What's new

Looking for a daily/nightly facial moisturizer

Greetings, gents! I'm sure that this is an oft asked question around these parts, but I have VERY finicky skin, so I've got to be pretty selective with what I use on my face. Long story short, I've yet to find a moisturizer that DOESN'T break me out. Ones with SPF tend to be worse in my experience. I've tried Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture for combo skin, TBS Tea Tree face lotion, TBS Seaweed line of moisturizers, Everyman Jack Peppermint face lotion, and a CVS brand Oil-Free Moisturizer with SPF...none of them have I cared for.

Here's what I'm looking for:

Non-codmogenic/won't clog me up/break me out
Unscented or VERY lightly scented (I prefer my aftershaves)
Relatively inexpensive (I can fudge on this a little bit, but don't want to spend an arm and a leg)
NOT oily/shiny. My skin is oily/shiny enough on it's own. Mattifying would be a bonus.

I don't mind ordering online atall, but if there's something that I could pick up on my way home from work at CVS or Walgreen's that'd be great. What do you guys think?? Thanks in advance!

Laroche-Posay CICAPLAST Baume B5.

It is a very good moisturizer. A little bit goes a long way and has amazing soothing and healing power.

Very faint smell (no fragrance), can be bought at any drugstore for $15-20.

Goes on pretty matte (no shine).

For the value this is a very good product.

You may also look into unrefined shea butter : there is nothing more natural and gentle for the skin, plus, the moisturizing properties are terrific.

It's a little pricy but Cetaphil works wonderfully. Not greasy and really moisturizes well. Aveeno makes a really nice oatmeal moisturizer as well, it's probably cheaper.

Last edited:
Laroche-Posay CICAPLAST Baume B5.

It is a very good moisturizer. A little bit goes a long way and has amazing soothing and healing power.

Very faint smell (no fragrance), can be bought at any drugstore for $15-20.

Goes on pretty matte (no shine).

For the value this is a very good product.

You may also look into unrefined shea butter : there is nothing more natural and gentle for the skin, plus, the moisturizing properties are terrific.

After reading some reviews on this stuff, I'm thinking that this might be just what I need. I noticed that you're in Canada...I wonder if pharmacies in the US would carry this product as well? I found some online vendors, but most of them were international which=long transit time. The price is definitely a bonus too.

They do not seem to sell in the US from what I see.

I may have one tube somewhere that is almost unused. If I find it I'll PIF it to you :)

Last edited:
More votes for Aveeno or unrefined shea butter. These days I mostly use the shea butter. Definitely oily/shiny though, and you have said you don't want that. Aveeno is cheap enough and is really good.

Big thanks to sharpen for his generosity! I'm anxious to try the Laroche-Posey CICAPLAST Baume B5! I'm also curious about the unrefined shea butter idea, possibly as a night moisturizer seeing as how it's a bit oilier/shinier. Where do you guys get yours from? Any particular vendor you could recommend? Thanks again!

I've been using Eucurin. Since the weather turned cold the dry air and other shave products have been making my face breakout something terrible. Also Eucurin was recommended by my doctor when the chemo was causing skin problems. I'm actually using the same tub. A little goes a long way. It's great stuff.

I've been using Eucurin. Since the weather turned cold the dry air and other shave products have been making my face breakout something terrible. Also Eucurin was recommended by my doctor when the chemo was causing skin problems. I'm actually using the same tub. A little goes a long way. It's great stuff.
I'll pick some up the next time I'm at CVS! I noticed today that my skin is getting a little dryer with the weather as well...could this double as a body lotion too? If not, I'm sure that they make something for that too. So many choices!

p.s. GO CATS!

Bio-Oil is by far the best moisturizer that I have ever used. This little 60mL bottle cost me ~$10 on Amazon and I have another 200mL bottle that I bought for around $18. I use 4 drops on my face twice per day, once in the morning after shaving and again at night before bed. The 60mL bottle lasts me at least 4 months, which is about how long I have been using it and I've gotten a lot of compliments on the softness and smoothness of my face
$BP10016439_1-bio-oil-60-ml.jpg

Last edited:
This stuff sounds amazing but is unfortunately out of my price range UNLESS the discount is a large one, lol! Thanks for the recommendation though.

It is $49.30 after the "club" discount. Since you use such a small amount per application (I apply before going to bed), the container will last two people (my wife and I) about 6 months.

Drop in their wonderful Signature scent shave cream and some of their bath soap (Invigorate, Spa and Signature) to get "free" shipping and some freebies to boot

Last edited:
I see that you've tried Neutrogena Moisture for Combo Skin. Have you tried Oil-Free Neutrogena Moisture for Sensitive Skin? Been using this for years and find it to be great -- moisturizing but not greasy. Wife loves it too, and that's saying something ;-)

It is $49.30 after the "club" discount. Since you use such a small amount per application (I apply before going to bed), the container will last two people (my wife and I) about 6 months.

Drop in their wonderful Signature scent shave cream and some of their bath soap (Invigorate, Spa and Signature) to get "free" shipping and some freebies to boot
Maybe I can talk my wife into getting a tub for the both of us? [emoji6]
I see that you've tried Neutrogena Moisture for Combo Skin. Have you tried Oil-Free Neutrogena Moisture for Sensitive Skin? Been using this for years and find it to be great -- moisturizing but not greasy. Wife loves it too, and that's saying something ;-)
I'm not sure that I have ever tried the one for sensitive skin. My skin is oily in the t zone with some dry patches, so I figured that combination would be the perfect one for me... Obviously not so.

You know, perhaps I may not understand or missed something, but I have read about women putting on Noxzema overnight as a skin conditioner. Would that be feasible?

You know, perhaps I may not understand or missed something, but I have read about women putting on Noxzema overnight as a skin conditioner. Would that be feasible?
I've never tried Noxzema personally. I suppose that could be an option. I just hope I find something that works PERFECTLY for MY skin. I've tried so many different products over the years and have yet to have a moment where I said, "this is the _________ for me!" Hopefully that moment will occur before I spend all of my money, lol!

Top Bottom