What's new

Thater 4125

I have to start off first by giving huge credit to Straightrazordesigns.com as I ordered this brush Monday the 17th, and the brush arrived here today, the 19th. It was actually shipped free 2 day priority. Ive never heard of anyone doing this before, and so I must give them a huge thumbs up. Im still new to brushes, but thought I would try and give some first impressions of this brush. This is a Thater 4125-0 22mm, and is the first good quality brush Ive owned, im just amazed at the feeling of this brush against my face. At first the brush felt a little stiff, and I didnt know what to expect. After a couple test lathers of MWF and some Nivea, I then built up another lather of Nivea and went to town. It was actually a bit harder to get the right consistency that Ive been getting with my other brushes, as this brush is much softer and I needed to adjust the water content along with a bit more time to develop the lather. Soon as this brush touched my face my eyes lit up and it just felt great. No scritch, no pokes, no nothing. Holds water well and this brush seems really dense and it almost felt like not much of a splay when lathering, and maybe more of a tennis ball rolling across your cheeks or a rubbing feel to it, though it did cover a big portion of my cheeks and face. It had no problem putting a nice coating of lather on, I really took my time and applied it all over to really experience this brushes characteristics. Im really liking this brush so far and it is definitely packed full of plush silvertip badger. I lost about 4-5 hairs just washing it before the first test lather, but after that no more came out. Brush dried very quick, after getting most of the water out by wiping it on a towel, it feels almost completely dry 3 hours later. All in all, this is a really great high end brush, and Id say for anyone looking for an incredibly soft and dense brush, this is it. For its size of 22mm, it does a fine job and I really wouldnt need any more in a brush. Wanted to add that right out of the box the funk was very mild on this brush, and with just a couple lathers through it, its faded so much its nearly gone. the before and after pics.

$CIMG4871.jpg$CIMG4872.jpg$CIMG4880.jpg$CIMG4879.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats! I'm in the same boat as you. I love my Thater brushes! After having tried quite a few high end brushes Thater is my top choice.

Thater was my first high quality brush too but i went for the 24 mm 2 band. I don't have much to compare it too but it was a real step up from my Escali.

Congrats!

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Woo! 3 Band Thater for the WIN! :)

I love my 4125/2, suuuuper soft! I also have a couple more brushes coming to try to compare it to, but I doubt they'll hold a candle to it. It's all in the name of the hunt, though.

Enjoy the brush! It will take a bit of time to get used to lathering with it but it actually does a great job. You should try using it with some Speick stick and face lathering with it. One of the best shaves I've had in a long time was with that combo.

i tried reading as many reviews on brushes as possible before buying, so i thought i would try and make a review of this brush, im hoping some people may find it helpful. always wanted to try speick, and i think ill throw it in with my next purchase. should also have a classic 1 later this week(wasnt shipped 2 day like this one) so maybe ill give another little review on it. ive been de shaving now for over a year and a half but never got into brushes that much, now all the sudden i want every brush i see. didnt really understand why anyone needed more than one brush, i just figured they all did the same thing, but now i get it. love this thater, but still want to try quite a few more, but dont we all :001_smile

If you could only have one thater would be my choice. Have a 4125/1 in 2 band...just amazingly soft and gel like....it might feel coarse when dried out but hold it under water and it really delivers.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
i tried reading as many reviews on brushes as possible before buying, so i thought i would try and make a review of this brush, im hoping some people may find it helpful. always wanted to try speick, and i think ill throw it in with my next purchase. should also have a classic 1 later this week(wasnt shipped 2 day like this one) so maybe ill give another little review on it. ive been de shaving now for over a year and a half but never got into brushes that much, now all the sudden i want every brush i see. didnt really understand why anyone needed more than one brush, i just figured they all did the same thing, but now i get it. love this thater, but still want to try quite a few more, but dont we all :001_smile

Brushes are the most exciting part for me because the way they feel on my face sort of sets the tone for the shave. After that is soap and lastly the edge of my razor being well honed (the razor itself doesn't seem to alter the shave to me, just the edge on it)

Received my Thater 4125/1 from US. Never had the opportunity to touch or feel this, before i purchased it and got it shipped. Honestly, i was not truly convinced with the performance (YMMV - of course). The tips are soft as any. The fullness of bristles, when soaked can blow you away. Will give run for the money for any brush around in that sense. The handle is beautiful, the loft is what it should be and amazing backbone - neither too lean nor too stiff!
The only thing i expected from this brush was to produce butter thick lather, and that's where i felt the issue. Used the French Unilever soap which i picked up from Paris. Not the best soap if you ask me, but that's what makes the brush efficient. If it can produce consistent lather across soaps (or near consistent lather), then its "the brush". I tried bowl as well as face lathering, but could not get that butter layer I yearn for in every shave i perform.
May be performance changes with change in soap. Will keep experimenting.
But yes, this brush will not be the top runner in my rotation.Wont put it away either!

Top Bottom