead. Just love the lather it develops!

Palmolive Shaving Stick - better than Arko to my mind. Arko can leave my face feeling tight. Palmolive leaves it feeling soft and smooth. Brilliant lather perhaps a bit better than Arko very cheap and lasts well. You can pick it up on ebay at a good price it's worth you while doing price comparisons as sometimes "free" shipping bumps the price of the product up substantially. If you're visiting the UK you can pick it up dirt cheap on the high street. Try supermarkets and the boots chain of pharmacies.

The Spanish La Toja shaving stick is next up it's very reasonably priced but not as cheap as Palmolive. It's well worth your while clicking around on ebay to compare prices. This the one I use daily . Superb lather nice fresh somewhat woodsy/piney scent - that stays with you for a while. Same scent as their excellent aftershave and soaps so you can co-ordinate.

Last edited:
Erasmic bowl soap. Very good performing soap and doesn't smell like a toilet. I'd happily pay twice its asking price in the U.K.

Top Bottom